RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone, first of all I want to say thanks for taking the time to read my message. Really depreciate it and hope that some of the seasoned vets in here could shed some advice.

I also want to note that I have combed through the forums to see if I can find a solution before posting but I feel like im at the end of the road lol.

A few weeks ago my Ranger Rover HSE's alarm started randomly going off through out the day and night. Shortly after it started going off as I turn the vehicle on. Every time without a skip.

I read the forums and found that many people had reported that it was the bonnet anti theft switch. I went on ebay looked for the part based on the year, make and model and ended up getting the wrong part from a dealer who listed the item as compatible.

I ended sending the part back and kept reading via google and found out that some people reported that simply unplugging the cable from the bonnet switch would eliminate the problem.

I just went to try that, closed the hood started the vehicle and sure enough the alarm went off again.

Any advice would be appreciated!

BTW the alarm goes off for about 30 seconds everytime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the alarm goes off even when driving. it appears that this started to happend when the dealership changed the battery.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
345 Posts
I had a similar issue with my LR3. Alarm would go off usually in the dead of night. I would also get a "Bonnet Open" warning. I removed the switch and shorted the connector terminals together, never had the problem again. I have never left my hood open in 40 plus years of driving - so why do I need to be told?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Changing a battery is not going to cause alarm issues. You most likely have a failed sensor in the alarm system. Hood sensors are the most common, disconnect it. You could also have a failing latch at any point of entry... or a latch that simply needs an adjustment. If a latch has worn over the years the microswitch that indicates that door or hatch is closed may not be fully operational.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ours would go off randomly but not while running. I believe you have to short the wires that feed the sensor. I thought I did and alarm still went off. This went on for weeks. So make sure the two wires are joined together either by aluminum foil or wire soe how or cut the wires and join them. I used a piece of foil iirc. and now it does not go off. I thought it might be one of the other microswitches as i often got a tailgate ajar notice but in the end it was the under hood microswitch. So make sure the wires are joined to make continuity and then report back. I do not believe I have read of a cure by replacing any of the door latches and our drivers door one does not lock and that was not it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently had a similar problem, but not when driving. I'm sure this won't help you but others reading for a similar problem. I let my parents drive my Rover for a few weeks while theirs was in the shop. My parents would complain that the alarm would just go off at the middle of night. Due to their super steep driveway, we concluded that it must be the "anti-tow" feature was setting it off. parked in the garage or street, and no more problem.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have read it but not sure where the sensor is located.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
469 Posts
Sensor is located at the rear of the bonnet opening mounted on the mini firewall between the engine bay and the battery / wiper / ecu area....it is a small pop up unit...on my old truck I just replaced the unit and it solved the alarm issue...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts