RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Range Rover and my air suspension system died on me about 6 months ago. I think it is an air compressor issue, and I now get repeated "suspension fault" warnings whenever I start up, about not driving over 50 km/hour or whatever the limit is. The suspension sits at its lowest level and I've been driving on it like this since the issue started. I want to know if I'm doing serious damage to my truck by driving it this way. Am I putting extra stress on my shocks now, or is that unrelated? I've been putting off repairs because I'm recently short on cash and know that the fix is probably going to cost in the thousands, and I can't justify paying it if I'm not causing irreversible damage to my truck. If it's just a matter of not being able to raise it up or down, I don't care at the moment. Please share your wisdom on the subject.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Put 24" chrome rims on and you'll fetch top dollars for it from some forum members here. :lol:

Never mind the extra stress on the vehicle, isn't the ride unbearably harsh at access height all the time? At least get it checked from a reputable LR independent, it may not necessarily be a bad compressor, EAS module or other expensive repair... Sometimes it's just a broken sensor, link or stuck valve somewhere.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
umbertob said:
Put 24" chrome rims on and you'll fetch top dollars for it from some forum members here. :lol:
Hahaha...

Def get that looked at before you assume it's going to be, "thousands." Find a good independent! It could be anything.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I wouldn't shotgun the problem with a compressor though, that usually isn't the problem... Not saying it isn't, but more often than not it's something else. Thats the dealers most popular line, "you need a new compressor," or the almost as famous, "you need a new computer." :lol:

Once it's in hard fault, it's impossible to trouble shoot... He'll need someone with test book or maybe he can buy one of those handy USB suspension readers... It's probably something stupid and a 1/2 hour repair...

Let us know how you do!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, the "compressor" line is what the dealer told me.
i have a feeling it's the sensor.
so, i'm not doing any serious damage to the truck, then?
I'd like to take it to an independent, but i live in a smaller town (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) with very few RR independents that I know of.
anyone know of a trustworthy Rover mechanic in south western ontario?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whoops, spoke too soon. that shop has now moved to Jackson, Michigan.
so, if anyone knows a good independent in southwestern, Ontario, Canada, let me know please.
thanks,
don

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I wouldn't drive it around like that, in-fact I don't even know how you can... I had to drive mine to a shop a couple of years ago on bumps and couldn't get it fixed fast enough.

Search the forum, there is an obd2 scanner that will pull and clear the air suspension codes, it's around $200, which is just about what the dealer charges to clear your codes... From there the device plugs into USB and spits out a txt file reporting all your trouble codes...

Anything that can cause a hard fault will eventually lead to the range sitting on bump stops, its how the range protects itself from further damage, by locking the compressor out etc. Maybe you had a sticking valve that caused the code, it could literally be as easy as clearing the codes. It could be a leaking air hose, strut, or bag... Whatever it was that caused it, you need to pull the code, then replace the part...

When this happened to me the code was explained as, "overpressure to compressor tank," a valve stuck and wouldn't allow the tank to purge excess pressure, so it locked me out... Codes cleared it popped right back up

keep us posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
radante said:
whoops, spoke too soon. that shop has now moved to Jackson, Michigan.
so, if anyone knows a good independent in southwestern, Ontario, Canada, let me know please.
thanks,
don
Hi radante, might be woth checking out this place:

http://nvcustomsauto.com/index.aspx

I think they are based in Markam and are ex land rover staff.
I have not used them but have heard thier name mentioned before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you guys are saying is making great sense, and I greatly appreciate your input. Everything you opine meshes with other things I have read on the internet about similar problems with the Range Rover air suspension and the fault codes. Could it just be that I need a seal on my compressor and that the compressor is not busted.
http://www.furioustees.com/Range_rover_ ... a4446.html

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
radante said:
What you guys are saying is making great sense, and I greatly appreciate your input. Everything you opine meshes with other things I have read on the internet about similar problems with the Range Rover air suspension and the fault codes. Could it just be that I need a seal on my compressor and that the compressor is not busted.
I think the most essential step at this point is to get the codes pulled, clearing them may be all you need to do... If there is a problem, the codes will tell the story! At that point post up your results and I'm sure someone here, myself included can lay out the repair process.

It would prob make sense to buy the air suspension code reader /clearer ($200), especially if you don't mind working on the truck yourself and there are no close repair shops.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
radante said:
I could be wrong, but AFAIK, there is no compressor rebuild kit available for the MKIII RR... just the P38 version. If that is not the case though, I'd love to know more since I'm sure one day my compressor will kick the bucket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts