Range Rovers Forum banner

An Interesting Article For Owners With Rovers That Run Hot

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  desertboy 
#1 ·
I found this article while just searching around the internet for radiators and what not for my rover. Mine has been overheating lately, at least I thought it was until I found out the gauge was giving incorrect temps. My a/c is leaking somewhere and I searched around for a condenser and evaporator I figured I would replace my oil coolers and radiator while I have everything torn apart and stumbled upon this article. http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/ ... ch2006.asp I did not realize how complex an overheating problem can be. This article is very good for any land rover and goes from basic to very complex descriptions of possible cooling problems.

#2 ·
Re: An Interesting Article For Owners With Rovers That Run Hot

Thanks for the article. It really got me thinking. I have a 1999 Gems p38 with the Vin range mentioned on the article, it falls on to the Ethylene glycol. However, I changed the engine back in Jan 2008. The new engine was a long block Bosch from a Discovery converted to fit a Gems setup (Intake, oil pump, Timing Chain, Crank sensor....etc). So far, I have been using Ethylene glycol without any overheating issues here in sunny Arizona. According to the article, I should be using Dex-Cool.
Any advice? or am I overreacting after a one blown engine.

#3 ·

Well, I wouldn't switch coolant now because you do not want the two to mix and react. I suppose you could flush the whole system but, I don't think it is worth it. Dexcool was just bmw's bright idea, I have no idea why they did it and I do not care for the stuff. OAT works great but is just required to be changed more often. In the end, coolant is coolant, just make sure you are continuously using the same stuff. Problems occur when two different types of coolant mix :D . By the way, what caused your last engine to blow?

#4 ·

lrscott said:
Well, I wouldn't switch coolant now because you do not want the two to mix and react. I suppose you could flush the whole system but, I don't think it is worth it. Dexcool was just bmw's bright idea, I have no idea why they did it and I do not care for the stuff. OAT works great but is just required to be changed more often. In the end, coolant is coolant, just make sure you are continuously using the same stuff. Problems occur when two different types of coolant mix :D . By the way, what caused your last engine to blow?

Definately, DO NOT MIX those two. I bought a low mile Cadillac from a buddies dad, thinking he took good care of it, until I took it in for service just after I got it. When the guy pulled the cap to check it there was the "ooze from hell" in my radiator! :shock: The car had been sitting for a year so I made sure the lubricants were topped off and I went straight to my favorite lube shop. Turns out, the last service had been for winterizing and the coolant was checked and topped off.

As you know, sometimes a model will look the same for several years during which time things you don't see get changed. As is the case of the 94-95 Cadillac DeVille, on the outside they seemed unchanged but in fact everything from engine (4.9 OHV in 94 to 4.6 Northstar in 95) to suspension to seat engineering and so the engine cooling system. Where as my car, being a 94, called for Ethylene Glychol the 95 called for DexCool - the previous service kid was probably in a Northstar mindset when he topped the system with DexCool insted of the GlyChol. :twisted: Lucky for me I found a shop that was experienced in this issue. Three power flushes with deionized water, replace all the hoses, replace the thermostat and $400 later :crybaby2: (and that was lucky because the heater core was somehow spared! :roll: ) the "Blob" was exorcized from my cooling system - and two hail Marys later I'm back on the street again. I Dodged a bullett! :clap:

#6 ·

lrscott said:
Thanks for the advise. As for the reason why the previous engine left a big hole on the side of the No:7 Bore after owning the car for a month, I can only speculate:
When I first bought it, it had a coolant leak from the valley gasket. All I can think of is that the PO overheated it. However, there were no indications as to the state of the engine as it sounded normal and smooth with no sign of overheating.
After replacing the engine, I pretty much went through and fixed a long list of problems. All I have left to fix is the RF-Door sensor (intermittent RF-Door open warning that goes away when I open and shut the door) and possibly the Blend motors or stuck flaps (Book symbol).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.