RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be old news, but here's my story:

Finally gave up on the '93 rangie's alternator. Voltage output was fluctuating greatly with all symptoms of bad alt. I decided to stick-it to Sir Lucas and convert to something more plentiful and less expensive. I didn't want to have to mod any of the mounting brackets, or create my own. Long story short, after a lot of research, the CS130 type alternator from a 97 Saturn SW1 fits the range rover with no bracket modifications necessary. The only adjustment that needs to be made is the front alternator housing needs to be rotated 90 degrees in respect to the rear housing. The wiring is straight forward - a pigtail will need to be sourced with all 4 wires (some have 3, some have 2) and spliced into the rangie's loom. I sourced a 4-groove pulley to be compatible with the '93's serp-belt and was done with the conversion in less than 30 min. :thumb:

I'll post some photos and more info tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the alt from - http://mgccars.com/100_amp_alternator_upgrade.htm ... but any local parts place should work.

Front View comparison

Lower mount comparison

Pigtail wiring -
Connect main rangie alternator wire to + lug on rear of housing (where #2 is)
#3 connects to the brown/yellow ignition light wire.
#4 grey goes to white tach signal wire
#4 brown is not used

Installed:

·
Registered
533 Posts
What's your amperage output on the Saturn alternator, any idea?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alternator I purchased is a 100amp unit. They can be had up to 160. The CS130 isn't specific to the Saturn, GM used it on many vehicles. The reason the saturn is specified is due to the mounting points on the casing lining up directly with the rover.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not bad. I replaced the GM alternator after 2 burned out on me with a VW 120a, as I had no faith in them with my requirements. 100a should be more than sufficient for most needs though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts