RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have officailly used up all of the quick fixes to my alarm/immobilizer problem and have been completely locked out of my truck for a couple weeks now.

The past couple of years I have been stuck with the doors locking and the car immobilizing itself and my key-fob is pretty much dead/unreliable. The constant locking and unlocking and alarming etc always drains my battery, and so that adds another reason I might get stranded!

Usually I can set the alarm off by opening the doors, and 8-12 hours later, the alarm seems to dis-engage and I can usually get it running. Recently it went from 8-12 hours to 2-3 days; and in my frenzy of being pissed, I took the inner door off and blasted the door parts with PB blaster ( probably a bad idea).

I thought it worked because the next morning it let me turn it on, and the doors didnt lock themselves for at least a week, when before it was a daily thing. Then all of a sudden, they locked themselves and now I have offically been locked out for a couple of weeks now.

I tried charging the battery, because I read somewhere that the BeCM gets upset when the battery is low, and the charge hasn't changed anything.

My friend owns a shop and just bought a $8000 computer(not sure what kind), and thinks he can use that to resync/dis-engage/re-mobilize the engine. And on top of that, I would love for him to totally disarm the alarm system forever. But he is an hour away, and I don't want to tow my truck all that way if it wont do any good. so is that possible? That would save me alot of problems since I really don't care to lock up my truck.

OR, I was reading this post - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32391&p=250437&hilit=alarm#p250437
and they mentioned "blackbox solutions syncmate" and wondered if that would work. If anyone knows if it does or where I can find one that can be shipped to the US, that would be great!

I just want/need to get it going, and if the syncmate works, I would love to spare my friend the trouble, and that would be great to jsut carry that around.

I really just need it to last 9 more months untill I graduate school and get a job, or at least getting running until the colder weather hits Indiana and the doors dont seem to lock themselves. Then I could sell the thing and dump the problem on someone with more patients/time to deal with getting a permenant fix!

-PS I should have listened and fixed the door latch :( but I thought I would make it to the cold weather and Im about a month short

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Re: Alarm lock out and immobilized! Quick fixes officially gone!

i dont know what computer your friend has, so cant comment on that. but if it isnt a land rover thing, then i doubt it will do anything.
by the sound of it, a faultmate is what you need, not a syncmate. either way you will need to get into it and turn the ignition on to power up the obd socket.
i think there is a setting in faultmate for the alarm and auto relock etc.

martin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the info, I will try and ask him, but I think he mentioned textbook t4 or something, Im really not sure. He says Land Rover is listed on the product info for the computer, but Im with you on thinking it probably wont do anything......

Anywhere on ebay/the net that I can find a faultmate and how do I know if thats the right thing to get?

And can anyone tell me what the different blinking lights mean? Sometimes when i disconnect the battery and use the mechanical key to try and sync/eka procedure the lights flash once, and sometimes they flash 3 times?

and along those lines....sometimes the red alarm ligh inside the truck flashes really fast and sometimes slow?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

go over to blackbox solutions website for the faultmate.

martin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ah, the alarm deactivated and I got it running. Then Turned it off, used my unreliable key fob to make sure it was unlocked, then I think (read this somewhere else on the forum) since I unlocked it with the fob and didnt turn the car on, it thought it was an "accidental unlock" and locked itself and re-armed the alarm....

is there anyone else to confirm a faultmate will fix this over and over? There really isnt any faults just my stupid alarm and immobilized engine message.

plus which faultmate am I looking for?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts

We have an entire daignostics equipment forum for your final question. A bit of research witll give you the full scale of options, not just a one shot answer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

For people looking up this post in the future, It looks like I found a work around to the truck unlocking/locking by itself if it is indeed a faulty actuator. To clarify my problem; my car locking and alarming itself and my key fob would continuosly get un-synced. When I would open the doors even after trying to unlock mannualy, the alarm would sound and engine would immobilize.

The following might be useful while you wait around for the new part, or if you dont care about your doors being locked (like me), it might fix the problem. Especially since my key fob is pretty much dead, this has seemed to save me being stranded for the mean-time.

I went ahead and waited for the alarm to disable and for all the doors to unlock and then disconnected the door latch actuator wires on my drivers side door. The car hasn't locked itself for a couple days now and that seems to be the problem/ now somewhat fixed.

The doors will remain unlocked FOREVER or until I replace the part, but I would rather leave the doors unlocked then risk them totally locking me out.

I am not sure about this, but a admin may be able to confirm this.

Things to keep in mind:
1.If your car is unlocking and locking itself, wait for it to re-mobilize and unlock the doors
-for some reason after setting the alarm off and trying to turn the key then getting the engine immobilized message on the dash, I would do the EKA procedure until it failed over and over and the car would 'superlock',
-I then waited, especially overnight (since the heat was making my actuator malfunction), for around 12 hours and the car would magically un-arm the alarm and allow me to re-enter without the key fob since mine is pretty much dead.
then make sure the alarm is disabled and all the doors are unlocked before prying the door pannel of to the suspected malfunctioning actuator
-Disconnect the connectors of the acuator and now it shouldnt lock/unlock the car by itself

You will now be able to use the mechanical key to lock/unlock the drivers side door (but it will not electronically register, AKA the CDL system wont work)
-The front doors can be unlocked and locked mannually, but I found my back doors remained locked if I locked them. So either lock them and not allow ppl in the back or always keep them unlocked and pray a robber tries the front doors only.

If it is not the actuator, or you disconnected the wrong one, Then your alarm might be going off for a while since you need the car to electronically register turning the key on the drivers side door. Disconnecting that actuator will not allow this electronic registering to happen. So make sure you have your title with your name on it when the security at the mall comes up while your alarm goes nuts.

Hope any of this helps or someone can tell me this is totally wrong. Its worked for now at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts