RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the alternator connections for a 98' RR SE? There are 2 wires that were connected to the B+ post on mine, but I am not sure where 1 of the goes. The battery + is obvious, but I cannot find any info on the other cable.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,216 Posts
Post up a couple of pictures, and it might make it a bit easier for us to help trace.

Are both wires thick, one thick, on thin? Can you see any wire colours?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Normally the thick cable on the B+ terminal will go to the starter and then another cable from there goes to the battery. If they are both thick cables it sounds like somebody has added an extra one directly to the battery to cure a potential voltage drop problem.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Dual cables on the main terminal is a common add on. Noted by Gilbert, the second cable usually goes direct to the battery to ensure maximum charging. I;ve also seen second cables run to auxilary fuse boxes and second batteries. Naturally you could always just trace where the second cable goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, the cable going directly to the battery was the add-on, and the other large red cable coming from the wiring harness was the original lead. The problem is the original lead is "hot". When I check the lead with my meter to ground I am seeing 12v. I am assuming this is a grounding issue. My question is do I need to connect this lead? There is also a lead traveling from the battery to the starter.
IMG_3231.jpg

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Of course the original lead is hot. It is connected to the battery via the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for wasting anyone's time with this one, but I figured it out. because the original lead was still connected to the starter motor, and another lead was added from the battery to the starter, this was adding 12v to the back of the alternator. Simple fix is to not connect the original lead to the alternator, but instead use the added lead from the battery to the alternator. Doh!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I bet I can out brain fart you any day!!

Actually the correct way for this add on is to connect BOTH leads... just as they were on the original alternator.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
The additional one is the one from the alternator to the battery. Originally there was a cable from the battery to the starter and then another from the starter to the alternator. As the connection at the starter can get hot with the current it draws, it can start to build up a resistance which can cause a low charging voltage which, as we all know, will cause all sorts of weird things to happen. So someone that added the extra one from battery to alternator. As RRTH says, fit both as it was before. Then you won't be chasing odd intermittent faults at some time in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts