RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
So the fuse was out on the FCDIM, that would be the issuse I guess.

Are you now rocking your orginal infotainment brain or have you got the second hand one in you bought from Ebay ?

I assume you know what all those modules are but to save anyone searching here is the list

Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
Audio Control Module (ACM)
Front Control Display Interface Module (FCDIM)
Rear Entertainment Control Module (REM)
Satellite Radio Module (SRM)

I would assume they are all complaining as they reply in the FCDIM being working but after they changed the Fuse is it still not working ? Does it power up now, the hard drive should spin and you should be able to pop the CD if it's powering up

Si
I was just reading the tech notes that they gave me yesterday. I stand corrected on the fuse replacment. It looks like they just replaced the fuse for the diagnostic port. The other 5 modules that they listed are not communicating at all...that includes the FCDIM. I also reinstalled my original DVD/SataNav unit. The tech at the dealer said that the one I got from ebay would need to be coded or programmed to work in my vehicle anyway. He also said that it could be just one of those modules that's causing the communication problem for all the rest because they are all linked. However, they would have to remove the dash completely to find them all and test each one. I'm now wondering if there could just be another fuse blown somewhere in the system. Anyway, I'm very determined at this point to get it fixed because I can't stand looking at that old screen anymore after having this new android screen installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 5 modules that are marked with an X are not communicating...

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Also another cheaper option is to go to the rover spot in sun valley they could tell you what part has failed and sell it to you used on the spot and diagnose it for free. Plus they have the test book laptop dealer thing. That might be your cheapest option. Also if you’re coming up call Freddy too and you can come over and use my driveway for Freddy to work on it since I live in Rancho Palos Verdes and Freddy is in Torrance and I’m on the ocean. If Freddy says it won’t hurt my parts we can swap parts, and he can program your CD player too. Send me a pm and I will give you my address and number. I’m around all weekend too and Rover spot is open Saturday 8-1pm.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also another cheaper option is to go to the rover spot in sun valley they could tell you what part has failed and sell it to you used on the spot and diagnose it for free. Plus they have the test book laptop dealer thing. That might be your cheapest option. Also if you’re coming up call Freddy too and you can come over and use my driveway for Freddy to work on it since I live in Rancho Palos Verdes and Freddy is in Torrance and I’m on the ocean. If Freddy says it won’t hurt my parts we can swap parts, and he can program your CD player too. Send me a pm and I will give you my address and number. I’m around all weekend too and Rover spot is open Saturday 8-1pm.
Thanks Mark, I really appreciate that and I'm really tempted to take you up on that offer this weekend. I will send you a PM with my number.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ok,

So this afternoon UK time I did my install

Just a brief write up of that process ( although it’s covered in the 2 YouTube videos already posted )

All trim panels came away easily and all screws were the same type. The only tricky thing I found was the removing the large grey connector into the dvd drive unit, I actually had to remove all the other connectors to pull the unit right out so I could to it better to remove it.

Moving the 2 internal boards from the original head unit to the new android one was easy except for the ribbon cable which needs to bend and I’m not convinced the first time we didn’t damage it with the bend, any how we proceeded

Plugging in the harness supplied raised questions
1) the orange single strand cable that goes to the button pack has a break in it with a male and female connectors but supplied these aren’t attached to each other. Should the be ? I connected them together
2) there is only one pass through from the button packs , after watching the video the Chinese put this in the left pack and reattach the right pack to the original wiring, is this right ?
3)what’s the separate black fibre to blue fibre/Yellow Video for ?
4)what’s the purple cable with a 2 strand black end for ? It’s got a Chinese label on it
5) why does the wiring harness have maybe 6 wires with labels but no ends...are they unrequired ? Do they need terminating somewhere ?

I’ve attached a picture of the wiring harness and the extra wire

My install number 1 seemed to go fine ( apart from my having the screen upside down ), I could hear the radio but when I went to the original car menu I had a scream of coloured lines coming down the screen which I’ve seen before on laptops with broken screens or cables so I assumed my issue was the bent ribbon cable

So we redid the boards in the new head unit trying to get the ribbon cable better then reinstalled the correct way up. Unfortunately this time we had the dreaded no signal and nothing worked in the car, no steering wheel buttons , no eject on the nav so I assumed I was in the same boat as Ray. This didn’t make me happy

So I put it all back to where is was ( tbf install is easy if you take your time ) as I have LR warranty and I’d just take it in and play dumb but when it was all back in everything was back to normal

So, what has gone wrong and why doesn’t it work ?

If I can get answers to the questions above I might be able to figure it out or it could be the ribbon cable in the screen ( although I don’t think so)

I’m going to give it another go tomorrow

Si

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
BigladUK, I've been waiting patiently for you to post your install results and I was hoping for some good news. One thing that I see that we both did was disconnect ALL the plugs on the CD/DVD SatNav unit...I think that might be where the problem started. I remember before I did that, my new android screen was actually working fine. I also tried reinstalling all of my old equipment but the problems still exist. I honestly feel like the android screen is fine because I saw it working just fine before I started messing around with all the plugs on the DVD SatNav unit. The DVD that I had in the DVD/SatNav unit was even playing on the new Android screen before I started unplugging things. There's just something going on with a few of the ECU's in my vehicle that's causing problems now. I'm thinking that maybe the battery should be disconnected if you plan to unplug all the connections to the DVD SatNav unit. My L405 is out of warranty so I decided to put the android screen back in so that the next time I go to have it diagnosed, maybe they will be able to tell me if the new android screen had ANYTHING to do with the problem. I'm very determined to make this new android screen work. Hopefully my experience will help others that are looking to upgrade the infotainment screens in their 2013-2016 L405's.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ok,

Plugging in the harness supplied raised questions
1) the orange single strand cable that goes to the button pack has a break in it with a male and female connectors but supplied these aren’t attached to each other. Should the be ? I connected them together
2) there is only one pass through from the button packs , after watching the video the Chinese put this in the left pack and reattach the right pack to the original wiring, is this right ?
3)what’s the separate black fibre to blue fibre/Yellow Video for ?
4)what’s the purple cable with a 2 strand black end for ? It’s got a Chinese label on it
5) why does the wiring harness have maybe 6 wires with labels but no ends...are they unrequired ? Do they need terminating somewhere ?

Si
1) I connected that cable because I noticed it was connected in the their youtube video...not sure if that was the right thing to do though.

2) Yes, there was only one connection harness for the left button pack...the right side just plugs back into original pack.

3) Andy told me that this cable was not needed for my vehicle.

4) I think that's the cable that I plugged the supplied speaker into.

5) I'm not sure about these wires but I assumed they were not needed because they are all capped off.

I've also suggested to the seller/Andy that they should provide a clear instruction manual for the English reading customers. Although this new android screen is a nice upgrade, it may not be worth the trouble for most people and the seller will loose out on sales if that's the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
On both our first and second installs we removed all the cables from the DVD drive so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks for the answers to the questions, we are going to try again in the morning and hopefully have more luck ( although it working one time - Radio playing - then not working the next time doesn't make a lot of sense )

I like you am determined to get this working so will keep trying

I will report back

Si

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
OK,

So I didn't want to give up so I've just been back out and this time just left everything hanging out ( plus plugged in the right hand switch pack rather than the left )

This time was exactley the same as the first time so my audio worked ( Radio ) but I had the flickering screen although if I clicked where I knew the Home button was it then took me back to the Android home screen so now I'm totally convinced the problem is the video feed from the internal boards to the Android screen.

Had about an hour playing with everything else and was very impressed at the speed, brightness and quality of it all

IMG_1190.jpg IMG_1191.jpg

I have more questions though which you might have encountered

1) I've been unable to get GPS signal even running the GPS antenna outside, have you gotten one ?
2) My carplay won't work, when I first plugged in the autokit USB adapter the android app popped up and said the versions don't match ( or something like that ) so I updated the android app which caused an error saying this isn't authorized by the vendor so I updated that's firmware and the same issue continues, did you have a problem ?
IMG_1193.jpg

So tomorrow I'll be taking the headunit apart again and using the ribbon cable from the original unit which I hope will solve my video issue

I'll report back

Si

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK,

I have more questions though which you might have encountered

1) I've been unable to get GPS signal even running the GPS antenna outside, have you gotten one ?
2) My carplay won't work, when I first plugged in the autokit USB adapter the android app popped up and said the versions don't match ( or something like that ) so I updated the android app which caused an error saying this isn't authorized by the vendor so I updated that's firmware and the same issue continues, did you have a problem ?

Si
1) I've tried the GPS antenna as well and it doesn't seem to be getting a signal. Andy told me that it will only work with the Sygic offline maps that he installed on the unit. However, I've tried the Sygic Navigation and it's not getting signal from the GPS for some reason. I'm not really bothered by that because I mainly use Google Maps from my iPhone.

2) My CarPlay works great...I'm amazed at the speed of it and the how it looks on the screen. My 5 year old son loves to watch the satellite view of the Google Maps as we're driving along. The CarPlay works so well that I feel like I didn't even need to install the GPS antenna or the included speaker for the GPS. I also installed the included WiFi antenna for hotspot connection to my iPhone...I think that might actually be of some benefit to me at some point. I did test the Google Maps installed on the android unit using hotspot connection to my iPhone and I could hear the navigation voice through the speaker from the android unit.

Note: I have the unlimited data plan on my iPhone

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
For anyone else who decides to try this android unit, it might be wise to disconnect the battery before the install. The L405 seems to have a lot of ECU's that are linked together in some type of way and they don't like it when things start being plugged/unplugged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Update

Having been in contact with Andy, my CarPlay now works ( just needed the correct app ), GPS now works for the Waze app native to headunit ( not sure why I could get a GPS lock last night ) and I’m going to try to change the dip switches on the board to hopefully get the screen working

I also had to change my car model in the Android menus to a RRS ( not sure why ) and now I get beeps when I press where the buttons would which I wasn’t getting before

Will report back

Si

·
Registered
158 Posts
Success

My problem was video refresh I think which I cured with the onboard dip switches ( for dual view capacitive I need to 1 & 3 up, 2 & 4 down ) now it’s all working
That's great! Congratulations on getting it working. It looks really good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks,

It’s been a pain but thanks to Andy and Ray I’ve ironed out most of the issues

Problems still to resolve
Swop the surround to finish install
When I select reverse I got no signal but switch from reverse shows the camera so I think this is a setting
Where I’ve placed the GPS receiver it’s not getting a signal so I need to reposition this
Add a SIM card & 4g antenna for data without Wi-Fi ( the wifi antenna isn’t great )

Things to note
The external speaker isn’t required when you change this option in the pictures
Dual View DOES NOT work

All in all pretty good, great screen

Great upgrade

This is a slightly longer video ( I’m no
Photographer btw )

https://youtu.be/07yXGBkGrf4

Si

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Success

My problem was video refresh I think which I cured with the onboard dip switches ( for dual view capacitive I need to 1 & 3 up, 2 & 4 down ) now it’s all working
That's awesome!!! I hope to get mine working soon because I'm at the point of no return to that old infotainment screen. By the way, make sure that you're very careful swapping the black trim that goes around the screen. I was in a rush and I managed to burn a small section with my soldering iron as I was melting the plastic tabs to remove the old trim.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Success

That's awesome!!! I hope to get mine working soon because I'm at the point of no return to that old infotainment screen. By the way, make sure that you're very careful swapping the black trim that goes around the screen. I was in a rush and I managed to burn a small section with my soldering iron as I was melting the plastic tabs to remove the old trim.
Thanks for the tip, I’m going to wait a little while I think as that’s the point of no return

Just been out for a drive and all good so far

👍🏻

81 - 100 of 136 Posts