RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to figure out some way to modify the intake on the airbox to prevent water from entering. As it is now my bumper makes the current intake quite exposed. My thoughts are to seal the current hole and drill an equivalent size one on the engine side of the box. I understand it will be drawing in hotter air, but it's not like were talking about a performance car here. Anyone see any problems with this idea, or have a better idea? Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Max said:
I need to figure out some way to modify the intake on the airbox to prevent water from entering. As it is now my bumper makes the current intake quite exposed. My thoughts are to seal the current hole and drill an equivalent size one on the engine side of the box. I understand it will be drawing in hotter air, but it's not like were talking about a performance car here. Anyone see any problems with this idea, or have a better idea? Thanks.
Hi Max, if you go often in the water, install a proper snorkel. Yes i know it'll be DIY but it can be done :geek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I really don't want to bother with a snorkel. For about 3 years now I've contemplated using a mantec one for the rrc/d1, or having a shop custom bend some pipe, I gave up as I've never seen one that looked all that good. I also figure that if I'm gonna get into water where a snorkel becomes necessary, theres gonna be other electrical items to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Run some sort of flexible pipe from your air box up to the plenum at the bottom of the window...if you get water over your hood you're going to have other things to worry about.

PS...figure out a way to seal the becm before you get water in it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks cool, I'm sure its not cheap though. I had always thought of some type of waterproof case for the BeCM, but then there would probably be a heat issue, and theres always the issue of keeping it watertight while having wiring running out of it. I've been in water over the hood before, and while I'm smart enough now to not try that again deliberately, I was lucky enough to not have any issues. Running a hose up to the plenum sounds good, but seems like it would just funnel water in if it did manage to splash over the hood. Maybe I'll just do this :roll:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts