RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, forum

First off, happy summer! So a while back I replaced my alternator using some brand other than Bosch. I still have my Bosch alternator and am wondering if it is worth refurbishing it and putting it back into the truck. What makes the Bosch the "better" unit? Would refurbishing it alter any of its better qualities? Appreciate any input. For the record, my current alternator is doing great and has not given me a single issue and comes with a life time warranty from where I bought it.

Best,
Ashtray

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
492 Posts
bosch units are very well built , as they say you get what you pay for . yes I would rebuild the unit if its rebuild able new bearings and regulator ,cheap if you can do it yourself

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I've been through about 5 alternators in ~12 years. For 6 years, I had prepaid mechanical insurance so they just replaced them (at their cost), however since the insurance expired I've fixed it once myself.

It is most likely to be the 'regulator' unit (- the black block that bolts on the end, that varies the control current supplied to the central field winding). Take the alternator to an auto-electrical supplier and you should be able to get a replacement 'regulator' for about 5% of the cost of a new alternator from LR.

If you are unlucky, then it will be one of the six diodes (- which are not part of the regulator); melted stator-wiring; or maybe bad bearings. You maybe able to replace bearings, but getting replacement diodes or stator-wiring will be more tricky.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi,

Yes the Bosch unit is a pretty solid piece of kit. I replaced a bearing (about 20 bucks in local Timken dealer) and a Bosch regulator /Brushes which I found on Ebay for 50. It is really the centre of the car, considering it's like a maze of stuff that all consume. The 14.2 volts at the alternator is the key to these cars imo.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
Bookmarked that page aswell.... I hadn't been able to find replacement parts for the alternators before... I know mine has a bearing whine, so might look at doing something about it at some point!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts