RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i did a search and didnt find alot, anyways, while driving on the highway on a long road trip, i noticed the front end raise up when we were at a light and then on the interstate i noticed the front passenger side dropped and began pulling to the right side, then the inactive light showed up. We checked the bag and it is flat and folded, now im not sure if the bag has a leak or if the sensor is bad, i think the truck is on the bump-stops but am not sure, how can i find out for sure? will i hurt anything driving it this way? i need to take it to a shop but im wondering if i can reset the suspension just to see whats going on, let me know what you guys think...thanks alot!!

8-|=

·
Registered
952 Posts
sounds like you have a bad bag. You could always try shutting it down for a while and restarting it to see if the bag reinflates. If not-- dealer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air suspension inactive light is flashing, any way to reset it other than taking it to the dealer?

Can anyone else answer some of the questions i posted?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A similar thing happened to me last week.

Hole in the air bag, and needs a replacement. £400.00 UK pounds plus fitting. My mechanic mentioned that the old bag and strut were way past their sell by date, so prepare to replace the other side very soon.

2004 Vogue TD6

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think your questions have been answered. This is a dealer issue. Take it in. It won't hurt the vehicle to drive it on the stops. Keep it less than highway speeds.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah, there is one other way to avoid going to the dealer.

Buy a bag for the suspension, install it yourself, buy all the computers that the Rover needs to reset the system, and there you go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roverrad95 said:

Buy a bag for the suspension, install it yourself, buy all the computers that the Rover needs to reset the system, and there you go.

Can the bag only be replaced and not the whole strut? How much?? Where?? Also what is that bag made out of ? Alligator skin?? 8-0=

·
Registered
867 Posts
You need to replace the strut as well. Good thing about that is that they are packaged together. That's about $900. But then you have to spend $120 (or whatever your dealer's hourly wage) resetting the software because your Rover has sensors that require recalibration once the new bag is put in.

No they aren't made out of alligator skin.

Here's a link: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RNB000750.cfm

You're welcome.

·
Registered
293 Posts
actually you can replace just the bag and re-use the strut, check out arnott industries they sell just the bag if you want just that part.... however, if your mileage is upwards of 80k - 100k and your on the original strut you should probably replace it with new, but then you should be replacing both sides... either way youll need a reset for the inactive display...

·
Registered
867 Posts
gw2doc

I both agree and disagree with you.

The strut SHOULD be replaced. Not knowing how fast/far he travelled on the busted air bag, he could have done some real damage to the strut. In fact, most likely damaged the strut. And on these things, it needs to be attended to.

While you in theory can replace only one strut, and then later on replace the other, it would be a better idea to replace both at the same time. Hence why most people end up replacing both air bags and struts at the same time, or at least people who know how to deal with these cars.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yah i agree. personally i would NEVER replace just one side, thats like replacing brakes and rotors on just one side, just not smart. I was just throwing it out there, because im sure there is a RR owner out there somewhere who was riding on brand new bags and one might have gone out, in that instance im not sure i would replace both had they both already just been done.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't know if I would say it is as big a safety issue as doing the same thing with brakes would be but it could cause odd handling miscues at high speed, not sure to what degree the DSC can compensate for that, but I think just random road conditions are probably enough to cause the same sorts of miscues (unless the other strut is damaged and not working right at all) so it may be hard to isolate something and say "ah ha! should have changed both struts".

That said, I've never just changed just one, I usually have opted to do all four wheels and not have to worry again for a long time. Haven't had the pleasure of performing this service on my RR yet... I may go with pairs since they do cost a bit more than conventional shocks/struts.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Roverrad95 said:

Huh. DIY is not yet in the MkIII forum? And LR dealer??

The older MKIII's are now 8 years old (in Europe) and prices have come down to the low teens in €'s for an ok vehicle. A L&R strut change at the dealer is upwards of €2500. It simply does not make sense to spend 1/6th of the vehicles value on items such as this - especially when there are very viable alternatives.

Unless you've done some seriously long, seriously hard driving, there is little chance you've damaged the strut itself and, while it may make sense to replace the strut as a unit with enough miles on the vehicle as gw2doc posted above to avoid 'going in' twice, Arnott charges $329 for a rebuilt strut - that's $500 less than AB. (YOU're welcome, rad :p ). I wouldn't change the shocks on any vehicle when it's not necessary, that goes for the RR too (I would replace both sides at once as also stated above, though).

As for 'buy all the computers that the Rover needs to reset the system', that's just silly. There are enough alternatives - just see the diagnostic forum here on this board. With the money you've saved on the struts, you can easily purchase one of these

from board member Storey Wilson at http://www.rswsolutions.com/ and still have enough left over for an all-frills romantic weekend with the woman. Or even buy the complete Blackbox Solutions setup for your vehicle and have enough left over for beer for yourself and your buddies (so you can change all sorts of vehicle settings while drunk!).

DIY or find an indy to replace the airbags. Dealer - :snooty:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with previous posters the MKIII is old enough now where there so many alternatives available no reason to be going to the dealer for alot of things now. Arnott Industries sales a rebuilt strut for $400 with a $100 core charge why bother with just replacing the bag when the entire assmebly is only $50 more makes more sense too just do the whole thing..First problem solved.

I have personally replaced one side at a time due to not having the money to do both at the same time and experienced no problem at all. Once I got the money within a month or two I replaced the other side just to avoid the inconvenience later. So its up to you.

Lastly resetting the inactive code can be done buy purchasing the reset device from RSW solutions pictured above that is if your VIN number is under a certain number described on the site if not you stuck with the dealer for now. Although the RSW solution is more expensive then the dealer reset its a lifelong investment because you will need it again as long as you have a range rover with air suspension. Also search the forum again because this issue has been beat into the ground quite thoroughly I myself have written up a way to change the strut yourself with ordinary tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts