Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alpine ILX - 007 Project
New sound system !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
I'm actually thinking about getting this unit. What was the epoxy for? Does the Apple carplay work well?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,174 Posts
I'm interested too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed an iLX_007 into my 2001 P38. It took a bit of time, first to fit the radio to the dash and then to wire up the radio. First, I had a non-functional nav unit as well as a non functional after market Becker radio. WHen taking the dash apart, I found that the Becker wasn't even wired into the car, meaning that the prior owner chose to sell the car with a non functioning radio versus no radio at all. Mounting the iLX into the location previously occupied by the nav unit required that i cut portions of the plastic out that was used to mount the nav unit. I removed both the bottom as well as the outside portion, leaving the parts next to the clock and next to the upper buttons alone. I then had to, using a dremel, square out the lower corner of the opening so that the display would fit.

Once I could fit the display into the opening nicely, I took the outer trim plate that came with the iLX and cut it down, again using a dremel, so that it filled the space between the clock and below the buttons. The space between the clock is exactly 4mm, so the trim plate, which is also 4mm wide, fits there nicely. THe portion on top is only 2mm, so that is where I had to trim. I then used JB weld to epoxy the trim into place.

Next, I had to fabricate a mount for the iLX. Using some metal straps, I attached the straps to the sides of the iLX, then I bent them over the top and placed the unit into the dash opening with the straps outside what was left of the original dash plastic mount for the nav unit. I then put a small screw through the strap and tightened it around the plastic. This hold the iLX surprisingly well once the whole this is placed back into the dash.

Finally comes the wiring. I wish I could help here, but strange things had been done to my vehicle, so the wiring of the speakers became quite an experiment, however I got them to work. The microphone I simply placed at the top of the A pillar, running the wire up behind the trim. The backup wire and parking brake wires I connected into the BeCM under the passenger seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts