Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Range Rover Classic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my first oil filter and oil change today and could use some help.

What type of oil should I use? (I live in Southern California)

Once the oil is all drained, how much oil should I put back in?

Any advice on what to lookout for would be appreciated.

1992 Range Rover Classic 3.8

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Usually just over 8 pints total (awkward as you need more than 1 can) drain and refill sump OR replace oil filter with partly filled new item individually and not both together. It's a gear type oil pump and just may evacuate the pump head if you have both drained at the same time.

Oil choice, that's always a split decision on forums :) but I use currently 10w 40 synthetic to a VW spec 501.01 as it offers high durability formulation to protect camshaft components along with other elements.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
682 Posts
Here in SoCal my oil of choice is Mobile 1 10w-40 high mileage (even on my new motor) as the friction modifiers are beneficial in older flat tappet engines like these and the seal preservers help reduce potential leaks. High quality synthetic is formlated to function at higher temperatures than conventional as well, so if you run it hard the oil won't lose it's proerties as quickly. It should take about 6ish quarts with a filter change. Also, use a good filter, like Wix or Bosch or Purolator, cheap filters like microgard or fram have inferior filtering media and aren't worth the couple dollar savings.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
102 Posts
The repair manual says 5.68 liters [6 quarts] from dry, although I usually see somewhere between 5-6 quarts.
RPi Engineering recommends conventional Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Land Rover oil filters, which I've always used as a baseline.
I've compared using synthetic vs. conventional and different brands and grades of oil without much to report. I think anything between 10w40 and 20w50 is probably fine, but to LanceL's point, it's definitely worth buying a good oil filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.