RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So... The alternator of my DSE just died, I stripped the alternator to find that the bushes are gone, ok that fine, it last 300.000kms without any fault :D , I thought to change them but the place were they touch the rotor are worn out... Well this led me to have 2 questions...

1st, were can I buy parts/components for alternators (I googled but don't find anything consistent..)?

2nd, Can I put a 150A on a diesel one? They came with 105A (DT DSE) or 120A (DHSE) but the option of 150A only came on the 4.6 2000 forward.. Who already have a 150A mounted?

I intend to do this mod also because I planning to put a winch on it later.

Thanks
Regards,

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,437 Posts
I have a winch fitted and my alternator is the standard 120 amp version fitted to the later DSE's.

If yours is shot however you can get your existing one rewound (or exchange it).

There is a guy on UK Ebay advertising anything from 150 amp up to even 200 amp rewinds:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-AMP-UPRATED-H ... 19bdeadbf1

I have heard he is pretty good. The above example is for a Mercedes as the p38 one is not listed.

A 200 amp alternator would be nice.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,

I was checking my old unit and finally after cleaning and cleaning and cleaning I got the part number/reference on it... `)

Valeo 2541694 0
A13V.... (something illegible)
And it is a 105A unit.. (to charge an original 107A battery, and run all the stuff on the rig when moving... well done LR :clap: :clap: :evil: )

Are you sure that your alternator is a 120A unit? Can you take a picture, reference or so? That will help me a lot, even 120A is better then the original 105A which is short for all the electric components on the P38... :think:

My question remains.. If I put a stronger alternator, will I be "frying" the electric components like Becm, EMC, or the system take it? I believe that if the 4.6 takes the 150A the others too... I guess...

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi Sérgio,

It doesn't work like that.

The output voltage will still be the same regardless of the size of the alternator so you won't "fry" everything.
Also everthing is fused so there shouldn't be a problem.

However you have opened up a can of worms. I have just checked my alternator and there is no visible number on it.
It only says Valeo. I read somewhere - I can't remember where - that my model has a 120 amp alternator.

However ...........I have just entered my VIN details into Microcat and it comes up as ........105 amp !
(STC2227 or STC 2228E exchange). Got me confused now.

Dave
:(

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Mine it's a Valeo too. In the DSE I think that all the original alternators are 105A.. Only the DHSE is 120A I think... (because have even more electric parts, like the electric seats, or the mirror, etc).

Regards,
Sérgio

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi Sérgio,

I have a spare diesel alternator and I have just checked the numbers on it.
The label is underneath so can't be easily seen when in the car.
It says 105 amp and ref A13V. The rest is illegible. Also says Valeo and BMW.
French alternator/ German engine/ British car...................hmmm

Dave
:(

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
SERSAN said:
And it is a 105A unit.. (to charge an original 107A battery, and run all the stuff on the rig when moving... well done LR :clap: :clap: :evil: )
You are confusing the two.

The alternator is a 105Amp unit (at a specific temperature and rpm). The output probably falls off as the temperature rises.

The battery has a 107 Ah rating, not that it is 107 amp.

A 105 amp alternator is quite capable of charging your battery whilst providing for all the electrical load your car demands. It is extremely unlikely that a P38A would draw anything like 105 amps (except when starting) even if everything was switched on at once.

However, recharging may not be complete if you do a lot of short distance driving at night with all lights on. A larger alternator would help in that situation. Equally so if you often use the proposed winch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Ron, for me 105A it's ok in theory, in the drawing board, but in real world I think that provides only the strictly necessary for you to move when the car is new (12 years ago..)... the problem that I see is that the system when go older the battery starts to lose capacity (of retaining and providing power) and the pumps work harder and for longer periods, switching on many more times than they used to. I don´t believe that my Range Rover, being drived in a cold night, with heating, lights, radio, and the brake pump and EAS compressor always switching on, I don´t believe that the battery charge well or enough to mantain power and a long life.. And I still want to put a winch on it, that is why I'm looking for a better option. ;)

Regards,
Sorry about my english :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts