RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with an annoying vibration in their RRS? I have a 2008 RRS and for the past couple of months there has been a very noticeable vibration coming from somewhere in the engine. I can feel it on the shifter, steering wheel, and pedals. It only occurs when the gears are engaged (either in drive or reverse) and promptly goes away once I press on the accelerator. But sure enough, it comes back once the car is idling. When in neutral or park, there is no vibration. I took it to the dealership earlier this month. They had it for a week and could not figure out where the vibration was coming from. They assured me that there was nothing "functionally" wrong with the engine and that they would send an inquiry request to Land Rover UK. I called the shop back a couple weeks later, and they still had no word from LR-UK. They did, however, have another customer bring in his RRS with the same complaint. They are trying to troubleshoot on his ride and then will attempt the same fix on mine. But since we are the only two thus far that have had this problem, there is no timetable as to when they will actually figure out the source of the vibration. I'm hoping that someone here has had the same issue and can enlighten me so that I can finally have my baby running smoothly again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have it a little bit too but I kinda like it.

I had a Lexus before. It didn't vibrate. And I about fell asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
pAthdoc said:
Has anyone had any problems with an annoying vibration in their RRS? I have a 2008 RRS and for the past couple of months there has been a very noticeable vibration coming from somewhere in the engine. I can feel it on the shifter, steering wheel, and pedals. It only occurs when the gears are engaged (either in drive or reverse) and promptly goes away once I press on the accelerator. But sure enough, it comes back once the car is idling. When in neutral or park, there is no vibration. I took it to the dealership earlier this month. They had it for a week and could not figure out where the vibration was coming from. They assured me that there was nothing "functionally" wrong with the engine and that they would send an inquiry request to Land Rover UK. I called the shop back a couple weeks later, and they still had no word from LR-UK. They did, however, have another customer bring in his RRS with the same complaint. They are trying to troubleshoot on his ride and then will attempt the same fix on mine. But since we are the only two thus far that have had this problem, there is no timetable as to when they will actually figure out the source of the vibration. I'm hoping that someone here has had the same issue and can enlighten me so that I can finally have my baby running smoothly again.
Read this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37693

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rafa said:
Thanks for that link. Just for clarification though, when you stated "Done! all systems as designed. I did the "hard reset" and throttle is back to " bothers the wife mode". There should be a switch in the dash that performed the whole "hard reset". "....did that resolve all your vibration problems?

·
Registered
670 Posts
pAthdoc said:
rafa said:
Thanks for that link. Just for clarification though, when you stated "Done! all systems as designed. I did the "hard reset" and throttle is back to " bothers the wife mode". There should be a switch in the dash that performed the whole "hard reset". "....did that resolve all your vibration problems?

Yes the weird shutter (vibration) when I came to a stop is gone, and the car is back to it's peppy self. For the record I was the only person that was even aware of the "shutter" that's how minute it was. But you know how we are HYPER sensitive to our RRS behaviors and nuances.

Thank god for this forum.

Rafa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, my vibration isn't quite that minute. Initially it was not too noticeable; my wife thought I was being paranoid. Gradually, the vibration became more an more noticeable, and now she can tell it's there. It's weird though....there are times when the vibration is strong and other times when it's less intense.

·
Registered
670 Posts
pAthdoc, run the hard reset and see what happens, it won't hurt a thing and might make your bluetooth work better `)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rafa said:
pAthdoc, run the hard reset and see what happens, it won't hurt a thing and might make your bluetooth work better `)
I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
670 Posts
pAthdoc;

Shudder/Vibration is back, it's definitely an electrical load and seemingly temperature related, the common denominator being that it's below 45 degrees outside when it occurs. I purposely left my car outside last night, started it this morning and all was fine until auto-headlights and heater came on, then the shudder began; the idle increased automatically and the shudder goes away, only to comeback again a few seconds later and idle raises to correct the shudder.
Beginning to wonder whether it's a battery thing.

Rafa

·
Registered
670 Posts
How long where you guys going to let me spell shutter instead of shudder? where's UR when I need him to set me straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can confirm that it is an electrical load issue. I'm the author of the 'two nagging problems" post bringing up the vibration issue. When I switch on the front or rear window defrosters, the issue is significantly worse but just the regular interior heater makes a difference - turn the heat off and the vibration disappears. So from that, two questions:

1. Are there specific diagnostic steps to go through and identify and then rectify (pun intended) the issue? I'm specifically thinking in terms of bringing the vehicle to the dealer and them having something specific to follow - otherwise they seem clueless when it comes to self determined diagnostics and fixes.
2. How, if at all, does this relate to the very slight but real point of hesitation when accelerating from a very slow rolling stop?

So you do not need to go back to my original post, I have a 2008 RRS HSE, owned since new, and I've had the transmission flash program stuff performed early in my ownership.

Thanks in advance for the continued help... we're finally getting somewhere.

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not believe that there are specific diagnostic steps that the dealership can go through in order to identify the problem. My dealer ran the full gamut of diagnostics (at least that's what I was told) and could not pinpoint the exact origin of the vibration. I neglected to mention to them about the "hesitation" when coming out of a rolling stop, but it appears as though these two issues have been a complaint of many others so there must be some sort of connection between the two.

I think I agree with your thoughts about this being an electrical issue. My problems popped up around the same time that we had some really cold temperatures, and now that it's starting to warm up outside (and I'm using less of the heaters) the vibration seems to have quelled a bit. I plan on taking her in soon and I'll let you guys know how everything works out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts