RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the dealer to day for an oil change on my 06 RRS HSE and the sales manager and a sales guy (Chris and Craig) at RR Farmington Hills, obviously has a little time and wanted to show me the 2010 RRS SC (in black, not my preferred color) but having never driven the old RRS SC (4.2 SC engine) i had to take advantage of this opportunity and i knew that they would be at least an hour with may car. Let me also say at this point that i love my RRS HSE and have been looking, not very hard but certainly looking at buying a 2007 911 between now and spring. STOP!!! I may not get my 911, that i have wanted for some time now and can finally afford. WHY? you ask, i know goosey is think that!

BECAUSE THAT RRS SC moves like no truck or freakin car for that matter that i have driven. I can only assume that the Porsche Cayenne GTS maybe can move like that. I know there are supercars that can haul ass, but none that you can drive in Michigan in February. At 510 HP and all wheel drive and certainly a comfy a$$ cockpit, all the toys! and tons of room, why would someone want the expense of maintenance and insurance on a second vehicle, when there is the 2010 RRS SC! Really this may just be the perfect vehicle that i have been looking for all my adult life. With no word of a lie i had to slow down to merge onto the express way because i was doing 95 on the on ramp in NO TIME! And i am not a speed demon.

OK here is the challenge, someone try to sell on staying with my dream of buying that 911 or at least confirm that i am on the right track with my thoughts of going all in for this 2010 RRS SC> AND IF ANYONE HAS THE CHANCE< GO DRIVE ONE OF THESE THINGS AND YOU"LL UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING> looking forward to your replies!

LP

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,470 Posts
Were you planning to trade in the RRS on the 911? If so, sounds like the new S/C is for you.

If not, why not keep the RRS and add the 911, they are good stable mates and complement each other nicely I find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to keep the RRS and add the 911 but if i go for the RRS SC< that would be my one and only ride!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Uh oh LP, I think you realize what you have done is a very bad thing. When at the dealer for only an hr or so, I always go directly over to the lounge, grab a slightly stale powdered sugar donut, make myself a french roast on the Keurig machine, then assuming the lotus position on the couch, take in the safari-like atmosphere that my dealer has cultivated in the showroom. I never move until I hear, "Mr. Loosey, your car is ready."

But what's done is done.

Since we are both north of the Mason-Dixon line, NJ and MI tend to experience the same sort of weather (I'm assuming that's the Farmington Hills you're referring to), I'll dissent slightly and tell you that if you like the 2010 SC so much, it might be the better choice. The 9XX will be a garage queen for 4 months of the year in our climate. I also appreciate the simplicity of owning one car. At my high water mark a few years ago, I owned five vehicles that I had accumulated over the years. Since then I've had a Shaker-inspired catharsis, and I brought it down to 2. I feel liberated.

Plus with the Porsche, you're gonna have to buy: a custom car cover with embroidered Porsche emblem, the entire first twenty pages of the Griot's Garage catalog, and a nomex drivers suit, driving shoes and a Snell approved helmet to hang on the garage wall. That sh*t adds up. :D

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Plus with the Porsche, you're gonna have to buy: a custom car cover with embroidered Porsche emblem, the entire first twenty pages of the Griot's Garage catalog, and a nomex drivers suit, driving shoes and a Snell approved helmet to hang on the garage wall. That sh*t adds up. :D
Honestly, this holds some truth. No offense to those who own them, but if you're not tracking this thing then you're wasting your money in terms of performance usage - because you sure as Golly Gee Whiz shouldn't be driving it like that on the street.

·
Registered
96 Posts
See my signature for my vote.

The RRS SC is not a substitute for any sports car. It may haul a$$, but it isn't a sports car.

I enjoy the luxury of having a special 911 for when I want to drive it. And enjoy the luxury of having a very nice and good driving SUV. But generally speaking, 500 hp on a daily driver is frustrating because you never get to use it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
points well taken

Triple E no track for me. Three companies, two kids and a wife. no time for tracks.

Goosey, i wish i could get into the lotus position!

I gotta tell you all that i have not been this geeked about a car in a long time.

keep the responses coming.

LP

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was in your same shoes a year ago.

At this time in my life, I had an 07 BMW 530i (slower than heck and looks like a Toyota Camry)
and a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and an '04 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Something was missing
in my life.

I had wanted a 911 since I was 8 years old and knew it was the right time in my life to make the purchase.
However, a 911 is not handy for hauling or towing anything, so I figured I would buy a Range Rover Sport
and get rid of the BMW and the Grand Cherokee. So, I did just that. I bought a black 08 RRS HSE in May of this year and absolutely love it. It hauls, tows, and is absolutely a gorgeous truck.

I was still missing a key element in my life: The Porsche 911. The RRS is a great truck and I'll have one around
the house for years to come, however, they are not a 911 (nor are they designed to be one).

I got to looking around for a 911 and narrowed it down to a few good ones. I wanted a Guards Red, one
owner, low mileage, perfect condition 911 that had been babied since new. I found one in Green Bay
Wisconsin. A lawyer owned it from the day it was new and it was one of his four cars. He was buying
a GT3 and wanted to sell his 911.
It is an 06 911, Guards Red, Porsche Sport Exhaust, PASM, absolutely loaded, 5,200 miles, and in showroom
condition. I made the trip up north and got it bought and drove it home.

The 911 is the best performing and handling car I have ever had. Nothing compares. It is lightning quick
and handles better than any vehicle on the road. It puts a smile on my face every time I start the
engine and listen to the Sport Exhaust gargle.
In addition, there literally is not a single day that goes by when someone doesn't make a positive comment
about the car--complete strangers give you a thumbs up and strike up conversations about the car and
how they have wanted one for years.

In addition, the 911 is a reliable sports car that can be driven on a daily basis, if you desire.

So, now I have the ultimate garage -- 08 Range Rover Sport (black), 06 911 (Guards Red), and an '04
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (Green--for casual fun).

I highly recommend the 911 for a second vehicle. It compliments the RRS perfectly. Keep your 06 HSE
and add the 911 to your stall. You will be very happy you did. :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
TripleE said:
gooseyloosey said:
Honestly, this holds some truth. No offense to those who own them, but if you're not tracking this thing then you're wasting your money in terms of performance usage - because you sure as Golly Gee Whiz shouldn't be driving it like that on the street.
Ok Eric...come on down to Houston, have a go in the 997 and then tell me if you feel the same way - there's nothing like driving a Porsche, and going back and forth between the RRS and 911 is a thrill, even if you're not tracking it, and there are plenty of places to drive it in an entertaining fashion without endangering anyone. Every curve looks like an opportunity to play.

Every time I try to get into the track day weekends here, the **** thing fills up in like 2 minutes...I've tried 6 times already to sign up and no luck yet, I think I'm going to have to place a call to the head of the chapter here. However, they did tell me I could bring the RRS out there with the 20's on a race just the same. :D

I'm laughing myself sick with the Griot's garage comment...oh my, how that rings true. Piloti driving shoes - all the way, and very comfortable by the way in the Rover too for those 800-900 mile days as well.

Get them both!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At Law, what did you pay for that gem of 996 911? Carera? I am looking for a 997, 2007 +. Not a C4 and not a turbo. i think 50 - 55 should get one with about 10K on it. i think that is realistic.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Ok Eric...come on down to Houston, have a go in the 997 and then tell me if you feel the same way - there's nothing like driving a Porsche, and going back and forth between the RRS and 911 is a thrill, even if you're not tracking it, and there are plenty of places to drive it in an entertaining fashion without endangering anyone. Every curve looks like an opportunity to play.

Every time I try to get into the track day weekends here, the **** thing fills up in like 2 minutes...I've tried 6 times already to sign up and no luck yet, I think I'm going to have to place a call to the head of the chapter here. However, they did tell me I could bring the RRS out there with the 20's on a race just the same. :D

I'm laughing myself sick with the Griot's garage comment...oh my, how that rings true. Piloti driving shoes - all the way, and very comfortable by the way in the Rover too for those 800-900 mile days as well.

Get them both!!!
Oh, there's no denying the feel of a driving a p-car; but I still stand by the statement that there is a lot of performace not utilized unless your out at an autocross or driving event. I guess my point is that you shouldn't be comparing the two and if you are, probably best to just get the RRS. :lol: Maybe one day I'll have that problem!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
That's fair...I agree that never driving the P-car on the track would be akin to never taking the LR offroad.

Hopefully one day, these **** DE's will open up!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
PJPR01 said:
akin to never taking the LR offroad.
Ooooh, good point. Sinner! Although what about AX? You can actually go 100% there instead of the ~80-90% (well, at least for me) at DEs and you should be able to get in easier?

P.S. I think you forgot to mention that you'll be trailering your 997 to Moab next year for my personal enjoyment...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
TripleE said:
PJPR01 said:
akin to never taking the LR offroad.
Ooooh, good point. Sinner! Although what about AX? You can actually go 100% there instead of the ~80-90% (well, at least for me) at DEs and you should be able to get in easier?

P.S. I think you forgot to mention that you'll be trailering your 997 to Moab next year for my personal enjoyment...
That's a good suggestion too...I'll have to check on the AX as an alternative.

Actually, I might be trailering something...but it'll be on 2 wheels! :D :D

And if you're going to do Moab next year, plan on spending an extra couple of days with us doing the White rim trail again...see my sig picture from last year's adventure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
LP's HSE:

Good decision to add a 911 to your garage.

My Porsche is a 2006 997. I am not a fan of the 996 model.
The 997 is modeled after the 993 body, which is my (and most Porsche enthusiast's) all time favorite. Lots of big improvements were made with the 997.

You are probably aware of this, however, Porsche introduced the 997
in 2005, and I would certainly get a 2005 or newer.

I paid $50k for my 2006 997, with all right options, one owner, showroom
condition, and 5k miles.
I also did not want a turbo or a C4. An "S" would have been fine, however,
I didn't find one that had the right options at the time.

If you want to spend $50k or so, you'll be able to find a 2006 or 2007 997
which is well equipped, low miles, and should be like new.

Good luck with your hunt and keep us advised on your progress.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
TripleE said:
Off topic, but important. We may not get the chance to off-road at Moab much longer if some Prius driving, tree hugging, retarded Democrats from NY have it their way: http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/bills/?bill=13274916. Map of proposed land closure to all motorized vehicles in Utah: http://www.suwa.org/site/PageServer?pag ... ickablemap

Do something about it and oppose this legislation today, this is urgent! Follow the Take Action Now! prompt on the first link to write your local Representative and tell him/her you oppose bill # H.R.1925. Also posted under General Chatter.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
cough ZR1 cough

Add a box trailer to the mix and you can go to ever track day and scare the living day lights out of the VW-----I mean 911 owners. :lol:

·
Registered
522 Posts
The 911, is the everyday super car. And if you have kids, they'll love riding in the back. Can't do that with Ferraris, Lambos or Vettes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and i do have two young girls, 5 and 3, so chalk up one more vote for the 911.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts