RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wait,

I really appreciate this thread and hope you resolve the issue soon. This will sound crazy, but you did disconnect the battery before beginning the project, right? Just trying to think of why the OEM unit doesn't work.

Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I don't think he did, also the video thats been posted ( maybe by me from YouTube ) seems to look like they don't do the install with the battery disconnected either although I was thinking the same as you , should it be disconnected while doing the install..maybe this has caused the issue ?

Si

·
Registered
559 Posts
Something thats been puzzling me since we began this adventure is the whole capacitive vs resistive situation, I know mine is capacitive ( Dual View as it's an AB ) so are you sure yours is Resistive ?

Not sure if the wrong screen type might break the Infotainment brain.

My understanding of the difference is that capacitive works with a finger and resistive works with a finger nail, would your original screen work with a finger nail ?

BTW mine didn't have a sticker on the outside of the box with details of which version it is like yours did. I'm hoping to get mine attempted to be installed at the weekend.

Si
Yes, I made sure that my original screen was resistive touch and single view...it can be touched with a fingernail or pen. I also emailed the seller pics of the original screen before the order was processed. The strange thing is that my new android screen was showing the original menu screen when I first plugged it all in and everything seemed to work fine. I then unplugged a few of the connectors on the harness to sort the wiring for a cleaner install and after I plugged it all back in, the menu screen was showing no signal and there was no sound.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Wait,

I really appreciate this thread and hope you resolve the issue soon. This will sound crazy, but you did disconnect the battery before beginning the project, right? Just trying to think of why the OEM unit doesn't work.

Steve
No, I didn't disconnect the battery. The installation video didn't show them disconnecting the battery either. I really wish the seller would make an owners/installation manual for those if us here in the US that purchase this unit...that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here's a pic of my finished install...I just have to pull it apart again to install the new SatNav DVD unit when it arrives on Wednesday...

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It does look awesome, can’t wait to get mine installed.

Have you figured out what the external speaker is for ?
Have you managed to install any apps like Waze or Apple Music ?
Where have you put the microphone ?
Where have you put the GPS receiver ?

Hope your replacement brain all goes ok 🤞

Si

·
Registered
559 Posts
It does look awesome, can’t wait to get mine installed.

Have you figured out what the external speaker is for ?
Have you managed to install any apps like Waze or Apple Music ?
Where have you put the microphone ?
Where have you put the GPS receiver ?

Hope your replacement brain all goes ok 🤞

Si
Here's the video that I followed for the install...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiBQK7lvTmA&feature=youtu.be

I haven't figured out what the external speaker is for but I have it connected and I placed it in the same place they did in the video.
I haven't installed any apps yet and I'm not sure if I will need to because the Apple CarPlay does all that I need it to do...I can use Waze or Apple music with CarPlay. I also installed the microphone right next to the steering wheel like they did in the video and it's almost completely hidden.
As far as the GPS antenna, I plugged it in and just placed it behind the screen because I probably won't be needing it. Andy told me that the GPS antenna is for the Sygic offline map that he already installed on the android. I don't think I will ever be using the Sygic map either but it's there if I ever decide to play around with it. There's also a wifi antenna included that I installed just under the drivers side dash and it's almost completely hidden...Andy told me that the wifi antenna is to help the wifi signal for hotspot to your phone. But once again, I probably won't use hotspot either because the Apple Carplay seems to do all that I need it to do. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to you getting yours installed and share your opinion on the unit.

·
Registered
559 Posts
update...well guys, the new DVD/SatNav unit arrived in the mail today and I got it installed. However, I'm still not getting a signal for the original menu screen, no sound output, no blind spot monitoring, no reverse traffic detection and no signal on reverse camera. I guess the DVD/SatNav unit wasn't the problem after all...but what are the chances the new unit is bad as well. I don't know what else to do at this point besides take it to the dealer for diagnostic but I am going to hate to have to pay for that, especially if it's something simple that I'm overlooking.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just called the service manager at Land Rover Rancho Mirage and explained the issue to him. He told me that it sounds like it could be a software communication issue but they would have to run diagnostic on the vehicle to confirm that. I'm scheduled to drop it off on Friday for the diagnostic.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's the new Chinese head unit. I'm bummed that you have to go to dealer to confirm. A quick test is plug back everything in the old system and see if it works? If so then it's the new head unit

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's the new Chinese head unit. I'm bummed that you have to go to dealer to confirm. A quick test is plug back everything in the old system and see if it works? If so then it's the new head unit
mark1107, I already tried reinstalling the old system but the problem still exist. The original screen doesn't even turn on at all with the old system installed now. Everything was working fine before I installed the android screen...actually, the android screen was working fine when I first plugged it in. However, I unplugged it to sort the wiring for a clean install but after I got it all sorted and tried turning it back on, that's when I got the no signal on the menu screen. I've been in contact with the seller and he has been very helpful. He wants me to send the unit back and he will refund the payment. I asked him to send another unit for me to try but he said that he would have to inspect the unit that I'm returning before sending another unit. He also said that he had other US customers that installed the unit with no problem. This android screen is really nice and I don't like the idea of returning it. I hope to sort out the problem and give it another try. Overall, I think it's worth the trouble. I have the old system back in now and looking at it just reminds me why I wanted the new screen to begin with.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted. Hopefully it’s just a software glitch or a fuse

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I'm not an expert in this subject but I have a couple of thoughts

Idea 1
When you unplugged everything to tidy up the wires and then plugged it all back in, maybe you dislodged or damagaed a cable from the existing wiring harness ? Prevelent wiring would be power and fibre, I guess you could check the fibre's are working by seeing if they omit light ? And I guess you could check power with a muiltimeter ?
Idea 2
On the CAN BUS maybe you've locked out or caused an error to the Infotainment brain which needs maybe software reseting ( which the dealer could deffo sort for you ) or perhaps disconnecting the battery will perform a reset ?

As the replacement device didn't resolve the problem and putting everything back in as was I would guess the problem is something specific to the car or the boards from the screen ( but as you can't even eject the CD and I assume can't hear the hard drive spin up when you give it power it's more likely in the infotainment brain I'd have thought )

Si

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not an expert in this subject but I have a couple of thoughts

Idea 1
When you unplugged everything to tidy up the wires and then plugged it all back in, maybe you dislodged or damagaed a cable from the existing wiring harness ? Prevelent wiring would be power and fibre, I guess you could check the fibre's are working by seeing if they omit light ? And I guess you could check power with a muiltimeter ?
Idea 2
On the CAN BUS maybe you've locked out or caused an error to the Infotainment brain which needs maybe software reseting ( which the dealer could deffo sort for you ) or perhaps disconnecting the battery will perform a reset ?

As the replacement device didn't resolve the problem and putting everything back in as was I would guess the problem is something specific to the car or the boards from the screen ( but as you can't even eject the CD and I assume can't hear the hard drive spin up when you give it power it's more likely in the infotainment brain I'd have thought )

Si
I do remember unplugging all the cables on the DVD/SatNav unit so that I could move it out of the way while I sorted all the other wiring cables. That's why I'm also thinking that I could have dislodged or damaged one of the existing cables...or maybe unplugging that unit made the software glitch. I've checked all the cables maybe 4-5 times but I can't see where there could be any damage to the plugs. I've also checked the fuses and the main plug for power and it's getting power. Whatever the problem is, there's all lot that's linked to it...

Main Menu screen doesn't turn on or even show logo at startup
Rear Seat Entertainment screens don't show logo at startup
No Menu selection from steering wheel switches
No Bluetooth connection
No Sound/Volume
No Signal from Reverse Camera when vehicle is in reverse
Reverse Traffic Detection Not Available
Blind Spot System Not Available

Could this really be a software problem or maybe a module that's gone bad? I just hate to have to take it to the dealer but I don't know what else to do at this point. Also, I don't like the idea of the service guys removing parts or trim pieces from my vehicle to try to find the issue if they can't diagnose it with the diagnostic system.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Have you tried to disconnect the battery and do a hard reset? Are you able to read codes?
Yes, I've already tried disconnecting the battery. I don't have a code reader but I was able to get it to the dealer today and they did a 1 hour diagnostic at no charge. They said that they would need the vehicle for 4-5 more hours to check all the modules/computers that are not responding...$190 per hour for diagnostic. They did however replace 1 fuse to the CAN_MS-FCDIM. However, the SUB_MOST has 4 modules/computers that are not communicating...AAM, ACM, REM and SRM...The service manager said that it could be one or more of them that's causing the issue. I'm not sure what else to do at this point besides schedule another appointment with the dealer to have to figure it out...or maybe someone on the forum can point me in the right direction to fix the problem on my own...

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Brother,

call Freddy. 310-912-4591 Umbertob the famous moderator on here uses him, so do I. You will have to call and drive to LA but I can guarantee you that you won’t be paying 800-1000 like at the dealer. If saving 6-800 bucks is worth a 1.5 hour drive toLA I would do it. Freddy has done so much for my rig even teaching me how to do oil changes. Freddy has time on the weekends, and sometimes in the evenings. Freddy has the dealer diagnostic module iPad lap top thingy too.

Also so once you identify the problem The Rover spot close to Burbank will have the parts super cheap 8185042822

so dealer 1,000 or Freddy 1-300 bucks plus cheap parts. But you gotta drive.

Note of warning: Freddy has an accent but speaks English but he can’t help you over the phone so if you try to go into detail over the phone expect to be frustrated, plus it isn’t fair to any indy tech to try to get free service out of them on the phone. Explain the below paragraph you need him to diagnose in person and help you fix the short or blown part.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Yes, I've already tried disconnecting the battery. I don't have a code reader but I was able to get it to the dealer today and they did a 1 hour diagnostic at no charge. They said that they would need the vehicle for 4-5 more hours to check all the modules/computers that are not responding...$190 per hour for diagnostic. They did however replace 1 fuse to the CAN_MS-FCDIM. However, the SUB_MOST has 4 modules/computers that are not communicating...AAM, ACM, REM and SRM...The service manager said that it could be one or more of them that's causing the issue. I'm not sure what else to do at this point besides schedule another appointment with the dealer to have to figure it out...or maybe someone on the forum can point me in the right direction to fix the problem on my own...

·
Registered
423 Posts
One more thing, when my battery loses a charge I get lots of communication lost errors. Even a fully charged but old battery wreaks havoc on our electronics. A new battery can help too. FYI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
So the fuse was out on the FCDIM, that would be the issuse I guess.

Are you now rocking your orginal infotainment brain or have you got the second hand one in you bought from Ebay ?

I assume you know what all those modules are but to save anyone searching here is the list

Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
Audio Control Module (ACM)
Front Control Display Interface Module (FCDIM)
Rear Entertainment Control Module (REM)
Satellite Radio Module (SRM)

I would assume they are all complaining as they reply in the FCDIM being working but after they changed the Fuse is it still not working ? Does it power up now, the hard drive should spin and you should be able to pop the CD if it's powering up

Si

·
Registered
559 Posts
One more thing, when my battery loses a charge I get lots of communication lost errors. Even a fully charged but old battery wreaks havoc on our electronics. A new battery can help too. FYI.
Thanks for the advice...and I will be calling Freddy soon or maybe taking a drive out there. As far as the battery goes, I just put a brand new Interstate battery in a little over a month ago. The dealer also checked the battery yesterday and said that it was good. That's one of the first thing they check when they're dealing with something of this nature.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts