RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke the bolt that holds the yellow/brown wire to the back of the alternator. Anybody know what kind of bolt it is or where to get another? I put 1/4”-20 bolt and it fit but then putting the wires on it I would have to splice different connectors on and I don’t want to do that cuz if I have to replace the alternator down the road I would have to put the 1/4” bolts onto the new alt or cut connectors and splice the old connectors on. Hassle I don’t want.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
It should be 6mm/ M6 thread. So a 1/4" is just a bit larger. But nothing to worry about, if you drill out the ring connector or fit a 1/4" one, it will still be fine with an M6 stud should you ever replace the alternator. The cable is not an earth connection, but the activation wire that also controls the charge warning light. Not much current passing through it.
You're luck to have found a bolt that fits the alternator!

Filip

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You can't expect anyone to try searching on here these days (or searching and expecting to find anything useful anyway). That link only popped up a couple of weeks ago....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the 1 that has that lil black wire running across the back of the alt and spliced a bigger connector on it and works fine. $1 for that bolt instead of $$$$ for rebuild or new alt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts