RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Everything is working now for you?
Yes, I'm very happy with the new Android screen now. The Apple CarPlay is awesome but the software has a few bugs that need to be worked out...I've read that there's a software update that fixes the bugs but they haven't released it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really useful thread thanks all - I am looking at buying an L405 shortly and this is very helpful.

I thought it might be useful to add for future users: Handling bare circuit boards by hand has very high risk of damaging components on the board via ESD (static electricity), this is almost certainly what happened during your install W84IT. You can lower this risk by using a wrist strap that is attached to ground - pretty much any metal part of the body of the vehicle. You should only need to do this for handling the two circuit boards, handling any other part of the install should be fine.

Make sure the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Curious: When you click one of the hard buttons (say, ‘climate’ or the ‘seat’ buttons) on the dash, do those functions show up on the android setup or does it switch over to the oem screens to manage? If the latter, how quickly does it do it? In other words, is there a noticeable lag or visible video glitch as it switches modes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Curious: When you click one of the hard buttons (say, ‘climate’ or the ‘seat’ buttons) on the dash, do those functions show up on the android setup or does it switch over to the oem screens to manage? If the latter, how quickly does it do it? In other words, is there a noticeable lag or visible video glitch as it switches modes?
Switches over to the OEM and almost instantaneous

Si

·
Registered
580 Posts

All of the OEM functions are managed through the OEM screen display.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello-
Figured I would toss this out there to see if anyone had any suggestions. I have done the Android head unit swap in my 2016 L405 and everything seems to work great with the exception of the following problems.
So one of my biggest problems is on start up I am getting two fault warnings in the instrument cluster: 1) blind spot system not available 2) camera system fault
The fault cycle warnings start and it cycles between these two for quite a while (2 min) on start up and will not allow the AC/heat to turn on until the fault warning go away.
Also my reverse proximity warning is not functional (the screen icon now has a red slash through it) and does not alarm when I get close to a parked object either going forward or in reverse. I will be pulling the unit out this weekend to check all connections but has anyone else experienced these fault warnings? Anyone been able to get them fixed?
Thanks much
B3AE55F5-A441-48EF-86AD-47A28563C688.jpg
B6E2B1C0-73C1-4C2A-99FE-9B4583037166.jpg
542F4962-6BAB-456B-B050-6293F69BDB24.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello. I'm thinking about installing this in a (new to me) 2014 L405 ATB. One of the biggest disappointments I have with the car is the quality of the factory Bluetooth phone quality. It's just as bad as our 2006 L322 SC, and much worse than the quality in our Mercedes and Audi cars. FWIW, the Bluetooth audio (i.e., music) sounds perfect.

For anyone who has installed this, is the quality of the Bluetooth phone and microphone connected to the Android unit markedly better than the stock Land Rover Bluetooth phone quality? Also, is connecting to the head unit Bluetooth as seamless as the Land Rover (i.e., do incoming calls display on the head unit and interrupt any other audio playing and does it automatically connect each time you enter the car)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I haven't really used the Android bluetooth because I actually like the factory bluetooth. However, I did connect to android bluetooth just to see if it worked and it seems to connect as seamless as the factory bluetooth. Unfortunately, I haven't spent any time actually testing it to compare quality to the factory bluetooth.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Paaka, it might be related to your android head unit, but hopefully just a loose connection. FYI. Turn your car on. Go to cameras and see if all of your cameras work. If one of them are out not working then it might be unplugged. I had your same problem with my 16 and the front center camera was unplugged- problem solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After being quite frustrated with my Android unit I talked extensively with Ray and we decided to try going back to my original equipment to see if I still experienced the faults. I did NOT have any faults after re-installing my original OEM head unit and determined there was a problem with my Android head unit. I am returning my Android head unit purchased overseas from China and have already purchased a new head unit from Ray (should arrive in the next week or two). I can tell you that Ray with Android Aftershock has been extremely, extremely, extremely helpful during this process. He has given me multiple suggestions to fix my original Android head unit and way to try to trouble shoot the existing problems. I would highly recommend Ray for help, guidance, and if you are at all interested in updating your head unit to the Android head unit get in touch with him. I should get my head unit in the next week or two and will update everyone with the install and functionality of the new Android head unit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Parker, it was a pleasure speaking with you and trying to help you solve the problem. I am a retired military veteran and this stuff is like therapy for me. I've really enjoyed learning this new Android unit and I hope that I've been helpful to anyone else on this forum that might be interested in purchasing this unit...even if they didn't purchase from me. Unfortunately, there are a few different companies in China that are making and selling these units to turn a quick profit and I'm finding out that some are not the best quality...and most don't provide good customer service. I happen to be connected with the original manufacturer of the Android units and that's where my inventory will come from...we have a business agreement for me to sell all the popular units here in the US so I will be listing them on my website as inventory comes in. Once again, if any other forum member has purchased an Android unit from China or anywhere else and it seems to be faulty, I will be glad to help you try to sort out the problem. The more knowledge I gain on these units, the better it will be for me to help pass information on to my customers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ray: when going between car play and the factory display, I took note on having to re-dock your phone. Have you ran into this issue with the wireless dongle that is displayed above?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ray: when going between car play and the factory display, I took note on having to re-dock your phone. Have you ran into this issue with the wireless dongle that is displayed above?
I'm not sure if I understand your question but the CarPlay dongle that I'm including is configured to work wired or wireless. If you're using the wireless connection, the AutoKit app will always try to connect to the phone even if you exit CarPlay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted this onto the thread for the 10.25" Android head unit alternative but figured I would post this here incase someone is interested, thanks.

I just wanted to give a update to my 2016 L405 Supercharged android screen update. I received a new head unit from Ray about a week ago and have it installed...WOW...its amazing and really enhances my cars infotainment center beyond the original stock infotainment center. I've been able to utilize apple car play now on a huge screen and it definitely gives the car a more up to date feel. My infotainment center retains all its original functionality and Ray has been great helping me dial in the options I can utilize with the new screen. I would highly recommend installing one of these in your car if you are interested in being able to utilize a bigger and brighter screen with a lot more useful functionality than the older original version. I am still playing around with all the different options and various apps I can install and personalize on an android system and will give updates as I go.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts