RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have airline blowouts, have had two in a week on same line. The one that crosses over rear axle. Repaired with fitting but not sure why happening.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,332 Posts
What plastic tube are you using? It should be 6mm o.d. nylon tube.
Also pneumo push fittings are no good. If you must do a join use a brass Wade fitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same plastic tube that was there just cut out blow then inserted into fitting which seems to work. It has happened again just now on highway. Strange along with GD traction failure srs and abs lights. Im ready to get shotgun and relieve car of existence...

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
You mean the plastic tube is bursting? I doubt it's the original then, somebody must have replaced it with some inferior rubbish that isn't up to the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the plastic/nylon?? I think isnt it...the I dont think it has ever been replaced. I am certain. I bought the car with 20k ish miles and no negative service history. I just crawled under to cut out todays blow and refit. This time I noticed that the other line that runs across rear axle had a bubble forming on it and cut that out and fit a coupling. I just cant figure out why now. I do notice that the compressor seems to run alot. I wthin in las month rplaced seals and cyl in compressor . It has never worked better. The location of the tubing is quite safe from damaging elements from road or heat, I think anyway. Is there an over pressure situation going on. I did notice some soft faults in Eas that would clear on their own. I gues it's back to Range Rover University for me....I love this car but also ....well you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing. It only seems to be happening when on highway. Today after I fixed this am I drove for 20 miles or so to airport on back roads instead of highway it was fine. I then thought well its OK so I took a short run on highway on way home, and it blew. I had had height locked as well, thought it may be related as last time it was on highway low cruise height.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The burst pressure of the tubing is well above what the air compressor can generate I am sure. There is also a pressure switch and a relief valve.
I half remember reading that the rear airline on earlier cars could be damaged by heat from the exhaust. Not sure about that, but it may be why the pipe burst in the first place. What kind of fitting did you use? As I said push fit type is not suitable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is near exhaust and that could well be the issue. In fact my exhaust pipe which leads to the two rear most silencers just broke/separated . I am going to temporarily splice. I wonder if it is blowing hot gases up in there ...that is a thought and a relatively new situation...hmmm you may be onto something...the more I think about it all the bursts are in same area within inches....the highway engine load creates more exhaust heat...etc. ...
.as for push fit fitting they are holding the new bursts are near them but the fitting itself seems fine. It is rated for 280 psi. Have you had bad experience withthese. I got them at US plastic, they are black plastic f some sort and as I said seem to be doing job. Have you had bad experience with them?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=58388 that is the fitting I am using. I looked up on manufacturer and it is rated to 16 bar.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hmm. You are not telling the full story mate. A leaking exhaust is almost certain to be your problem.
Plastic pneumatic push fittings do not have the heat rating. I used them under the bonnet (hood) and eventually they started to leak. Use a brass Wade fitting with type "N" ferrules 6mm o.d / 4mm i.d. You push the nylon tube over a spigot on the fitting and the nut tightens down on an olive. It won't leak again if you use one of those.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I've used the push on plastic ones in the past without any problems. They are the same design as the fittings in the other connections on the EAS system after all. But I will admit, brass Wade fittings would be better for a join.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for leading me to cause. It is curious , I had seen, and heard , that the exhaust pipe was dodgy, but didnt connect the two things until now. All the bursts are in exact same spot. I will address exhaust tomorrow. I will also order up some brass fittings as you suggest to have on hand. My differential diagnostic skills need work....lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts