Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

A couple of months ago my steering wheel controls went and the srs light & "airbag fault" message popped up - I replaced the rotary coupler (with a second hand one), reset the error and all was fine until last week the steering wheel controls went off and this afternoon the srs/airbag fault message came back on immediately after manouvering on hard lock in the car park.

When I installed the rotary coupler I made sure the steering was dead ahead, but presumably it's possible that the breaker didn't have the steering straight when he took the coupler out and now it's stretched too far?

I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and check connections etc, so what I'm really wondering is if there a way to check the rotary coupler halves are correctly aligned? From what I've read it's pretty non-user-servicable component and there are no external markings, hence all the dire warnings about locking the steering and removing the key before starting work...

Cheers
John

G

·
I have heard from people that they have repaired the thing....but never heard how long this was succesfull

normaly the coupler is blocked when taken out of the vehicle (pin pressed when mounted) but indeed, if the breaker took it out fully turned to one side, and you put in in, with the wheels straigt..... that is about 1,5-2 windings off....

can you prevent that? honestly, could not say... if you know what way the flatcable inside is wound.... you count "unwind"it a turn or 2 to be sure.... looser will most likely be far less damaging than too tight

·
RIP Our Friend
27,833 Posts
Having had one split and "unwind" it;s way right out the door and across the drive I would not be too concerned. There is something like 10 or 12 loops of ribbon cable inside. Being off 2 full turns would still leave several coils each direction, more than enough to have slack left over.

G

·
so simply bad luck having another secondhand one that was on the eve of breaking when you got it....

by the way... Disco1, Disco 2 and P38 have identical rotary couplers

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I'll order another one. Not having much luck with these, the first replacment had been butchered to remove the srs cable!

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you know if the wheel and the clock spring have to touch directly each other?
mine on the picture have a gap, is it normal?

can we move the steering column shaft up and down to remove this gap?

thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,229 Posts
That gap looks normal to me. If the steering wheel is fully slotted on, and bolted up tight, then the gap is normal.

It all gets covered up once the shroud is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think my rotary coupler is screwed, become noisy due to a wrong alignment, I damaged the rotary coupler.
I scared that the srs airbag trigger itself, need to replace it ASAP, however, due to the gap mentioned, the rotary coupler can move by itself, that is my worry, I want to fix it for good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.