RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 4.6 HSE which currently has the engine in bits.

Is it possible to run the air suspension without the engine running? From reading the guides on the main site here I thought it would be but I can't get it to do anything!

I've got an EAS Unlock Cable and the Software but when I try and connect it just shows PP, which it also shows if I don't plug it in at all! I've checked the OBDII connections by probing the wires behind and the connection is perfect. The cable is also correctly wired.

So I tried connecting pins 1 and 8 of the EAS ECU connector (C117) but nothing happens, I've tried it with the ignition on and with the ignition off. Should that work?

I've also checked the EAS fuse under the bonnet and that is fine.

Where should I go next? I'd heard you could remove a relay in the main fusebox and jump two connections there which should operate the pump.

Obviously something could have been disturbed whilst the head was being removed (I didn't remove it)

I'm starting on the engine at the weekend and was just trying to work out if there were any problems with the air suspension.

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right I found some info on jumping the relay by watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQAt7fdPMMo

That worked perfectly and the pump started running, so any ideas why the EAS Unlock doesn't work and why the connecting pins 1 and 8 on the ECU connector doesn't work?

One thing to note though is that on the video the bloke mentions connecting pins 3 and 5 together, my relay (which is black not yellow) doesn't have 3 or 5, it has 30, 85, 86, 87 - is that correct? Looking at the two yellow ones adjacent on mine they also have 30,85,86,87.

·
Registered
922 Posts
... EAS is " initmately" linked to the BECM ...BECM is very economical in handing out instructions... it knows engine is in bits :shock: :lol: so won't talk to EAS until engine well again... ...what's the point ...not going anywhere :p 8-0= :lol:

·
Registered
922 Posts
are you serious? Is there any way to get round this?
Regretfully, am serious... As best I am aware there's no way to get around this for your purposes. You can use the EAS Unlock with the ignition on but (a fully serviceable) engine not actually running. I've not tried to play with it with ignition on but engine unserviceable... am presuming that the BECM detects that not all systems are functioning and so does not/cannot talk to the EAS properly because certain critical input engine data is missing.

M.A.R.S. is simply a total mechanical bypass of the EAS whereby you connect the airbags directly to Schrader valves and pump them up individually. It's cheap and effective to get you home in an emergency... it does not provide an electronic "work around" to enable you to use the EAS unlock s/w and clear faults etc

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jumper wires should work regardless of what the BECM is doing and the engine off. I have pumped mine up way more than I would like with the truck off.

·
Registered
922 Posts
....and was just trying to work out if there were any problems with the air suspension.
ah hmmm :think: I suspect this thread has either gone a little off track or I may be missing something here

I interpreted your post as indicating that you were /are attempting to use the EAS Unlock s/w to check for any faults which "might" be in the system while waiting for the weekend to get the motor going again? The answer to that is "No"..I use both the laptop and PDA versions of EASUnlock . If you are simply seeking a way to run the compressor etc or pump up the airbags with things "as is" then you can do that....but not with the EAS Unlock s/w with the engine in its current state

To get a result using the EAS Unlock s/w you need a motor which checks out as OK according to the BECM first, it does not have to be actually turning over...the EAS Unlock will then read stored faults from the EAS ECU ...if there are any, and measure heights etc with just the ignition "On"

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sotal. I am glad you mentioned the numbers you have on your eas relay since we have the same on ours and when testing things I did not want to jump the wrong pins either. If anyone can confirm the polarity of the above #'s and how to jump them in a pinch it would be valuable knowledge. Or please direct me to where I might look if it is out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I had my motor out, I occasionally used the EAS to lift the car. I would carefully plug the Engine ECU back in, ensuring that any love ends were taped. Then I turned the ignition on and waallaaa I could access all the Ecu's. Mind you I had a Faultmate on order at this stage, so I wasn't too concerned about creating any hard faults.

Stu

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoges said:
....and was just trying to work out if there were any problems with the air suspension.
ah hmmm :think: I suspect this thread has either gone a little off track or I may be missing something here

I interpreted your post as indicating that you were /are attempting to use the EAS Unlock s/w to check for any faults which "might" be in the system while waiting for the weekend to get the motor going again? The answer to that is "No"..I use both the laptop and PDA versions of EASUnlock . If you are simply seeking a way to run the compressor etc or pump up the airbags with things "as is" then you can do that....but not with the EAS Unlock s/w with the engine in its current state

To get a result using the EAS Unlock s/w you need a motor which checks out as OK according to the BECM first, it does not have to be actually turning over...the EAS Unlock will then read stored faults from the EAS ECU ...if there are any, and measure heights etc with just the ignition "On"

OK so does anyone know what they BECM needs to see to check that the engine is OK?

To clarify a little, I'd got the EAS Unlock Cable in the hope it would be an easy way to operate the Air suspension to lift the vehicle and check for leaks, but have had no luck with it.

I don't Need to use the EAS unlock software I'm happy to use jumper wires to do this and will make a set of the pig tails to test, but I don't think they'll work due to the fact that the basic jumper wire test ( 1 - 8 ) didn't do anything.

I just want to try and locate any faulty parts, it'll probably take me longer than the weekend to sort the engine. It was bought as spares/repair and I'm trying to make sure it is economical to repair

@diff - If you look at the video on youtube in my second post you can see which sockets to put the jumper wire in, it doesn't correspond to the numbers which he says but it works, when you've pulled the relay out it's the socket closest to the windscreen and the socket closest to the bumper.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried Pigtails - no go there though.

There is no voltage at pin1, I got round this by running a wire from the cig lighter to give me a 12v feed, connecting this to pin 8 makes the compressor run. Connecting it to any others like pin 26 or pin 11 doesn't do anything.

I suspect that battery voltage may be a problem. I had charged two spare batteries up ready. I connected the first battery up and ran the compressor for 5 minutes or so. Battery voltage was about 12.5v before connecting it up, as soon as it's connected (drivers door open - interior light on etc) the voltage drops to 11.9v and starts to drop. Once I had ran the compressor for 5 mins, I swapped the battery for the fully charged one (similar voltage readings) and tried the other pins but couldn't get anything - no clicks etc.

I think it's down to the voltage going to low - which is probably part of the reason it's only designed to work with the engine running!

It may just have to wait! All parts ordered for the engine, should be here by tomorrow - so providing everything checks out OK I may get further than planned this weekend.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I use Dennis's "Rovair" device. It gives you total manual control over the EAS with the engine off.
You unplug the EAS ECU and plug in the device. It also needs a jumper lead across the EAS relay.
You then have full control over the pump and all the individual airbox solenoid valves.
Really useful piece of kit. I am surprised he didn't mention it. I bought mine as a kit.

Dave
:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't use another running vehicle to put jump leads across to provide more power so was trying to think of an alternative.

I have a small petrol generator which we use for charging the caravan battery when we're on a site without electric. We use a 12v output from the generator which connects to the battery via crocodile clips. Do you think this would give enough extra to run things like the suspension?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
sotal said:
I can't use another running vehicle to put jump leads across to provide more power so was trying to think of an alternative.

I have a small petrol generator which we use for charging the caravan battery when we're on a site without electric. We use a 12v output from the generator which connects to the battery via crocodile clips. Do you think this would give enough extra to run things like the suspension?
plenty...

I didn't mention my kit because i'm out of stock (again....) can't keep up with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts