RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, The SRS light came on my range rover last week and started saying airbag fault on the dash each time i start the car, i booked it in to my local landrover dealer and they said that the passenger airbag had gone open circuit, and i would need a new one, but they quoted me a stupid price so i said no thank you.

My question is if i disconnect the airbag will the light go off or can i put a resistor across it to take the SRS light off?
Its only used for off roading really and i just want to get rid of the SRS light as i find it quite annoying,
Or option 3 if i get a replacement airbag from a breakers yard and plug it in will it need programming?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've never heard of an airbag going open circuit unless it's been activated.

Check the yellow conectors under the seat. This is the usaul problem that causes the airbag & SRS light to illuminate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is a connector that can come loose where it connects behind the airbag. This might cause an open connection. Mine had a similar deal, and was fine after I reconnected it and reset the SRS system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, you where right connector behing air bag was loose, reconnected ans all is now fine.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Av_Dave said:
Thanks guys, you where right connector behing air bag was loose, reconnected ans all is now fine.

Many Thanks
Now take it up with the media or business practises to find out why, with all the supposed knowledge of a Landrover dealership that they would tell you that you needed a new airbag when you really didn't. Just for a moment imagine what would have happened if you had said "Sure, fix it". They go to change it, find the loose connector and charge you for a new air bag. You would be none the wiser although your wallet would be a hell of alot lighter..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yes your right, i did think of this but wondered if they would just say that they would have installed the new air bag realised it was just the connector and just charged me for that,

What do you guys think bear in mind they quoted £800 for a new airbag fitted.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, when I first bought my car, it came with the airbag/srs fault & the cheque book symbol. The dealership was going to charge me over $5k to fix. They claimed all the airbags needed replacing and they needed to pull the dash out to replace all the blend motors. :roll:
Long story short, I told them no thanks, and ended up fixing everything on my own with help from the forums here for less than $25. :dance:
Dealerships, Land Rover in particular are legalized criminals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had the airbag/srs code since I have owned my rover, little less than a year. I looked for this yellow connector under the seat and I couldn't find it, does someone have a picture of it or did it change color depending on the year? I believe that my problem maybe with the rotary coupler since my radio controls get mixed up from time to time but I wanted to check the other connections first. Do you have to get the computer reset at the dealer after you reconnected for the Airbag fault and srs light to go out?

Av_Dave, how did you get access to the connector that is behind the passenger airbag?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. If you open the glove box there are six screws holding the plastic back in undo these then you can carefully bring the back forward enough to get to the connector if you look up towards the airbag you will see the connector. I took it apart then reconnected it and wrapped it in insulation tape for good measure. You should really disconnect the battery and leave it for ten minutes before doing this but I didn't and it didn't explode. After doing this I started the car and my light went straight off without having to be reset. Bear in mind I learnt something new that if your srs light is on none of the airbags or pre tensioners will deploy in the event of an accident.

There is a yellow connector under the seats aswell I did the same with this disconnect, reconnect and tape.

Dave

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Aloha,
Old thread, different problem.....
I have an Airbag Fault.
When I put the FM2 on it and read the faults it told me that:
"THE AIRBAG WARNING LAMP IS MEASURING OPEN CIRCUIT"
"THE DRIVERS AIRBAG MEASURES SHORT CIRCUIT"
"THE SECONDARY WARNING LAMP CIRCUIT IS FAULTY"

So I unplugged the drivers airbag.
Got the lamp warnings as before, except now the airbag was reported as "OPEN CIRCUIT".
Cool, thinks I! I have a bad air bag!, No worries, found one on E-Pay and got it installed and......
Same thing!
Shorted fault with it plugged in, Open fault with it unplugged.....
Obviously, the cabling is OK as the status changes.. I tried unplugging and
re plugging the yellow connection under the dash.. No change.
Any help for this one?
Cheers!
Bolt

D

·
0 Posts
Replace the bulbs first as these can affect the SRS DCU operation/faults.

As you will have realised the connectors to the airbags are special items with 'sprung' prongs within which close (short circuit) on the airbag end when they are disconnected: It is worth checking (carefully !) that these are working correctly, too

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The SRS warning light actually contains two bulbs beneath the single 'SRS' lens, if one bulb fails the other immediately lights up, this is all it [and many SRS 'faults'] could be.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Thanks,
Someone has done a bit of surgery to the plug, it is a bit frayed (carved) about the pins, but it still looks ok under a magnifier.
I cannot help but surmise that as I have a "Short" with it plugged in and an "Open" as soon as I un plug it, there is more going on than I suspect!
I will indeed replace the bulbs, as it would not surprise me to find that the bulbs are somehow in the diagnostics loop as a resistance.
The Rave may have a schematic of this I will see if this circuit is covered...
I believe these are the small 1.2 watt bulbs?
Cheers,
Bolt

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, that 'surgery' on the plug is most probably the cause of your short/open problem. Replacement 'special' plugs are not widely available but if necessary the wires can be permanently soldered together [although bear in mind you would then lose the 'safety (shorting) prong' aspect of these plugs].

The bulbs are not exactly in the diagnostics loop as a 'resistance' but their absence will indeed trigger a fault, as you know ! They are standard 1.2 W dash lights, yes.

RAVE does not have detailed wiring/loom details for the (earlier) SRS circuits however but there are some reasonable schematics for the later ones in ETM/N1: One little 'quirk' to watch out for though is that the SRS looms have resistances strategically placed within the loom itself for continuity tests by the SRS DCU. That, coupled with the self-shorting airbag plugs, makes it difficult to check continuity on an (isolated) loom !

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Thanks for that!
I was very suspicious of the plug when I saw it. some shade tree mechanic has had his hands in several places.....
I will indeed solder a pair of wires to the pins, as I now have an extra airbag to play with.
I have lots of aerospace grade plugs to place in line.
Cheers,
Bolt
I will let you know how it comes out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts