Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if every Land Rover dealership across the country offers this but in Honolulu, they are offering a wheel and tire protection package at signing. It's $980 which is not bad if you consider how much you have to pay per month. But I was wondering for people who have driven a RRS for a while, if this is necessary.

Mahalo~

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I was offered this on both my wife's BMW and my RRS... The total for both would have been close to $3000.

BMW Lady " I highly recommend you take out this Wheel/Tire insurance package, you have high performance Runflats, they are $500 EACH"

Me " $500 ??!!! they never told me that when they were selling me the Car !! Maybe I should cancel this sale and continue shopping"!!

BMW Lady " Well, the chances of you having a flat or damaging a wheel are fairly remote, you really don't need to purchase this, it's just something we offer"

I wasn't going to buy this protection package anyway and the Lady is only trying to make a living.....

So obviously, I don't think this makes any sense, but some unlucky RRS Owners might not think the same way.

Warranties and insurance are always a Gamble, they normally win otherwise they would be out of business.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
On run flat tires it makes sense: outrageously expensive, but so was the insurance;was only $350 on my 04 Z4. Can't see it for RRS (unless you live in this waste land known as Virginia -- aka, pothole country).y

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It depends on what you plan on doing. If your going to off road in rocky situations there is a high probability you will gouge rims. If you run the risk of hitting curbs a lot or run bad roads where you may get a bent rim. It's a tough pill to swallow as you may use it and it pay for itself over and over again or you may end up five years later with never having a claim.

I personally declined it figuring once I mark up factory rims I will buy a "tasteful" set of custom wheels and just repair factories for winter and off road. It's a way easier sell to the wife that a full set of custom wheels is a better option than replacing that one bad wheel...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
81 Posts
I ended up getting a windsheild warrenty for 2000$, which covers rock chips and gives you replacment windows over a 3 year period. And this is regular 2500, so they threw the tire warranty on for 500$.

I accepted because I work on site, and have heard its pretty common that the rims get scuffed.
Its a good deal because they cover tires from unexpected items on the road, if they cant patch it they will replace it.
Another good thing is that they cover any rims or tires put on the vehicle as long as they are 20" and under.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
On run flat tires it makes sense: outrageously expensive, but so was the insurance;was only $350 on my 04 Z4. Can't see it for RRS (unless you live in this waste land known as Virginia -- aka, pothole country).y
I hear you Mate, also a lot of Peeps complain about the harsh ride on runflats etc, but I'm really pleased that she has them on her Bimmer, she works at a Hospital and is always on call, so I would rather pay for expensive Tires than have her stranded on the Freeway at 3am with a flat tire.

Before I bought both Cars I realized it would cost around $4K if I changed all the Tires at the same time, so I knew up front. Neither of us put many miles on our Cars, I don't have any Car payments, so really, it's cheap motoring...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Holy Cow, you almost must hope for a rock or two to hit you after coughing up that much dough for a "warranty"... ;-) How much is a new OEM heated windshield with all the trimmings, $2K or so?
My insurance company obviously don't know how much a new windshield is, they only charge me $9 every six months for 100% replacement/repair costs.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Mine (USAA) too. Seems the bill for ACV comp beats the crap out of a $2000 warranty. Eh?

Maybe Canadian law is different.l

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply! Well, my sales guy told me that if I were to do individual fixes, it would run $175-$200 each fix. So that would be roughly 4-5 for five years which I thought was a bit a lot. I thought, well, knowing that I ended up not getting it, that I would drive more carefully, i.e. avoid potholes. Also, since I have the visual assist on it, if I still scrape anything, that would be my fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have quite a number of potholes in Hawaii due to the rain (surprising I know) but knowing that I didn't get the package, I'm working harder to avoid the potholes :).

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
197 Posts
I got the tire and rim warranty on my 2010. I've had it on 2 other Rovers and it always paid for itself. We get a lot of nasty pot holes here in spring that are usually "hidden" under water and slush. So you hit them hard and they are rim killers. So with the 20" low profile tires the $600 was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
81 Posts
Holy Cow, you almost must hope for a rock or two to hit you after coughing up that much dough for a "warranty"... ;-) How much is a new OEM heated windshield with all the trimmings, $2K or so?
Its a 1700$ windsheild. And it comes with unlimited rock chip repairs, and 5 free windsheilds no questions asked.
I always work up north so it requires me to do lots of highway driving, and gravel road driving. So its bound to happen.

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
103 Posts
I paid $600 for the rim/tire care and it has been worth it. I blew a tire out on highway going home replaced free, the tire was $500 retail Michelin Latitude Diaramis, labor was also taken care of and also I have had my rims in 6 times to repair scratches/scuffs etc..so well worth in. In Mass winshield coverage is automatically covered in our insurance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.