RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the transmission in my 2000 4.0 SE. Wondering if 96-98 4.0 4hp22 will work in my 2000 p38 ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
In a word yes.

two auto boxes, the 4.6 had a stronger one than the 4.0 but that will still fit.

The 4.0 adn the Diesel had the same.

There was also an auto box.

I am sure somebody can give better details

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, all 4.0 have the same transmission from 1996 through 2001. That means I can use a transmission from pre-99 ?? Can someone confirm that? Thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Bellhousing will certainly be different due to up to 98/99 Gems had a Steel sump, 99'on Thor Engine had a Alloy Sump so Lower Mounting bolt holes are different. May be able to swap parts Bellhousing etc. but not to sure.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
leonl said:
So, all 4.0 have the same transmission from 1996 through 2001. That means I can use a transmission from pre-99 ?? Can someone confirm that? Thanks.
Yes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Col said:
The Bellhousing will certainly be different due to up to 98/99 Gems had a Steel sump, 99'on Thor Engine had a Alloy Sump so Lower Mounting bolt holes are different. May be able to swap parts Bellhousing etc. but not to sure.

Cheers
Thanks for the replies. So, it is not a direct swap even though it is "quite" similar. Good to know exactly what are the differences. That is what I need to confirm on, to make my life easier I would stick to 99-01 transmission.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max said:
If you're in the US check out http://www.roverlandparts.com. They sell fully rebuilt and warrantied transmissions with new torque converters for about $1100. Good luck.
I did. They have great price for the rebuilt one. I will check with them to see how is the shipping cost. Thanks.

Rich998a said:
You can also use one from a Discovery 2 auto.
What year of disco2 ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Any of them from 1998 to 2004. Certainly all UK spec Disco2 automatic, including the TD5 from what I understand.

The bellhousing is very simple to change over. It's the main gearbox that you are interested in, but you will need the suitable bellhousing for the engine application.

Even though the sump differs slightly on the GEMS and Thor engines, I'd expect the same bellhousing for it. The back of the RV8 is the same for 4.0 or 4.6, and I'd be suprised if the bellhousing was different for both engines. Someone with MicroCat (my copy is at work) could check to see if there are more than one part number for a bellhousing on the Pertol p38.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Where are you located I have a good pre 99 transmission works great I drove the car before I removed it..
I show these part numbers for the bell housing. The following part numbers are listed as the Housing assembly- torque converter auto Transmission RTC8594 to vin. WA410481, TGS100080 From vin. XA410482
These part numbers are listed as Housing governor extension: TGS100140, 4.0 From vin. XA410482
TGS100130, 4.6 From XA410482 hope this helps..

Scotty

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rich998a said:
Any of them from 1998 to 2004. Certainly all UK spec Disco2 automatic, including the TD5 from what I understand.

The bellhousing is very simple to change over. It's the main gearbox that you are interested in, but you will need the suitable bellhousing for the engine application.

Even though the sump differs slightly on the GEMS and Thor engines, I'd expect the same bellhousing for it. The back of the RV8 is the same for 4.0 or 4.6, and I'd be suprised if the bellhousing was different for both engines. Someone with MicroCat (my copy is at work) could check to see if there are more than one part number for a bellhousing on the Pertol p38.
Logically, it sounds right. All 4.0 and all 4.6 should be the same except bell housing. I wish I have both or all the transmission sitting around to do a comparison. Since I am doing it in my garage, it has to be out and in as smooth as possible. Thanks for the input.

Scotty said:
Where are you located I have a good pre 99 transmission works great I drove the car before I removed it..
I show these part numbers for the bell housing. The following part numbers are listed as the Housing assembly- torque converter auto Transmission RTC8594 to vin. WA410481, TGS100080 From vin. XA410482
These part numbers are listed as Housing governor extension: TGS100140, 4.0 From vin. XA410482
TGS100130, 4.6 From XA410482 hope this helps..

Scotty
Scotty, I am locating in Birmingham, Alabama. I will look at the transmission today and get all those part numbers. Thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rich998a said:
The back of the RV8 is the same for 4.0 or 4.6, and I'd be suprised if the bellhousing was different for both engines. Someone with MicroCat (my copy is at work) could check to see if there are more than one part number for a bellhousing on
The Bellhousing IS Different, on a 'Thor Engine' it bolts to the Sump as well as the Engine Block and on the 'Gems Engine' there is a Seperate Alloy Cover Plate which bolts to the Bellhousing. I know this for certain as I fitted a Thor Alloy Sump to a Gems Engine and had to Re-Drill the Bellhousing on the 'Gems' Transmission to Match the holes in the 'Thor' Sump Pan.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, keep the current bell housing. Mate it onto any p38 4.0 tranny should work? Transmission oil pump, sensors, torque converter, gearbox mounting point, etc are all the same?

Sorry to complicate stuff, what about 4.6 transmission? Can it be use on 4.0? I know the ECU is different due to shifting. The reason I ask is because 4.6 transmission is built "stronger".

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Scotty for the help. Nice doing business with you. Hope to get my RR running soon. Thanks everyone for your pointers, input and helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just want to bump this tread up so I can thank Scotty for being the best seller I have dealt with. Anyone needs p38 or any parts, please email/pm/call Scotty. Very honest, prompt, friendly, reasonable, flexible guy to deal with.

Thanks again Scotty. Pleasure to do business with you. Will definitely give you a call when I need any other parts. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts