RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Range Rover HSE just left dealer with $6k estimate to fix air suspension
I am about to order the conversion kit.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you are interested in fixing yourself, post details here and you will get expert advice. Its probably a leaky air spring that can be addressed for hundreds instead of thousands.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
35 Posts
I ordered all new air suspension parts online (Front, Rear and Compressor) and had a local mechanic install. Total was less than half your quote. The air suspension makes this truck. Try to keep if at all possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered all new air suspension parts online (Front, Rear and Compressor) and had a local mechanic install. Total was less than half your quote. The air suspension makes this truck. Try to keep if at all possible.
They also wanted to change 4 air bags and springs too
as the girl drove quite a while
with it collapsed.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,921 Posts
Also note you can buy all 4 new suspension shocks from Island 4x4 in england,
For your HSE you dont need the adaptive struts so these are quite a BIT LESS.
You dont need to mess with the rear bags, but I would replace the rear bilstien shocks about 280.00 each USD,
as well as adding a set of new struts from Delphi .
NOTE dont try to budget the suspension by getting the rebuilt struts with new bags they will usually fail in short order,
best to buy all new parts and be happy. dont mess with the compressor until after the new struts are installed
ship them here and put them on for usually less than half the cost of just a front set of new struts from the Dealer
I got a new set of the adaptive front struts for my 2010 FFRR SC dealr cost was 1600.00 each strut ,
my worldpac jobber cost 1200.00,
Island 4x4 was 349.00 pounds each,
these are the most expensive shocks you can get since they have the adaptive deal in it.
Total Shipping was 70.00 pounds,
and the duty cost assessed later by FEDEX was 30.00 USD.

all in just about 985.00 USD for two brand new front shox with bags. It took me about 2 hours to install them

·
Registered
959 Posts
They also wanted to change 4 air bags and springs too
as the girl drove quite a while
with it collapsed.
Note that the air bags are the springs. The numbers he is quoting you include air springs and shocks plus compressor. These are the wear items, not much else to replace but you could post the breakdown of dealer charges if you want to make sure all is included. Bottom line is that doing this job at a dealer costs way too much. You can still use OEM replacements for a fraction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good info ,but she is done with air suspension.Vehicle is a 2010 with 40k mi.over 19 yre dealer has cost a fortune in repairs,and maintenance a lot for air,now this $6k estimate.She wants springs.I was looking for anyone that has done the conversion to give their results.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
118 Posts
I think what the previous posters are trying to say is that you are overpaying by using a dealership. $6K is way too much to replace all four air springs + struts & compressor. If you source the parts your self (especially by ordering the struts from Island4x4 in the UK), you will spend about $1000-$1100 USD (parts only) to refresh all four corners and a new compressor. Or you will spend $1000 for the spring conversion from Arnott, but you will still need to buy new struts since yours are shot from driving around completely collapsed for an extended period of time. So you are gonna spend the same or more to convert to coils (parts only). It is is probably safe to assume the labor cost will be comparable between the air suspension refresh or the coil conversion.
So ultimately, I think you will spend less overhauling the air suspension via sourcing the parts yourself and utilizing a good independent mechanic. Your $6000 quote is inflated dealership pricing due to high labor costs and a HUGE premium for Genuine Land Rover parts.
You should be paying between $2500-$3500 parts + installation for either the air suspension refresh or the coils (with the coil conversion probably costing slightly more.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Some folks you can't help, seems to be very apparent here.
Not many will butcher a 2010 Full SIze by putting cheesy coils on them in here. This whole site was started to help owners maintain their rigs, not butcher them. So if you refuse to follow the sound advise you've received thus far, just bow out. Hell, getting new bags from ebay would be better than what you're contemplating.
Before you throw a hissy fit, let me ask you one question.
If your rig could be back on air for a few hundred dollars, if that, wouldn't you feel totally stupid for spending the money to put it on coils, which also lowers the resale a bunch?
If you can't afford to fix it right, just sell it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
531 Posts
In 2026 i will put a supercharged 5.7 tundra engine in my range rover if it needs a new heart. But the thing I’ll never swapp on range rover is the eas. Suspension is driving me crazy on cold days like -30/-40C but this is the best thing land rover ever made.

Don’t touch eas never

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don’t do a spring conversion. Keep the air suspension, it’s what makes Rovers so awesome!

IMHO, if you can’t either do the work yourself or find an independent that can fix it for you for less than the dealer, then sell the Rover and go buy a RAV4.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
15 Posts
Replacing the Air Suspension is relatively easy. You can get each for $450 or less ($450 is for the fronts, rears are less). As a comparison, Dealer charges $1500 each for the front.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
61 Posts
As others have said- why change to springs when for roughly US $800 you can get two front re manufactured air struts? I just did this projects and I would estimate it took me a total of 3 hours. I happen to use Arnott, but there are other options. I'm sure that there are many indy shops that could do this for you at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So if you are a 2010 you have the Variable Damping Strut with the little electrical connector coming out of the top? These are a lot more expensive. I just replaced my fronts with the Arnott designed front air strut. They make remain ones, but the arnott designed one doesn't actually use a variable strut. It has a CEL eliminator you plug into on the top of the strut, and then uses a traditional strut. They cost about $600 a piece (ouch), but if the airbag leaks or whatever, I can now replace it with a cheaper pre-2010 strut and keep the eliminator . The labor is very simple for a front suspension, youtube videos are easy to find. My wife helped me (her car :p) and we knocked it out in under 2 hours.

Your biggest saver will be getting some good tools and working on the suspension yourself, its actually a very simple design and no springs means no danger with compressing them :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts