RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2008 RR HSE, 110,000 miles. Have had very few issues with the truck.

In the past 1-2 years, I've noticed that if the truck sits for a long time (about 5 days), the front end lowers more than normal. When I start it up, there is no fault and it immediately levels to the proper height. I've only noticed this happen maybe twice in two years, but that's because I rarely leave it more than five days probably.

However, with the cold weather here on the East Coast this month, the situation has changed.

I came outside when it was 15 degrees overnight, and it was almost completely down on the front end (more than usual). It did this one night outside when it was 15, and then another night when it was 5 degrees.

Both times, when I start the car up, it immediately levels properly and there are no errors on the dash. When I leave the car outside stores, it stays at the proper height.

When I left my truck in the garage, where its probably 30-40 degrees, it did not lower.

Thoughts? I've read that this can happen in cold weather with the air suspension.

I just want to see what everyone thinks -- ie, if this is normal, or if I need to get the compressor or bags checked out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I've read some other threads on this, but everyone else gets a fault on their dash for the suspension. Mine has never shown an error.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Bags are obviously leaking, I had this with my 2005 until I replaced both front bags, and now in -10F weather it doesn't drop a centimetre.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bags are obviously leaking, I had this with my 2005 until I replaced both front bags, and now in -10F weather it doesn't drop a centimetre.
How long can I wait on replacing the bags (in terms of I guess putting too much stress on the compressor)? Should I wait until I notice the problem more often? As you can see from my post, it rarely happens thus far.

I'm not going to replace them myself, so I'll get bilked for it. I see the part is around $500 new. Its common to just replace both front struts/bags and leave the rears? I mean is it common for the front ones to go first? It seems that everyone typically complains about the fronts going first. '

Anyway, any advice is appreciated so when I go to a shop I can have some knowledge. Has anyone seen how much the dealer charges for replacing both fronts? I have a shop that is usually 30% less than dealer so that will give me an idea. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
111 Posts
I think fronts are common to go first. Replace them now as a pair. Can kill your compressor by over stressing it, or fail completely if it gets even colder or bigger tear. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
YOU are probably OK, keep an ear on the compressor to hear if it is working "overtime". Likelihood of both bags springing leak at the same time is very small. hade same thing happen to me last year with temp. dropping to -15C over night. that was first and only time I hade that happen.

Enjoy your beautiful car.:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue on my 2008 only this past week when the temps dropped to -5 or -10 in Boston overnight. The ideal gas law is something Patriots fans are now well versed on. This is the only time on my 3 years of ownership it’s been this cold and the only time this has happened. I wouldn’t stress unless it starts happening when it’s like 30 out.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,784 Posts
Folks, every year we go through this on every model. Rubber looses flexibility when cold and leaks that are there present themselves. The harder tiff rubber can not close around the wear cracks as well. ORings also shrink and can give you more leaks. The compressor does indeed have to work more to keep the tank full since it is keeping up with existing leaks.

So what does Patriots fans being full of hot air have to do with this? :twisted:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
865 Posts
If you know it's leaking...then you are already overworking the compressor. You won't get a code until the compressor can no longer keep up with the leak, and by then the compressor is usually on it's death rattle.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
the long and short of it is unless you have a gross leak or the system will not hold pressure at any temperature and only lowers with very cold temps,
this could almost be called a normal trait of the system.

You also have to understand the front suspension bags have seals on the strut body so since the body moves over every bump there is a lot of action going on.
Best thing to do on refitting new parts use DC111 on the O ring rubbers this will keep them soft and reduce future leaks

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,134 Posts
It's been in the negative single digits to a high of about 15F over the past week here outside Boston and my 06 has been sitting on or almost on the bump stops on all 4 corners if I don't run the truck at least every other day. Has never dropped more than maybe a half inch on one corner or another before no matter how long I leave it under higher temperatures, and it does raise back up about 2 or 3 minutes after I start it by itself (or right away if I move the height adjustment switch). Seems to wait for the truck to heat up a bit before raising on its own. Compressor never runs more than 30 seconds, so the system is tight. Its just a temperature thing combined with somewhat older but normally non leaking components.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I happened to be by the dealer today so I was just talking to my guy there (he's good, although I rarely ever go to the dealer for any service). He echoed all your sentiment as well.

He said not a big deal. He said leave the car on the highest setting overnight, and see how much it drops. Once it starts dropping more, he said then you can go ahead and replace the front air struts. He said the rear struts are rarely ever replaced and last a lifetime, but the fronts can go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been in the negative single digits to a high of about 15F over the past week here outside Boston and my 06 has been sitting on or almost on the bump stops on all 4 corners if I don't run the truck at least every other day. Has never dropped more than maybe a half inch on one corner or another before no matter how long I leave it under higher temperatures, and it does raise back up about 2 or 3 minutes after I start it by itself (or right away if I move the height adjustment switch). Seems to wait for the truck to heat up a bit before raising on its own. Compressor never runs more than 30 seconds, so the system is tight. Its just a temperature thing combined with somewhat older but normally non leaking components.

Might be helpful to know, but I asked the dealer for a price quote (I have 2008 RR full size), and I don't remember exactly but it was like $2200-$2600 for full replacement of the front two air struts. So a private shop would probably do it for closer to $1800. The parts I think are like $1200. I'm just guesstimating all this so I'm sure a mod will know more specifics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.island-4x4.co.uk <-- buy them here for literally 1/4 of the price from the dealership even with shipping costs. ( these are OEM Brand New parts not some refurbished ones), and any indy should only charge you for 2 hours, 1 per corner of labor to install.
Thanks for the details on labor. And the link. Also, do they have to install new sensors? I'm just wondering exactly how many parts are involved so I can negotiate them down.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
no new sensors need to be installed,

the linkage to the sensor is not touched.

UNLESS the mechanic moves the LCA more than it should move and changes the arm by bending it

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for the details on labor. And the link. Also, do they have to install new sensors? I'm just wondering exactly how many parts are involved so I can negotiate them down.
All you need are the struts and that is it ( assuming it's just a bag leaking). All that should be done is taking out the old ones and put it the new ones and you should be good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts