RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator went south and I needed to replace it on my 08 Sport 4.2 supercharged Rover. Not hard to do but ran into an issue when I decided to replace the belt. The fan/hub needs to be removed in order to change the belt, just plain dumb. In my case I could not for the life of me get the fan hub loose, tried several tools all failed. I watched a couple youtube video's for any tips and called a dealer. If yours comes off good for you but mine would not, so here's what I did. Get a small di grinder and round off the hub nut so the fan pulley can be slid forward to remove/loosen the 3 8mm bolts hidden behind it. You now can slide the belt on and reassemble. Not the correct way but saves you $500.00 for a new fan/hub. BTW Land Rover of Chicago quoted me $1501.00 plus additional parts to change the alt and belt, I did it for under $250.00

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Totally agree this is a poor design. The "belt" is actually the serpentine belt and it is is a good idea to replace the pulleys and tensioners involved with the serpentine belt as there was a new pulley version that has guides to keep the belt in place and the tensioner bearings tend to wear and loosen up. I removed the fan blade (36mm nut) and had easy access to move the fan hub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts