RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..hi guys..i have just received brand new alternator for my P38, so its going to be installed, this weekend..thats fine..now, old one, which is about to be replaced, was producing some weird whining noise, so i guess, bearing is out or brushes?? Either way, i would like to rebuild old one but i do not know, where to get rebuild kit for it. Car is 1997, 4.6 V8 GEMS, HSE .. any help is more than welcome..

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
There is a detailed alternator rebuild/upgrade write up in the home page repairs section. It may be in the Classic section but the alternators are basically the same.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I recently went through in preparation to rebuild the alternator. When I pulled the belt off, I found the tensioner pulley just below the alternator (mine is Bosch so may be different) to be spinning on its seized bearing. Could have sworn the noise was coming from the alternator, even felt the vibration with my hand on the alternator case. Even if is the alternator, might want to replace both fixed and spring loaded pulley at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts