RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked where the actual speakers plug in [after the amp] and there's no DC voltage.

i can hear sound when connecting some old headphones into the head unit output harness, so it is sending sound outbound...

used to have all the speakers working with a Kenwood head unit that was stolen... current one is slightly different Kenwood w/ISO harness run through Incartec deamplification harness [to retain usage of the stock speakers/amps].

pretty positive signal is getting sent, i checked that the RCA outputs on the back of the head were sending sound too... but not one of the 11 speakers makes a sound now...

stumped and not an electronics guru quite yet... any ideas will be helpful... I don't think BECM can cause this... perhaps just all the wiring has gone bad, i'm starting to try to look at the looms that feed the doors/outstations but are hard to get fully revealed.

this is a 95 GEMS, can't find much info on these older stereo systems.. lots on the satnav era tho!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,198 Posts
Does the Grey/Black wire get 12V from the 'antenna' wire on the new head unit?

The amps have permanent 12V power from the fuses that Pwood999 mentions. But even if they have that power, then without 12V on the grey/black wire when the head unit powers up then they won't 'wake up' and actually do anything.

If all of the speakers have suddenly gone dead, then that would be the first place I would look, as it's one of the only wires common to all the doors/amps/speakers.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Has it ever worked with the new Kenwood head unit? I've got a Kenwood withRCA connectors on the back and in the menu I can select whether the sound comes out of them, the speaker outputs or both. If it's set to send sound out of the RCA connectors then there may be nothing coming from the speaker outputs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the leads pwood999, some good places to check today.. the fuses appear fine, i changed F15 anyway. will need to figure out how to check the connectors.
marty_nz, i can't seem to get that 12V from the grey/black wires at all, this may be the culprit. i am unsure if i am testing it properly. if this is the problem, is there much i can do beside get a new head unit?
Richard_G, i don't see an option for outputs in the menu for mine, no, it hasn't ever worked, just got it and it may be broken.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marty_nz, i connected multimeter positive to cigarette lighter positive and negative to the grey wire (w/black stripe) inside the multiplug at the door amp and got 9.5V with the engine off.. need to get at the BECM connectors and wire looms as best i can.. any other ideas?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,198 Posts
Measure the Grey/Black wire with -ve multimeter probe to a ground point, and the positive probe to grey/black.
You should read 0v when the radio is off, and 12V when the radio is powered up.

Power for the grey/black wire comes from the head unit in the power ISO connector which plugs into the head unit. Some head units don't have this wired into the connector, but rather have a 'flying lead' which is commonly labelled 'antenna' (and a lot of head units have this as a Blue wire with a White stripe). If you head unit has this, then it has to be connected to the grey/black wire to then send the amps 12V to 'wake up' when the head unit is turned on.

The grey/black 'wake up' wire goes from the radio head unit out to all of the doors/amplifiers and antenna amplifiers etc. and doesn't connect to the BECM at all. The BECM only powers the amps with permanent 12V from the various fuses already mentioned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i pulled the head unit, hooked it to battery on desk, was able to get 12V from the blue/white wire out of the splitter harness i had.. all good there. then i checked resistence of 8ohms at the speaker plugs, looks good.

now the problem ended up being: the incartec harness has blue wiring that leads to that blue/white wire on the head unit but goes nowhere on the Rover side of the harness (the only empty pin there). so i did have to plug the free hanging blue/white wire off the incartec harness and double it up inside the ISO plug with the other blue wire to get the proper 12V connection (it then ends up at the grey/black one on the Rover side).

thanks so much marty, your information taught me a lot and gave me everything i needed to troubleshoot this (i was totally unaware of the required ANTENNA/TURN ON aspect and the BECM involvement details are good to know). speakers came right on after i plugged the blue-white wire in as described... weird thing is that i had the exact same harnesses and never had to plug that in with my previous Kenwood deck. that was the other thing that threw me off. another few lessons learned here. thanks everyone!

i'm enjoying the oldschool luxury HK sound with USB/AUX-IN abilities... now i just need to repair the kick plate plug as the rear driver panel is buzzing wildly.. i already knew it was going bad.

here is the fancy harness in question btw: https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=3600

and now i'll swing back to this problem that marty was also helping out with:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/12767-window-wont-set.html

cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts