RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
First with INPA, then with All-comms. All-comms shows the orientation of the sensor, and tracks it's movement via a graph so you can check for deadspots and verify full range in both directions. Mine showed it was off center approximately 60 degrees causing EAS faults.
Ok, thanks for that info. Just to get it right, you are using AllComms with the engine running and turning the wheel lock to lock?

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I hooked up Allcomms and all I got was a solid blue screen across, I think my SAS is shot.
Should see red dots tracking the location of the SAS once you start to monitor it. You saw nothing at all? Even when mine was shot, they were just erratic. Changing that SAS is not fun. I do not envy you if that's the issue.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
Nothing at all, just blue everywhere!!! I have taken the column out before, so changing the SAS its somewhat easier. My biggest complaint is the $250.00 for the Sensor!!!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
When mine went I bought a good used BMW sensor. (I got mine from an E46 for 40 bucks shipped). I took it apart, and used the brushes from the E46 with the Range Rover electronics. That meant I didn't have to program the new one :)

If you get a new one it must be initialized with IDS to work. If that's the route you're taking, just buy a new BMW unit. Here's one on ebay, but you can find them cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Stability-Control-Steering-Angle-Sensor-Genuine-Original-93632-/251360168255?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item3a863bc93f&vxp=mtr

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
Thank you for the heads-up on the sensor, I went ahead and bought it, Great Price!!!
The one I have on now came with the used steering column that I bought on Ebay. I'll just installed this new one and We'll see.
Thanks Again!!!!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
After I installed it, with Allcomm, I got a msg. like "...serial number does not match..." or "...Wrong serial num..." Something like that.
I think with the new updated version of Allcomms, you can code it to the veh.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I don't think you can (code the sensor with all-comms). Usually the brushes fail and you can swap the new (good used) brushes into your sensor.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
First with INPA, then with All-comms. All-comms shows the orientation of the sensor, and tracks it's movement via a graph so you can check for deadspots and verify full range in both directions. Mine showed it was off center approximately 60 degrees causing EAS faults.
Hi there, I finally got the new SAS, I installed it today with no real problems. Now I'm able to see the movement using All-comms. I have one question. Are the numbers on the left, in the middle, are they supposed to be 1 when the steering wheel is centered? Mine is like -30120, when I bring the number to 1 by turning the steering wheel, its like 1/4 of a turn off center!

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Hi there, I finally got the new SAS, I installed it today with no real problems. Now I'm able to see the movement using All-comms. I have one question. Are the numbers on the left, in the middle, are they supposed to be 1 when the steering wheel is centered? Mine is like -30120, when I bring the number to 1 by turning the steering wheel, its like 1/4 of a turn off center!
Yep. It should be near 0. I think mine is 161 right now, or about 2 degrees off.

The sensor can only go on one way, but the indexing ring that locks into the sensor can be moved independently. I ended up removing/re-installing that **** sensor several times before I got it right. That's why a new one is preferred, it doesn't HAVE to go on the exact way, when it's coded that sets the limits :p

Such a nightmare.

Although, I guess now I'd try the CODE button. That seems like it'll reset the limits and relearn the sensor position. Not sure if it works on used sensors, but give it a shot!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
Well, I tried coding it but the %%$#@ lights are still on and when reading, using All-comms, the ABS codes I get a "SAS initialization". I just might have to take it to a dealer to get it initialized! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the All-comms, I can't find where I can track this movement via graph, what option is that under on All-comms. I'm having this same issue, I had the whole column out fixing the dreaded key won't start issue, was a dirty soleniod switch, fixed the problem.. My steering wheel is straight when my wheels are straight, I do get a steering angle error, I can reset all the lights and error codes, but drive for a few minutes they all return. I still have to try the turn wheel full left and full right with all comms connected, just trying to get this error gone so I can sell this beast....

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
When you open All-comms use the last option on the drop down menu "Live data" , you'll see it there

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found 1 'tried & tested' solution.... 1 of many I think. Air Suspension/HDC Inactive, Brake and ABS lights on, suspension locked in central position (no motorway height setting)... Firstly may I say - this forum is great! Whenever logic lets me down I turn to this site for answers. There's lots of reasons discussed here as to why this set of warning lights etc appear - here's what I've personally discovered. I recently did some work on the front end and as a result the front wheel alignment (tracking) was left considerably 'off'.... so I got underneath the front end and twisted away at the adjustments until I had both wheels 'dead-square' pointing forward. I then realised that the steering wheel was at about the 2 O'clock (off centre) so I whipped off the steering wheel and re-centred it. Not realising the significance of this - the symptoms everyone is discussing on here appeared over the next few days. Turns out... the steering column sensor is sending info which does not match info from the wheel speed sensors /ABS sensors... so when the car is driving in a straight line / the wheels all report equal revolutions - however... the steering sensor is asking 'How can this be, as the car is turning a corner? Today I came back to this thread - thought carefully about recent work on the car - and went back to the tracking where (with a piece of paper and a pen) measured the amount of thread showing on each front side tracking arm.... one side was showing 10mm more thread than the other... the steering setup was 'really' off-centre! Using the simple 'paper & pen' method to measure each side, I made very even and precise adjustments 'Left wheel in / Right wheel out' respectively until the same amount of thread was showing on each side... jumped in car... drove down the road... onto motorway... 15miles later and ALL WARNING LIGHTS have disappeared & have not returned. All that remains is to remove steering wheel again and re-centre again (I'll do it in the morning). Before anyone splashes out any new parts for their RR I strongly suggest your think about recent work to the front end... "has the tracking been touched recently by anyone?" If so - this may be the cause of all these alarming warning lights / error codes and so on... I recognise what an idiot I was for tampering with the steering wheel alignment as part of setting the tracking... but I also congratulate myself for working out what an idiot I've been and rectifying my errors
i was wondering some more info on the method u use to fix it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same message re HDC inactive air suspension not working as well as a load of orange lights illuminated on the dash.
Auto logic computer reported various faults including "Front Left wheel speed sensor plausibility"

On removing the wheel I found the ABS wire rubbing the disk creating an intermittent earth as the cable insulation was worn through. Checked the wire not cut and then taped over the visible wire and held the sensor cable in place with zip ties.

This fault had been appearing intermittently and disappeared if the vehicle was switched off and the key removed.

Will advise on if this fixes this issue.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Could this impact the functionality of the abs brakes? I had the air suspension switched on out for springs & since am experiencing abs faults & actual abs malfunctions a few times. Each time is when I've just started truck, am pulling out of gravel drive while turning. Prior to suspension replacement there were no abs issues. It's very scary when the brake pedal locks and luckily it's only occurred at very low speeds. The mechanic that did the conversion is worthless or just dodging responsibility. New mechanic says all sensors are alerting when scanned. Thought I would ask on her prior to being scammed by another matcha IC. I hope I can resolve. I love my old RR. 1997 HSe (60,000 m)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
19 Participants
lr4tq
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing