RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 04 Range Rover and lately while I’m driving the Air Suspension and HDC inactive messages appear on my dashboard along with the yellow brake and ABS light with it. Once I turn off the vehicle and let it sit for a while it will reset itself. What could it be? The front struts have been replaced and the air compressor and relay. In addition it won’t start now. It just keeps cranking. The fuel pump has been replaced recently as well as the battery. And it doesn’t want to shift out of their gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced it last week. When all this started happening. And I got the alternator tested as well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? Check connections and condition of your cables. Have you walked through the Electrical Troubleshooting sticky?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything looks fine. No corrosion on either cable. They’re both bolted on correctly. What next? And thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,919 Posts
check all of the power wire connections IIRC you have about 3 of them from the battery to the alternator
check the ground connections try to twist the battery terminals if they move then you need to make them tighter since the bolts will probably already be tight get some copper wire strands lift the terminal off the battery post add about 10 strands of wire tween the post and terminal then tighten it

·
Registered
277 Posts
The HDC /abs messages are normally caused by a failed wheel speed sensor or a bad height sensor , you have four of each , you will need to have the vehicle scanned to see which one is your culprit.
Cranking but not starting may be bad MAF , or bad crank position sensor , over cranking can flood the intake manifold so stop after ten seconds or so... you obviousy have battery power to crank , how are your injectors?spark plugs? look at the spark plugs first , they are easy , then while in there look at the coils you are removing... if all checks out make sure your air intake is not blocked by a dirty filter.. that will suffocate the engine , it wont start.. if your MAF unit is bad it wont fire up either.... step by step and you will have it working...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
I’ve had all of those symptoms for a dying battery but also for a dying alternator on my 07. When the alternator was on its way out, I would sometime see voltage spikes to 16+ volts which would fault out many of the ECUs. They all appeared to have recovered once the alternator was replaced. The 04 has a different powertrain and alternator but I would check the alternator health yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HDC /abs messages are normally caused by a failed wheel speed sensor or a bad height sensor , you have four of each , you will need to have the vehicle scanned to see which one is your culprit.
Cranking but not starting may be bad MAF , or bad crank position sensor , over cranking can flood the intake manifold so stop after ten seconds or so... you obviousy have battery power to crank , how are your injectors?spark plugs? look at the spark plugs first , they are easy , then while in there look at the coils you are removing... if all checks out make sure your air intake is not blocked by a dirty filter.. that will suffocate the engine , it wont start.. if your MAF unit is bad it wont fire up either.... step by step and you will have it working...
Ok great. I’ll have the shop check the height sensors and wheel speed sensors. The spark plugs and coils have been replace recently as well. The MAF sensor is also new. I could have the shop check the crank position sensor. The odd thing is, the vehicle will start when the weather is warm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In regards to your Air Suspension and HDC inactive messages, have you done the obligatory turn the steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right with engine running? You need to do this every time the battery have been disconnected, to realign the steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
162 Posts
Ok - I had this check the codes first for wheel sensors etc.. if nothing like that appears it’s probably your steering angle sensor - mine went and if you have small to medium hands isn’t the worst diy

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you have a lot of electronics failing all at once, it’s probably the alternator as well - it might be going out. When there is something wrong with the battery or alternator and the car is not getting enough power, all the indicator lights come on like a Christmas tree. The car starts, so your battery is good. When it switches to the alternator, it seems like it dies. When my alternator went out, it started doing so just at a certain Engine RPM and eventually croaked.

-John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts