RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced a bad alternator and had the negative battery cable removed from the battery as required. After replacing the alternator and reconnecting the battery, the SRS dash light came on. I reset it with my Lynx diagnostics tool, it went out, but came back on with cycling the key. Get the following error code: "OB40 safety battery terminal (positive pole separation) squib resistance too high-Present". Any ideas? Am going to disconnect the battery of both cables and the reconnect to see if it is a cable issue. 2003 RR 4.4

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
86 Posts
Brian, there are two cables going to alternator, one is big fat positive and one sort of like a regular 2 or 3 pin connector. See if both are connected like they should be. Check terminals to battery and to alt for oxidation or accidental oil drip on electrical connections.
If everything is ok with cables and connections, i might be suspecting your new alternator? I had replaced mine on 2003 with a "refurbished" $200 alt off eBay and it didn't survive long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I plan on checking the cables today. I used dielectric grease on the 2 pin connector, will pull it and see if perhaps it has too much on it. The negative cable is secure and has no corrosion as I cleaned it off prior to replacing the alt to see if corrosion was its' original issue. There is no oil drips on the cables and the alt was a new Bosch, not a refurb. If the alt was bad or had a bad connection, I would suspect that the dash battery light would also be on. Should be something simple one would think.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case this helps others. The SRS Light has been resolved. I disconnected both the positive and negative battery cables for about 15 minutes. Then reconnected them, reset the SRS fault code with the Lynx and all is well. Have driven it for several hours and no reoccurrence of the fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In case this helps others. The SRS Light has been resolved. I disconnected both the positive and negative battery cables for about 15 minutes. Then reconnected them, reset the SRS fault code with the Lynx and all is well. Have driven it for several hours and no reoccurrence of the fault.
I wanted to ask if the SRS light ever came back on? I just got the OB40 safety battery terminal (positive pole separation) squib resistance too high-Present" . I have a 2003 L322, I have a Lynx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts