RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
An other tire question for RRS 2011, Discount tire refuses to put 103 load cap....

I purchased this car a few months ago with 19 inch tires. It had 4 Continental 255/50 19's of which one was damaged so I told them to replace 2 tires to keep it somewhat even. They replaced the 2 worst tires with new 2 Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric SUV tires. It drives ok but I can tell 4 of the same tires would give me better tracking/handling so I decided to replace the 2 Continentals with 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Come to find out that the ones the dealer installed in the first place were 103W load capacity tires. When I called Discount tires they told me that the vehicle requires tires with a load capacity of 107 and they are not allowed to put 103's according to regulations. Of course the 103's are cheaper, actually a pretty decent tire at only $135/tire. The 107's cost $200+/tire and would mean I would have to buy 4 new tires, something I would like to avoid if I can since I already have 2 new tires on the car.
So my question is first of all, did the dealer install 2 new tires that were not compatible according to regulations or is the guy at Discount tires blowing smoke? Again I prefer to spend my money on other things but if I have to bend over I may as well buy a set of 4 used 20inch RRS rims with michelin 275/45 tires with 70/80% threat wear I have seen for sale at $1700, can maybe knock off 100...
Thoughts?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Re: An other tire question for RRS 2011, Discount tire refuses to put 103 load cap...

Discount Tire is not taking chances, and they are right. They won't install tires with a load index lower than what the manufacturer uses or recommends, as they would be in an ocean of trouble should something happen to you and/or your vehicle due to a tire blowout. On the Sport, you could probably get away with a 106 load index (in fact, many of their OEM 20" wheels have such a load index, if you check their own Approved Tire Matrix), anything less could be trouble if you load your vehicle to its maximum payload capacity and/or do any towing. Looks like the dealer installed the wrong tires for your car. The 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym. SUV that Land Rover recommends have indeed a 107Y LI, and those are the ones you should use, as indicated on the above matrix of approved tires. Perhaps you can go back to the dealer and show them they made a mistake, they may refund your money for those cheaper GY they sold you.

IMHO, with a car this heavy, you should never skimp on tires. Buy the best tire you can afford for the type of terrain you will mostly be driving on, and follow the manufacturer's recommedations if possible, at least as far as load index and speed rating are concerned.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Re: An other tire question for RRS 2011, Discount tire refuses to put 103 load cap...

I agree - 103 is too light and certainly not legal here and I assume over there. 106 for 20" tyres is the lightest you can go and 107 for 19".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the responses and I whole heartedly agree that I rather spend extra money for the appropriate tires, I just was not aware of these load capacity values and what they really meant.

·
Registered
624 Posts

You should have a sticker something like this somewhere - mine is on the drivers door (RHD). Click on pic to see in full size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts