RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at wits end, my 2004 range rovers front end dropped and I got the classic error messages associated with the failed suspension. I purchased the RSW Diagnostic tools to read and clear faults. After reading the fault everything pointed to a failed right airbag which I replaced but this did not solve my problem. I recheck all my air lines and found a couple that were not tight. So after tightening and turning the vehicle on it raised as normal but soon dropped again. Another failed airbag. I have decided to instead of replacing the whole assembly to only replace the bag. I have removed the bag from the strut but noticed that the struts gas piston moves freely. Is this normal or is the strut piston assembly defective and needs to be replaced?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Diagnostic gear can not tell if you have a leak. Diagnostic gear can only read stored codes or provide live feedback for items that have a sensor. Only visual inspection with soapy water can show a leak or, of course, if you can hear the air escaping. Further you must check for leaks at each height setting as bags begin to leak only at the height the rig travels in the most.

As far bag only replacements they are a pain in the back side to get to seal properly and really are only good for low mileage struts. As you have found you most likely have a failed strut if there is no resistance. Did you notice that corner seaming a little floaty or weak? As you have a new strut assembly on the right side why not just add a new strut on the left so you will be issue free for another 100K miles or so.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I replaced one air spring within the last year. It was an arnott replacement spring. The shock action appeared to be 50/50. In other words the compression force seemed to equal the extension force. Since they are gas shocks there would only be a minor amt of fluid at the seal/if any. And yes there is resistance as rr has mentioned, not a crazy amount but there. The arnott emplacement seemed very well made and was more expensive than an arnott rebuilt which i did not prefer to use. If you use the Arnott it at least should have some cushioning affect but may be better to order new from Island 4x4. O check posts by ddilinger iirc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts