RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , with the thought that this is not going to be easy , I have to replace my Airtank. Along with the running board / step this is my first hurdle (L322 : ‘04 plate Td6)
Given that the first step bolt has sheared and the perpendicular bracket support bolts have corroded to 9.5 mm and not much help with the shoulder of the bolt left , am I better to grind the remainder off and put a rivnut replacement in and renew fixings. Only doing this to drop tank down .

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but if the hardware is gone on the step just cut the head of the bolt off and smack the rest of it out, then refit with new hardware. As for the air tank that is just behind a panel under the car and is super easy to access.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks , yes it’s inevitable that this is my next move , the bolts up beside the tank are the worst as impossible to reach with a grinder, looks like a decent chisel !

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Many thanks , yes it’s inevitable that this is my next move , the bolts up beside the tank are the worst as impossible to reach with a grinder, looks like a decent chisel !
If you haven't tried PB blast give that a whirl. It's surprising how much rust that stuff will disintegrate.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
There’s plenty of sockets out there that will remove corroded or rounded bolts with easy, a chisel sounds like you might cause more damage to other parts, see if anyone’s got a long slim belt sander/ power file,, look at eBay item 382038518603 to get an idea about what I mean, will make easy work of it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There are die grinders with small cutoff wheels that can reach pretty much any bolt you can get a socket onto. Or you can punch the head and use a drill...since it sounds like you will have to drill the bolt stub out at some point anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone venturing into changing this Air tank for this model age , must be prepared for massive restoration to the mounting points. Sort from removing the step , this took longer than I expected .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dear, for a few dollars more! What can I afford ?
This had been a nightmare this tank , who invented shouldered bolts with washer built in , they are are a nightmare, especially if they have lost some .5mm of head.
My next problem was installing the new tank along with the pump contraption, I got the pipe connection wrongly threaded which was into plastic and the contraption was mounted on three small rubber mounts , they were all re - glued but didn’t last due to the restainsts of fixing , however I surrounded it with tie wraps and reglued at the same time.
The steps are NOT going back on !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I used all sorts to access those bolts , I think I’ll look for more , biggest problem I ended up getting some metal into my eye! **** I’ll get it removed hopefully tomorrow!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Stuff the tank, get the metal out your eye , I know someone who lost an eye through a bit of metal in it.
Stuff the tank nearly , but its back on , .......and the steps , they are not going back on still two bolts to grind off opposite side from tank , eye sore , metal out and licking my wounds lol. Well not that lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts