Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
On every motor I swap out or remove, that **** camshaft sensor plug breaks off the wire.... :oops:
Not one other connection will break, but that one will everytime. I crimp on a new heat shrink spade connector and have yet to have any issues.
Re the RTV, I use a THIN smearing of Permatex Blue on every water pump I put on. No leaks, and there is really no way for the RTV to cause a leak to be honest.
Water pumps are a service item on these rigs, @50k miles or a couple of years is all I expect from them, regardless of make installed.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
If you indeed suspect the cam sensor, pull the wire and check the plug has a good connection. They will break as soon as you look at them.
After that part, the wiring disappears into the main engine loom!

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
the front cover is the oil seal on our rigs. The front main seal is on the front cover, and the front pulley slides into it all to seal it up from outside.
Granted I have never noticed a cam sensor coated with oil, but that part of the motor is "wet" to a certain extent.
I would be checking the PCV system to ensure it isnt creating too much pressure and blowing it around too much.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
I have never had an issue with the sensor itself Carl, just the flimsy wire that plugs onto it :?
It's just a spade connector that lets a little moisture into the plug itself, thus making the wire brittle after a little corrosion sets in. At least thats what I have found with the ones I have messed with. Now I just have the correct size spade connector on hand that already has the heat shrink built into it :thumb:

Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.