Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last post on this job was meant to inform and entertain.

In this one, I am asking for validation of my existence, as well as on a rogue step I took in fitting the new gasket and pump.

In removing the old gasket, I noticed there were some preexisting pocks and that I had made some new scrapes. i wasn't tremendously worried about it, it was just an observation.

I also noticed that there were some of the same conditions on the new pump.

I had some water pump RTV sealant at my work bench. I applied it to both sides of the gasket since I had it.

So, am I an idiot for doing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that next guy will likely be me. I hope to have this thing until 200K miles.

I've used this sealant before. It is actually a gasketing sealant. I or the next guy should be able to easily scrape it off. It dries in a rubbery texture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the interest of posting for posterity, My water pump started leaking a couple of weeks ago - again. As you can see from the initial date of this post, I got 2 years out of the water pump or gasket. Quite a shame, I thought.

So, I cannot say exactly whether or not it started leaking so prematurely due to the RTV sealant I used. All I know is that the gasket was extraordinarily easy to get off this time as opposed to last. Next, I did not use the RTV sealant this time - just the paper gasket. I currently do not have a leak but will keep this post updated.

Here is another interesting tidbit of information. I was not going to replace the pump just yet since the leak was minor. I did not mind topping up the coolant by about a half a quart a week. However, this week I got a a Service Engine Soon light and the rover was running roughly. I actually thought I had lost a spark plug or wire. The OBDII Fault Code was P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor. I have had this code before, along with a few associated ones, and it ended up being a battery cable issue and a blowing of a fuse. However, this time, it was only the P0340 code. As the camshaft position sensor was located just below the coolant leak, I figured this issue was related to the leak. So, I went ahead and replaced the pump. I pulled the Camshaft Position Sensor as well. I figured it was an electrical issue rather than a failed sensor. My intent was to clean the connectors as they were assuredly corroded. Upon inspecting the gummed up sensor connector, I was dissatisfied with the cleaning. I rolled the dice and clipped the connector out of the circuit. I then spliced the wires together and reconnected the sensor. I put the water pump back together again and all seems to be well.

Take this for what it is worth. Hopefully it helps someone someday. Now I just need to find the leaks in the EAS of my P38.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it looks like I got a false positive on the camshaft position sensor fix. I took it on a test drive yesterday and all seemed fine. When I left today, the rover was riding rough. Now I suppose it is the sensor itself or the wiring to the sensor. I sure hope it is the former since replacing it seems to be the clearest path.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am concerned at the moment. I pulled my camshaft position sensor and it was coated with oil. I do not recall it being coated with oil when I pulled it previously. I hope I do not have some sort of internal engine leak.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed the issue. The power cable somehow got situated next to the exhaust manifold and a ground wire got severed. I repaired it and all is well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leftlanetruckin said:
On every motor I swap out or remove, that **** camshaft sensor plug breaks off the wire.... :oops:
Not one other connection will break, but that one will everytime. I crimp on a new heat shrink spade connector and have yet to have any issues.
Re the RTV, I use a THIN smearing of Permatex Blue on every water pump I put on. No leaks, and there is really no way for the RTV to cause a leak to be honest.
Water pumps are a service item on these rigs, @50k miles or a couple of years is all I expect from them, regardless of make installed.

Martin
Well, I have a leak in my water pump after just replacing it a few weeks ago. Just when I think I've been getting good at this, my amateur status keeps showing itself. I now have to remove the water pump and attach the gasket, this time with the RTV sealant. Man, I'm having a rough time of it. At least this is a relatively simple procedure..... unless, of course, the new gasket has already fused to the mating surfaces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.