RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am still trying to learn about these vehicles...I was hoping someone could clarify something...

I was told by someone that when I start to see the vehicle sag when parked, that I can save a lot of money by replacing the "Air Bags" is the word he used... which can be had for $300 or so on ebay (supposedly)

Which part is this exactly? is the Air Strut Bag? (# RKB500080) Or something else.

I can't afford another $5000 air suspension repair like I had around 80,000 miles.

Would I be better off just selling the vehicle, since I don't really know how to work on it, and it's very expensive to repair.... or can I find this part and have a shop install it.... and then the pump won't be working full time to keep the "bags" inflated...

Thanks for any advice / help

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi, I am still trying to learn about these vehicles...I was hoping someone could clarify something...

I was told by someone that when I start to see the vehicle sag when parked, that I can save a lot of money by replacing the "Air Bags" is the word he used... which can be had for $300 or so on ebay (supposedly)

Which part is this exactly? is the Air Strut Bag? (# RKB500080) Or something else.

I can't afford another $5000 air suspension repair like I had around 80,000 miles.

Would I be better off just selling the vehicle, since I don't really know how to work on it, and it's very expensive to repair.... or can I find this part and have a shop install it.... and then the pump won't be working full time to keep the "bags" inflated...

Thanks for any advice / help
Yes, you can replace only the air bag and not the strut. I have noticed no appreciable difference between new and old strut body unless it is actually leaking.

I wouldn’t go any “lower” than a trusted 3rd party; such as Arnott. Not my preference but about 1/3 the price of the stock Bilsteins (they will say BWI).

The Arnott have a very pretty stainless shell, which makes for a sharp look through the wheel well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
whomever told you that is WRONG. it's normal for EAS to let out some air when you're parked. that alone isn't indicative of the need to change out struts. in conjunction with other symptoms (air suspension warnings, EAS codes thrown, etc. which you can search on this forum) could. but not sag alone. depending on what you had done at 80k, $5000 could be appropriate but can't tell since you didn't provide any vehicle info.

if you're just going to pay someone to maintain the vehicle and already worried about cost, then longer term ownership might not be for you. i bought my 06 brand new and am sitting at 218k. it's my daily driver and i've wheeled the heck outta this thing. i've stayed on top of maintenance, but have definitely spent a good chunk of change for things i couldn't/wouldn't do. conversely on my D90, i got it knowing well that i had to commit to doing more of my own maintenance versus paying someone.

·
Registered
638 Posts
whomever told you that is WRONG. it's normal for EAS to let out some air when you're parked. that alone isn't indicative of the need to change out struts. in conjunction with other symptoms (air suspension warnings, EAS codes thrown, etc. which you can search on this forum) could. but not sag alone. depending on what you had done at 80k, $5000 could be appropriate but can't tell since you didn't provide any vehicle info.

if you're just going to pay someone to maintain the vehicle and already worried about cost, then longer term ownership might not be for you. i bought my 06 brand new and am sitting at 218k. it's my daily driver and i've wheeled the heck outta this thing. i've stayed on top of maintenance, but have definitely spent a good chunk of change for things i couldn't/wouldn't do. conversely on my D90, i got it knowing well that i had to commit to doing more of my own maintenance versus paying someone.
This can be doubly true if the load (passengers, cargo) are emptied out and it is enough for the Rover to re-level.

Not sure if OP is measuring at time of parking compared with next morning? Lots of possibilities. But if it is in fact a leak, and it is slow enough, it won’t even show up as an error if it’s not enough for the compressor to overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
768 Posts
How in the hell did you have a $5000 air suspension repair:(. Surely just the faulty component needed replacement.

Car settling does not normally mean replacing an airbag - how have you come to that conclusion - has it a leak? Have you checked for leaks? Settling suspension is more likely to be a connector leak or a valve block leak.

Find someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
468 Posts
I, personally, would not go for just an airbag. At 80-100k shock elements tend to go out, i e leak, besides, the procedure to replace airbag is not 30 min thing and in case of imperfection will leak. In my opinion, best way to with new strut, arnott would be first choice but not the only choice, LRDirect will have more options for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How in the hell did you have a $5000 air suspension repair:(. Surely just the faulty component needed replacement.

Car settling does not normally mean replacing an airbag - how have you come to that conclusion - has it a leak? Have you checked for leaks? Settling suspension is more likely to be a connector leak or a valve block leak.

Find someone who knows what they are doing.
it was so high because i put it off.... the pump was failing.... and the local shop bought the wrong pump, i never got the original core back, the air struts were leaking, etc , etc.... thats dealership repair costs of $5000 +

i am at around 146k now.... getting closer to that 80k replacement window and seeing a little sag and hearing the pump work more often when driving/parked.... seems to be mostly in the front right for now.. but these repairs are coming

Any opinions on the L320SRK-A Atlantic British non- lifted coils? I've got the 20" wheels and it looks silly when lifted up on the small tires, was thinking the normal ride height would handle better vs. their 2" lift version.

The guy who told me about the cheap airbag replacement said not to get those... destroys the ride... possibly the resale value too.... but seems like all the reviews are positive... and i would prefer to keep the rover... and just not have to deal with the expensive suspension costs

Thanks again for all of the comments/help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts