1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ALARM TRIGGERED' wont start, confused after troubleshooting for a week

Hello,
First off I have been researching the forums and dealing with this problem for over a week now and am stuck, looking for any advice, insight, or information.

I have a 1997 P38 Range rover, 4.0 SE.

Never had any problems with the alarm in 2 years then the other day I am sitting in my house and the alarm suddenly starts going off, takes me a minute to get outside so it stops before I get to it. Have a look around and can’t see any reason it was triggered just sitting in my driveway so I leave it be. Come back an hour later and all the hazard lights are on solid, hit the key fob and it locks and they turn off, odd but no big deal.

The next day I go to drive it and it won’t start, says ‘ALARM TRIGGERED’, all dash lights are on but won’t turn over, key Fob is no longer synced, but central locking system still works with key. After doing some research I believe it is immobilized from the alarm.

So first thing I try is re-syncing the Fob and putting in new Fob batteries, won’t sync. So then I try resetting system via key in Position 2 and unhook battery method, no luck there.
Next I try the EKA code 1515, no luck (Had some trouble with this as ‘locking lights’ did not light up each time I turned the key, worried problem may exist in door key cylinder micro-switch, also dash does not say ‘input key code’ which may be needed for this to work)

The odd thing is after the ‘ALARM TRIGGERED’ code the dash cleared and displays no other faults, just windows out of sync, alarm sets when I lock car with the key as red dash light is flashing, and unarms when I unlock with key. It wasn’t until I left the rover battery unhooked overnight, then tried key in position 2 method again, hook up battery, nothing happens, try to start and the alarm sounds and dash reads ‘ENGINE DISABLED’. I have to close driver’s door and unlock to stop alarm. Then dash clears again and no more readouts. Central locking still working with key.

I am confused because it seems as if the alarm is cleared but engine is still immobilized, I think if I could get my key fob to sync I would be golden, but may be beyond that by now.
Basically, wondering if anybody else had a similar experience and was able to fix or any ideas what I should do before having to tow to a dealer and start hooking up to computers and spending $$. Just seems odd to me that alarm seems to function correctly, no dash errors, but still won’t start.

Thanks and let me know if I can supply any more info that may help.

-Alden

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: 'ALARM TRIGGERED' wont start, confused after troubleshooting for a week

just a quick question, but is the battery charged up. May have been flattened by the alarm going off and leaving the lamps on. Enough charge to put dash lamps on etc.... but not enough to crank engine and this makes the battery loose whatever charge it has??? not sure but just an idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Seems like its pretty well charged but I will try giving it a charge this evening when I get home, you never know. Everything lights up brightly on the dash and radio, but when I turn and hold ignition key to start (Position 3), there is a loud click noise and the radio lights go off completely as long as I hold it in P3, when I release they come back on. Is this a sign of low battery or engine immobilized? I'll feel pretty dumb but happy if its just a low battery. thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

How old is the battery?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1.5-2 years old.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Everything lights up brightly on the dash and radio, but when I turn and hold ignition key to start (Position 3), there is a loud click noise and the radio lights go off completely as long as I hold it in P3, when I release they come back on.
That is a certain sign of a low battery or a bad battery connection. It can supply enough power for the interior lights, dashboard and radio but as soon as you try to pull in the starter motor the solenoid pulls in (loud click from low down in the engine bay) and all the battery's power tries to operate the starter and there's none left for anything else.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

As well as charging the battery, I would certainly check all main cables from the battery posts to the chassis earth points and to the starter motor.
Also, it occurs to me, that if you are like me (lazy, that is...), you did not clean the battery terminal you removed to try the overnight trick, nor did you use a wrench to tighten it back on, since it will ~usually~ work with it just wedged on firmly.......
Go and loosen, clean and re install / tighten the battery terminals and try again.
If you have indeed sent it into lock down, Have a chat with Scotty, the Becm Dr before sending it to the stealership!
If it is a Becm issue, he is the MAN!
Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the tips. I am trickle charging it tonight but will also clean and tighten terminals and plugs. Will let you guys know where things stand tomorrow. One thing I forgot to mention is when i turn the key to position 2 the dash lights up but there is no check engine light illuminated. I read somewhere its a BECM issue if check engine light doesnt light up. Anyways, ill update tomorrow asap. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

After cleaning the terminals, trickle charging and even trying to jump start it still no luck getting the engine to turnover. Still no faults besides the window faults. Also still no check engine light. when I tried reconnecting the battery while key in position 2 I got the "Slow 35mph max" and "EAS Manual" faults, they were gone after I unlocked it with the key. (I have coils no airbags and the compressor and fuse have been removed for the EAS). Does this sound more like a key sync issue or a BECM lock issue? I will see if I can get a hold of Scotty at becm dr for some advice. thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I sent the BECM and ECU to Scotty at BECM doctor in CA so he could sync them up. After talking with him it became obvious I didn't really have any other options, he was also cheaper than my local independent RR shop. He was very helpful throughout the entire process and I am happy to say I am back on the road. BECM was also unlocked by Scotty so if this happens again in the future the EKA key code process will get me back in. I hope this helps if anyone ever comes across the same problem.

Thanks,
-Alden

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been researching this issue as I have a very similar situation. I haven't had any of the "alarm" issues you had, but I'm in a no start mode and I don't get a cel when I put the key in p2 or p3. Battery, cables, starter & solenoid all check out fine. Did you actually remove you BeCM & ECM and mail it in for resync? I seem to only find this blackbox syncmate in older posts, does no such stand alone device still exist? Any help is appreciated!

Disregard question 1, as I've visited the BeCM dr site and confirmed the "mail in" service. I'm really hoping there is an alternative solution of self syncing that's not too costly. It appears that all of the diagnostic equipment comes from out of state and having some trouble trying to decipher all of the functions of the Nanocom to see if it's a cost effective solution...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

I'm not sure but, Atlantic British may have something like the Synch-Mate. Additionally, I do a complete service/ cleaning when the BECM comes to me regardless of the service which has been purchased. You may find someone on the site here who might be in your area that could try to synch-mate. You can also go to the dealer but of course you never know what your going to get.

Iv'e been thinking for some time to start a rental program for the Synch tool. I'll give it some thought over the weekend. Unfortunately for you if I chose to do this, I wouldn't have the tools, for a week or two..

Good luck, were here if you need us!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks for the reply; great community here! I honestly get sick to my stomach at the mere thought of towing this thing 22 miles to the nearest Rover dealer, without any idea of what type of dog and pony show I'll be presented with... I'm considering boxing it up for shipment to you, but that obviously does nothing for me "the next time" this random occurrence happens. Thanks for the tip on AB, I will check there for a sync-mate type product, but otherwise I think I have to consider forking out the coin for one of the high end diagnostic tools and software. I just don't see how I can comfortably roll around in a P38 without being able to diagnose on the spot. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

I have an MSVII and just got a Nanocom. Both very high quality tools.
Either will do a re synch. Bit of fuss, unlike a synch mate, but no biggie.
I have been really liking the NC as it has nearly all of the functions of the MSVII and of course, does not require a Cpu
to work. Also works on all 3 of my P38's with out additional licenses.
You are right however that having a stand alone diagnostic tool in the cubby box really does give great peace of mind.
A good quality diagnostic tool of your own will probably more than pay for itself the first time you need it!
I also send any Becm I have (3 now) to Scotty for unlocking, and general tune up's.
The first one was so alarmed and locked down, it was my only choice. The other 2 also had some potential issues that Scotty caught and fixed before I got stranded.....
Once unlocked they are a bit easier to deal with.
Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks for the reply and further support of Scotty. I've decided that at this point I'll be shipping him my BeCM & ECM for evaluation and re sync. In a month or two I'll pick up a Nanocom. I'll report back on how it goes...
Thanks
K

1 - 15 of 15 Posts