RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Peeps,

So I changed my oil today, I recently purchased a 2004 RR HSC at a pretty good price, knowing there were going to be some issues. And as I have mentioned on other posts, I really like this truck. And want to make sure I do all the obvious maintenance that may have been neglected prior to my purchase.

So the first thing I did as per the atlantic british video is remove the oil filter housing cap. So the weird thing is that as soon as I open up the housing oil starts pouring out over the sides. baybe 200 ml or so came out, so nothing too crazy. But I thought this was weird, so prior to proceeding I checked the Rave manual and it says we should be revoving the drain plug and draining prior to removing the oil filter cap.

Do I have anything to be worried about? This doesn't seem normal as it indicates there was pressure built up somewhere.

All help appreciated as always. I am new to these trucks and want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

Alfred Scott

·
Registered
309 Posts
How quickly did you unscrew the cap and how hot was the engine? You have to go slow, especially at the end of the thread. I also like to open up the oil cap and pop the dipstick out, to get most of the oil drain into the pan, but filter housing will always have some left, and that's what probably happened with you where you just unscrewed the top too fast on a hot engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

It definately wasn't cold, but it also wasn't anywhere near operating temperature either. I will keep this in mind when I do the next oil change. There are definately some things I could have done to mitigate this.

Thanks,

Alfred Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts