RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today for the first time I ahve experienced an actual EAS fault.The system usually rises and lowers between heights in about 10-15 secs.But today it would not rise from Highway to normal,The normal light flashed as per usual and remained doing so until all four leds came on permanently and the message centre said EAS FAULT. But I am prepared as I have a EAS kicker on hand in the Rover.So at my destination ,I quickly connected up to read the fault and do a reset.Oh but not so simple the Kicker always came up with Communication error No 4.

So this pm I drove home with the fault(but not on the bump stops luckily) .At home I fired up the MSV and read the fault as compressor fault and reset it.The system now works as earlier.ie will not rise up even though the pump runs and there is an air output from the pump although weak.So I changed the pump for an old one I had replaced which took a long to fill the tank,buit I know worked.Still no luck.
So Now I am thinking diaphram as the tank dosent seem to fill and the eas will not rise.Not had the time to strip the manifold yet,

Anyone agree with this?.Any other suggestions would be most welcome.Oh and the EAS kicker still wont read the EAS,but the MSV does :crybaby2: :roll:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really cant type here what I want to type here out of fear :|

On the other side, maybe its something electrical. :think:
If the car springs are working, and the pump works, that only leaves a leaking tank, EAS brain, or, that little thing with all the cylinders that sends air to each individual wheel. Or, maybe the height sensors?

The truck doesnt drop at all??? Thats a nice fault...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Im pretty sure if the diaphragm is shot, it will exhaust air out of the exhaust muffler while the compressor is on.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
You're saying the output from the pump is weak. When I rebuilt mine with a new sleeve and piston, I could hardly hold my finger over the air outlet :thumb:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shupack said:
yep, start with the cheap and easy, rebuild your pump.
Dennis,you are right.I still have the rebuild kit I bought from you years ago,when you started up .Will install this weekend and see.Just surprised that the output of the pump just suddenly over night,dropped off to the point where the system could no longer pump enough air to raise the vehicle.It must be something catastrophic to happen so quickly. :roll:

·
Registered
37 Posts
John W said:
Just surprised that the output of the pump just suddenly over night,dropped off to the point where the system could no longer pump enough air to raise the vehicle.It must be something catastrophic to happen so quickly.
Don't be. Those Thomas piston pumps are exactly like that. You might find some reduction in output as it wears, but the failure will be a "proper" failure when it happens. You'll also find that it takes a few goes to get the new bits bedded and the pump fully outputting.

I only know this stuff cos I work with this type of pump on a pretty much daily basis :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just rebuilt the pump with a new piston and sleeve.The old crank would not come off the amature shaft,so I removed the rear of the motor cover to get hold of the armature and turn it while locking the crank.to loosen the crank from the shaft,Came off after quite a fight.Now to get the rear cover back on the armature.Anyone have a method to hold the commutator brushes apart while sliding the cover back over the armature :pray: :pray:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
A bit of springy wire, or use a narrow tool (allenkey works well) to slide in the gap and push the springs back, it'll take a couple tries.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shupack said:
A bit of springy wire, or use a narrow tool (allenkey works well) to slide in the gap and push the springs back, it'll take a couple tries.
I dont quite get what you mean by sliding in the gap.Are you doing it with the front end of the motor attached to the pump housing or have you removed :? the armature from the front bearing as well and thus can slide the cyclindrical cover back over the armature from the front of the motor once the rear plate and brushes are installed on the communtator.
With the motor still attached to the pump,there is no space to slide anything between the back cover and main cover to try and push the brushes in so they slide onto the commutator. :?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Dennis you were right of course :thumb: :thumb: ,finally managed to reassemble the pump,.Quite fiddly though :roll: :roll: :roll:
EAS now working again :dance:

Pump I took out P/N 327CDC50/12 is one the dealer installed when I bought the RR.He left me the old standard one which I have now refitted.
Who knows this model/? Better /worse than the orginal :think:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
John W said:
Thanks Dennis you were right of course :thumb: :thumb: ,finally managed to reassemble the pump,.Quite fiddly though :roll: :roll: :roll:
EAS now working again :dance:

Pump I took out P/N 327CDC50/12 is one the dealer installed when I bought the RR.He left me the old standard one which I have now refitted.
Who knows this model/? Better /worse than the orginal :think:
no problem :)

the 327 is a great pump, but the 50/12 doesn't work as well, it's got a larger piston, so more volume BUT doesn't reach the high pressure required by the RR as well, so it draws more current and goes slower at higher pressures. The 56/12 is a better option. A rebuild kit may be an option to change it from the 50 to the 56, I'll check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts