RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Season Tires (again?) Need some advice for 8x16" rims

I am having a small issue with my next tire choice for 8x16" rims. for my 4.0 Gems

For legal reasons I need a tyre that has the "snow Flake" so ideally it should be either a winter tire or a 4season tire

Theoretically I should look for 255/65R16 but I am strugling to find a suitable one that is the right price and has good characteristics.

Until now I have been using Cooper Xeons on my hurricanes but now I am going back to the 16" rims and because I need to have the "snow Flake" tire the choice is somehow limited.

Looking at the Cooper Range , I came across to the DISCOVERER AT3 4S (with snow Flake marking) but the only sizes close to the standard fitment are 245/70R16 or the 235/75R16 which I think is more more suitable for the 7" rim.

the other thing is the loading, in theory I should look for a 109H , the AT3s are 111T, with the XL option.

so can I go for the 245/70-R16? better the 235/75?

Ah yes, I am based in the UK , just in case the location is needed.

If you have other options , please ... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: All Season Tires (again?) Need some advice for 8x16" ri

You can check and for Nokian Rotiva AT (not Plus version). Really nice street oriented AT Tyre.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts

I've got the 7x16 inch wheels on mine which run 235/70x16 but 255/65x16 is the correct size for the 8 inch rim and going down to a 235 width is probably a bit narrow for your rims. I replaced a set of Goodyears with Vredestein Quatrac 5 and they are superb. They have the snowflake symbol and an asymmetrical tread pattern with the snow type fine grooves on the inside. Wet grip is noticeably better than the Goodyears, grip on snow seemed as good as a full winter tyre and they are very quiet too. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be available in 255/65 but are in 245/70. Reasonable price too (https://www.roundtriptyres.co.uk/vredestein-quatrac-5-suv-245-70-r16-107h-3pmsf.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwuO3cBRAyEiwAzOxKst0eFbpX0Vm1sHVrg78Wu527SqfR55TYj4cYQMelU_uPU1Swj3VgrRoCq4IQAvD_BwE). The 245/70 is marginally taller than the standard size with 684 revs per mile compared with 695 so your speedo will read very slightly lower (71mph at an indicated 70) but as a P38 speedo almost always reads high anyway, it'll probably be more accurate than it was.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I was very satisfied with the old standard Pirelli Scorpion in 235/75 on 7J16 rims on both the classic and the P38.
As they are now scorpion verde without the Snow Flanke (my summer tires at the Moment) I will get Michelin Alpine for the Winter. Very good test results and a criteria for me, quiet ;-)
Nokian Hakkapelliita (spell?) have a good Reputation by Word of mouth, but I doń t have any first hand experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I must say that I was impressed with the Cooper Tyres I fitted on my 18" rims many gazillion miles ago; I keep saying "this year I will replace them" and they never wear.

One thing I really liked of the Cooper is that they wear evenly, no "flatspots" , always well palanced, no ovalization, good grip and very low noise so I am tempted to stick to the brand, but I can see the Nokian or the Vredestein as potential contenders (the price seems good)

before I had GoodYear Wrangler on and i found they were noisy, I though I had a hub bearing at the endo of its life, but then I realized it was the bloody tires.

Now I just need to decide... 4 tires plus a used for the spare, 5 new tires, 4 new goodones and a new cheap korean/chinese for the spare....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Now I just need to decide... 4 tires plus a used for the spare, 5 new tires, 4 new goodones and a new cheap korean/chinese for the spare....[/QUOTE]

I have put about 65k (mostly unsealed Outback "roads") miles on 2 sets of Coopers over the last 25 years with the Classic in Australia. I have had only one issue, which was a stake through the sidewall on a deep sand road. Other than that, they were awesome performers. I have seen literally hundreds of "Cheap Asian" tires shredded on the side of the tracks, and just would not be comfortable running any on my rigs. I have a new set of Coopers on the Borrego here, and will gladly pay the price for quality.
Having said this, I would get 4 good quality new ones and a good quality used one for the spare, unless you only drive on sealed roads and have the AA handy at all hours, the spare will get you home if needed. Get a decent one you can trust.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts

Now I just need to decide... 4 tires plus a used for the spare, 5 new tires, 4 new goodones and a new cheap korean/chinese for the spare....
I've got the Vredesteins on the car and a part worn Maxxis on the steel spare. I regard it as just that, a get me home spare, rather than something I'm going to be driving around on. They were Wranglers I had on before and not only are they noisy but the grip compared with the Vredesteins was pretty pathetic in the wet and non-existent on snow, weren't much good off road either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Never liked the Wranglers, having said that, when I replaced them i managed to sell a couple on ebay (5mm for a 10nner!!) so my guess is that someone apreciates them....

As for the spare , since 2006 (year I bought my 1996 RR), the only time I pulled out the spare was to check the pressure before a trip.

I will check what I find, I might get lucky:roll:

Now before putting on new rubber I was thinking of replacing the track rods, they are fine but with the new tires I want to do some wheel alignement and they havent been touched since ... I actually dont remember, so my guess is that if they try to loosen them they will need to replace them so better do it before hand.

is there anything else I should change? I was thinking of fitting one of those Polibush kits.... any suggestions? I really dont have any experience here I am trying to think ahead, I plan to keep it foreverer...:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts

I've had my car 8 years now and have only used the spare once after a puncture while driving up to Scotland. I'd leave the track rods alone in all honesty and wait until they need it. To adjust the tracking there are adjusters on the rods so the actual ends don't need to be touched. The replacements, even the Lemforder OEM ones, don't last as long as the originals. Polybushes are easier to install than originals as you don't need a press and the right tool for installing them, but don't ride as well and don't last either. They are also more expensive that original unless you get the real cheapy ones and they'll only last a matter of months.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I ended fitting a set of Kleber Citylander 255-65 R16 on original Stratos Alloys; It looks VERY VERY 90's , but I really don't care, it drives so beautifully that I will not miss the Hurricanes, in fact I have already forgotten them.

The Citilanders seem very quiet and behave very well on both wet and dry, I have been driving trough Europe for the past 2 days and after 750 miles, most of which under horrible showers, I can confirm the Klebers are good.

I am waiting for some Snow just to check their Snowflake season status (already tested dry , humid and VERY VERY wet) and I will re-update the post, just in case someone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts

As i mentioned in your other thread, the Klebers have the same C C 72 rating as my Vredesteins so should perform much the same. I drove down through Europe and back last weekend just as Storm Diana was making her presence felt and agree on the torrential rain. Not a hint of aquaplaning once despite hitting some pretty deep rivers running across the Autoroute. I've got to do the same run (to Toulouse and back) at the end of January so am likely to get the chance to play in the snow when I cross the Massif Centrale then.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I ended fitting a set of Kleber Citylander 255-65 R16 on original Stratos Alloys; It looks VERY VERY 90's , but I really don't care, it drives so beautifully that I will not miss the Hurricanes, in fact I have already forgotten them.

The Citilanders seem very quiet and behave very well on both wet and dry, I have been driving trough Europe for the past 2 days and after 750 miles, most of which under horrible showers, I can confirm the Klebers are good.

I am waiting for some Snow just to check their Snowflake season status (already tested dry , humid and VERY VERY wet) and I will re-update the post, just in case someone is interested.
Hi Angelix,

I had 2 fitted to my front axle, I really didn't like them. I've done 7,000 miles in them including 2 trips to SW France.
I always felt like they wandered too much and I tried all pressures from book 28 psi to 35 psi, nothing was nice for me. That was even after swapping out all shocks, all 4 airbags and the steering damper. The hole through the sidewall made my mind up and I bought Gripmax AT's to replace them. I must say they are definately heavier (more your military feel) but the squidgy feeling has gone. I'll get a pair put on the rear as soon as I've saved up again.

Tyres are subjective hahahaha

cheers,

Hoppy

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts

There isn't in the UK but for many countries in Europe (parts of France, Germany, Switzerland, Poland), basically anywhere that has snow on a regular basis, they are a legal requirement in winter. No snowflake symbol equals anything from a big on the spot fine to seizure of the car. In many countries owners will have two sets of wheels, the posh alloys fitted with summer tyres and a set of steel wheels with winter tyres on. Come November and the wheels get swapped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

yes that is my case , Italy is one of those countries with compulsory Snow tyres or , alternatively, Snow chains on board.

the Snow chains could suffice, but if there is a 4S tyre that meets all the requirements, then why not ?

I am VERY happy with my Kleber Citylanders, really happy; I though the Coopers were very good, up to now I put on the Klebers over 3000milesin all sort of weather and more or less terrain and I cannot fault them.

Just waiting for some snow (not really... :mrgreen:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts