RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college freshman and have always loved British made cars and have a deep passion for them. Last year I purchased a rather neglected 92 Rover County that cosmetically is in wonderfully shape. However I have been dealing one specific problem the entire time. The alternator. I have been poking around all sorts of sites for a few months now to try and resolve my seemingly never ending alternator fault (or other underlying fault causing alternator malfunction). When I bought the truck, I drove it home and I found that I drained the battery taking back home. The alternator looked warn so it was the first thing I replaced. At first I used a delco Remy conversion, because I had one laying around, but after other research I decided to take it out and purchase a remanufactured Lucas (OEM) from oreilly. The new alternator is giving a nice 14 volts when running but no charge is getting to the battery. Also I found If I let the engine run for a few minutes, the tachometer with start to act up. The battery warning light on the dash also will not go completely off and remains dim at any engine rpm. When I reinstalled the alternator I followed the rave manual instructions and all the wires are correctly attached. I have checked tension and it is at the recommended tension for the belt. When doing research I found that an alternator fault will cause sporadic transmission shifting and fuel starvation. (These are symptoms I have as well). I don't really know what else could be wrong since the alternator is operating correctly but everything else on the Rover is acting up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The alternators are finicky and sometimes hard to diagnose - my alternator seemed to be outputting the correct amps but I was still having an ignition warning light and tach not working... after trying everything else I bit the bullet and replaced the alternator and the problem was solved. Sometimes remanufactured alternators are bad out of the box - I recommend the British of Utah upgrade alternator which is all new - you can see my thread here:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-range-rover-classic/315866-ignition-warning-light.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Diode Pack. I don't remember all the details, but I have gone through this on both my 90 and 95 rover. the diode pack that comes with chain auto store rebuilds is not stout enough. I even had an auto electric shop rebuild the pack with off his shelf parts and it failed too. In a web search of auto electric component suppliers I found and ordered the "proper" pack. Had it installed by a experienced alternator rebuild shop and have not looked back.

that's what worked or me.

go luck geneo

·
Registered
174 Posts
Though I do not have a wiring diagram handy, I have frequently seen alternator replacements not charge the battery because the original failure caused a fusible link to burn through. What frequently happens is that the alternator shorts out for a few seconds before it dies, and that will damage the link between the alternator output and the battery positive. you might also check the heavy fuses in the engine compartment for one possibly burned or damaged, particularly one labelled alt. ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts