Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air suspension inactive, replaced air strut, shop say's it canno calibrate it

2 months ago my left front air strut went out so I took it to a shop for it to be replaced, I had to come back a couple of times(3) because my air suspension height wasn't right it was either too high or too low. last week my front right air strut went out so I decided to go to a different shop with more experience then the previous one(it was an hour and a half away), they replaced my air strut but said they couldn't calibrate my suspension because the other shop had messed something up and their computer wouldn't let them calibrate it so the truck leans just a bit to the right when driving and the air suspension inactive is message is on , the height knob light is off so I cannot use it. the shops says probably need a new ecu for the air suspension...I just spend $1000 on the air strut replacement and I do not want to spend another $1000 on the ecu....could it be anything else? what can I do.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: Air suspension inactive, replaced air strut, shop say's it canno calibrate it

Have you read the faults? What are they? I believe you cannot perform a calibration until the EAS system runs fault free (though not 100% sure on that because I've never tried to begin a calibration while I had a fault).

You will probably need to resolve whatever is wrong before it can be calibrated, it is unlikely that the other shop "messed up the computer" unless they somehow fried it (have you checked all the fuses?). Even if they screwed up a calibration and it has the wrong settings, it can be updated. Are you sure that none of your height sensors have been damaged or bent? That could cause the suspension to be uneven since the computer wouldn't know about the physical issue.

Outside of flood damage, etc, failure of the EAS ECU is rare, but not unheard of.

I believe you'll want to check fuse 57 in the fuse box. If the fuse is good, then make sure the ECU is getting power, and check all connectors/contacts...

Also, just noticed I was assuming you had an 03-05 model, but you didn't say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Air suspension inactive, replaced air strut, shop say's it canno calibrate it

yes im sorry I didn't say it it an 05 range rover with 100,000 miles..no I haven't checked the codes, from my understanding my front airbag was deflated so that was the problem, it needed a new airbag. I will look for the fuse 57 and go to a shop to check my sensors, is there anyway I can check the sensors myself. do you know any reputable shops in Atlanta?,

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts

Why not buy an Allcoms yourself, and save the hassle of dealing with obviously clueless shops?
Why not do the strut yourself? The rig is @9yrs old, so you need to either learn how to fix these simple things yourself, or get a really good paying job to keep paying out for minor repairs. In which case, try to get a newer one that wont require the work yours will.
Reman strut from Arnott is $299. New OEM spec ones are about the same cost, from Island 4x4
Book labor time is 1.6hrs per side.
Basically, you jsut spent a grand, when it could have been done yourself for way under $400, and that book time could double for your time, but still saved you over $600. So even if it took you 3hrs, that is a saving of $200 per hour (not including drive time etc).

Martin

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

yes im sorry I didn't say it it an 05 range rover with 100,000 miles..no I haven't checked the codes, from my understanding my front airbag was deflated so that was the problem, it needed a new airbag. I will look for the fuse 57 and go to a shop to check my sensors, is there anyway I can check the sensors myself. do you know any reputable shops in Atlanta?,
At least from what you've told us, it is unclear what the problem is. If your truck has 100k miles and original struts you'll almost certainly need new ones soon anyway even if they aren't the issue... but it sounds like both struts have already been replaced and your shop seems to be saying that the problem is not the strut, it is the EAS computer....

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but you'll probably need to see the diagnostics yourself before you'll get to the bottom of it. The height sensors are easy to see under the vehicle. If they were bent or damaged when the struts were installed you would be able to see that most likely....

Unfortunately, not enough info to go on here. As martin suggested, you might want to take a more pro-active approach and try to brush up on your DIY skills or else I fear this could end up costing a LOT more because the shop does not appear to know what they are talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts