RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I have nothing but good things to say about Arnot products. Here is the background. 3 years ago, I had a leak from the front bags, replaced with Arnott units. Approxamatly a year later I needed tires as the front was showing chord on the insides. I had an alignment done at the same time. Today I notice cords on the front again (after 12,000) miles and got another alignment. Now the left tire is 0.0 Camber, right is -.8(-.8 to 0.2 is 'in' spec), cross camber is -.9 (out of spec).So the right front tire is barely within range. The shop didnt charge me for the alignment as they didnt want to spend the time to do it right. As of right now, the car pulls slightly to the right.

Font
Caster is L6.3, R6.5
Toe is L0.0, R-0.02

Rear
Camber L-1.0 R-1.1
Toe L.2, R.18
They tried to 'set the toe and let it go' but I complained and they loosened the top strut bolts and moved the air strut a few mm's to the outside.

From the looks of it, the air spring is maxed out to the outside. Im fairly confident that I will have premature wear again if not resolved quickly.

I have no problem taking it to the dealer for this type of service as I think the bag sould have been deflated enough to take the load off of it for re centering. I also think they have the proper computers to set ride height while the car is on the rack.

Am I on the right track with taking it to the dealer?

2005 HSE NA

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
That was going to be my suggestion. It;s worth paying again for a full alignment at a shop that will actually do the work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap, I knew I forgot to add something. At the end of the session, I showed the alignment spec printout and how it was out of spec for Camber......that being why I had to get new tires in the first place. They took it of the bill.

FWIW, Its hard to find a good alignment shop in L.A. Most know how to set the toe and the customer wont have a clue.

My Mercedes 190E is the same story, nobody can align it properly but the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
If I recall, my MB had to be in the air for the camber et al to be set correctly. Sounds crazy, I know, but they used a lift and put it about 6' up and used laser equipment. I had my Vogue done recently when having new tires as a matter of course and all the parameters were met although I didn't watch so don't know if it was raised but they did use lasers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an appointment set Monday AM with the dealer. $175 is doable. But I will still require before and after printouts etc. IIRC the rave manual says something about hooking up a tool to talk to the EAS unit to make sure the ride height is set perfectly while in the normal driving mode. This eliminates and sagging that can occur during the alignment process. If a bag is just a little off with the engine shut down, Im sure it will throw off the numbers and you will drive off with a problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. LR said the front right strut (Arnott) is bent. The strut is 3 years old and had never been in any sort of accident, off road or hard pot hole. I believe Arnott rebuilds used struts and it looks like I got a bent one.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
865 Posts
.8 degree of camber is not wearing you tires. It takes very significant camber to wear tires. Caster also has no affect on tire wear. They do affect the tendency for the car to "pull", though.

So, either your toe is off, or you have something loose (worn out) in the front suspension.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CJD, .8 was what they could correct it to and its barely in spec. Wearing the inner inch of tread to the cords is classic camber wear. Ill find out in the AM if anything else is fubar as my indy will be putting on a new Arnott.

rfdiii, I dont know if their warranty covers a bent strut. The problem is I didnt bend it and Im the only one who drives my RR. I know that a bad strut got rebuilt and made it past quality control. S##t happens.

Side note, LR of Thousand Oaks charged me $0 for the diagnosis and gave me a 2015 Jaguar XK as a loaner. The XK is my wifes dream car. I passed her on her way to work and she flipped out. She thought I bought her a little gift.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This is why I suggest to buy brand new front strut assemblies,

The ARnott replacements are new bags and a fresh coat of paint on a worn strut.
This may have changed but a phone call to the MFG should answer it.
Maybe you should get your wife the Jag

·
Registered
865 Posts
CJD, .8 was what they could correct it to and its barely in spec. Wearing the inner inch of tread to the cords is classic camber wear. Ill find out in the AM if anything else is fubar as my indy will be putting on a new Arnott.
On this truck, a change in camber changes toe. I assure you the toe went out on your alignment to cause that wear. With the toe out, I bet the truck felt "darty", in that it didn't like holding a straight line.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that toe can change camber. That's the first thing the tech adjusted. Once back in spec the camber was still out. I was watching over his shoulder much to his shagrin.

Arnott said negative on the warranty. Only applies to the bag.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Arnott said negative on the warranty. Only applies to the bag.
Ouch.

I echo Merlin's post above. Always purchase new struts. Arnott is great if you are buying parts for old P38s or Classics. It seems to be an ongoing issue that "remanufactured" items often fall short of realistic expectations.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big thanks to Yorks and Lancs in Chatsworth, Ca. They had me in and out in 1.5 hours and $515. They recommended their alignment guy across the street. This guy was a master. He did every thing with levels, measuring sticks and some specialized tools. No computer at all. I was in awe. The alignment is perfect.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Big thanks to Yorks and Lancs in Chatsworth, Ca. They had me in and out in 1.5 hours and $515. They recommended their alignment guy across the street. This guy was a master. He did every thing with levels, measuring sticks and some specialized tools. No computer at all. I was in awe. The alignment is perfect.
Glad the new strut got you set up!

After several "bad" alignments from shops using very expensive laser alignment racks, I began doing my own alignments. An alignment is only as good as the tech using the fancy equipment...and of course how well the equipment is maintained.

There is really nothing magic about doing it yourself. I use a combination of levels and sighting to set each wheel, and frequently get 80k+ out of a set of tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts