RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about this before, after a few minutes of driving these faults come up, suspension locks... After shutting the range off and re-starting the codes are wiped until you drive for a few minutes and it happens again. I can't access highway mode because of this, plus when it does happen, the suspension drops a little, after shut down the range auto levels.

I suspected an ABS sensor since it happens randomly within a few minutes of driving, today I tried to pull my drivers side sensor and the thing is seized in the hub horribly. I was able to pull it out maybe 1/16th of an inch and the sensor looks melted/mangled...

This could possibly be the issue I suppose... Anyone else swap these sensors? It should just pop right out correct?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Exactly the same just happened to mine today... can these codes be cleared with a fault reader?

Had the car three days.. no sound... engine check light came on day after (decided to clear itself).. I should have stuck with VW

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dsd1976 said:
Exactly the same just happened to mine today... can these codes be cleared with a fault reader?

Had the car three days.. no sound... engine check light came on day after (decided to clear itself).. I should have stuck with VW

You can clear the code, issue is if it's something outside the realm of a, "hiccup," it will continue to throw the codes.

If the codes are related to the air suspension a standard OBD2 reader won't help at all, if the problem originates from a speed sensor or something like that, some code readers can pull ABS data which will allow you to ID the problem then repair it.

What code is your service engine soon throwing? Mine did that this morning, code p0443 (evap purge valve) I just did a water pump a few weeks ago and must have dislodged the sensor because it was unplugged.

You're new to range rover ownership? Welcome to the nightmare :dance:

·
Registered
67 Posts
got a code reader today.. no engine management light on and no codes stored. Still have the HDC/Air suspension and the abs/brake lights showing.. resetting by taking of battery didnt work

yep new to range rover... had it a week and its already falling to pieces! I've no sound either.. order a AMP, MK IV Nav computer, and Radio module hope that gets it working.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Brads1

You should always detail your model , model year , mileage and so on , as some issues are known per model year .....

did you reset by turn_ing your weel right and left to the max ?
did you check that your alternator works properly .
there are alredy dozens of post about that .

jaybear .

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dsd1976 said:
got a code reader today.. no engine management light on and no codes stored. Still have the HDC/Air suspension and the abs/brake lights showing.. resetting by taking of battery didnt work

yep new to range rover... had it a week and its already falling to pieces! I've no sound either.. order a AMP, MK IV Nav computer, and Radio module hope that gets it working.

Have you turned your wheel from left lock to right lock? That resets the steering angle sensor and should reset those lights after batter removal.

jaybear said:
Brads1

You should always detail your model , model year , mileage and so on , as some issues are known per model year .....

did you reset by turn_ing your weel right and left to the max ?
did you check that your alternator works properly .
there are alredy dozens of post about that .

jaybear .
2004 hse

Yeah everything is reset, battery is new, alternator works, abs sensors are all new, new brake switch... IDK

something is fouled up deep inside the truck, I had codes pulled via test book, shop actually took it around with their test book and tested everything real time. The Yaw sensor is sending fouled up signals, so we think that's the issue. I'll report back as I know several people still have this issue with no remedy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
car was at an independant garage yesterday.. did the checks and it was the brake pedal switch that was faulty.. now just got to sort out the none working horn and sound system!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Finally fixed this fault.. went back to the independant (Stealer as he should be known).. the part hadnt arrived in on friday but he wanted $150 for just the switch but said leave the car with him till saturday and he'll make sure everything is working again, even though he wasnt going to get the parts until monday... went to BMW and got the part for an X5 for $40. Changed the switch and still had the same faults, bulbs were all working and having checked the fuse box found it was a blown brake light fuse, changed that and everything working again. Out of curiosity put the old switch in and everything was working fine.

My Horn stopped working having gone to this independant garage and found that the fuse was missing! replaced that and now my cars not lighting up like a xmas tree.. feels a bit odd now got used to all the orange lights on the dash!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dsd1976 said:
Finally fixed this fault.. went back to the independant (Stealer as he should be known).. the part hadnt arrived in on friday but he wanted $150 for just the switch but said leave the car with him till saturday and he'll make sure everything is working again, even though he wasnt going to get the parts until monday... went to BMW and got the part for an X5 for $40. Changed the switch and still had the same faults, bulbs were all working and having checked the fuse box found it was a blown brake light fuse, changed that and everything working again. Out of curiosity put the old switch in and everything was working fine.

My Horn stopped working having gone to this independant garage and found that the fuse was missing! replaced that and now my cars not lighting up like a xmas tree.. feels a bit odd now got used to all the orange lights on the dash!

Wait, let me see if I understand this correctly, you're having intermittent (air suspension, hcd inactive brake abs light)

And the remedy was a blown light fuse?

I too replaced the brake light switch $12usd, and that didn't fix the issue... I will check fuses right now though, but were your brake lights working before the switch/fuse replacement?

thanks for your continued input in this thread

·
Registered
67 Posts
My brake lights were working when I picked the car up.. After about a week was driving and got the hdc air and the rest of lights on.. Didn't think to check brake lights but noticed they weren't working after I took to the garage.. They told me it was switch that was faulty. Swapped the switch.. Fuse was blown. Replaced.. Took battery off for 20 mins , reconnected and did the left/right lock with steering... Light stayed in initially but when I put in drive and moved forward everything was off by time I got off drive.

Been two days now and everything back to normal.. Just waiting for radio unit hopefully that sorts out sound.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That did not remedy the problem either... I'm going to try to swap the yaw sensor, anyone know where to source that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the same issue this past week. All of the same symptoms (Air Suspension/HDC Inactive, Brake and ABS lights on). Put the battery on a 2A trickle charge for 12 hours (battery was a little low) after reading another similar thread. After I started the vehicle (2003 Range Rover HSE) the Air Suspension error was immediately gone, after I pulled out of the drive and drove away all of the other errors immediately cleared. Been fine for 4 days now. All of this happened during a cold period (-15 celcius).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've found 1 'tried & tested' solution.... 1 of many I think. Air Suspension/HDC Inactive, Brake and ABS lights on, suspension locked in central position (no motorway height setting)... Firstly may I say - this forum is great! Whenever logic lets me down I turn to this site for answers. There's lots of reasons discussed here as to why this set of warning lights etc appear - here's what I've personally discovered. I recently did some work on the front end and as a result the front wheel alignment (tracking) was left considerably 'off'.... so I got underneath the front end and twisted away at the adjustments until I had both wheels 'dead-square' pointing forward. I then realised that the steering wheel was at about the 2 O'clock (off centre) so I whipped off the steering wheel and re-centred it. Not realising the significance of this - the symptoms everyone is discussing on here appeared over the next few days. Turns out... the steering column sensor is sending info which does not match info from the wheel speed sensors /ABS sensors... so when the car is driving in a straight line / the wheels all report equal revolutions - however... the steering sensor is asking 'How can this be, as the car is turning a corner? Today I came back to this thread - thought carefully about recent work on the car - and went back to the tracking where (with a piece of paper and a pen) measured the amount of thread showing on each front side tracking arm.... one side was showing 10mm more thread than the other... the steering setup was 'really' off-centre! Using the simple 'paper & pen' method to measure each side, I made very even and precise adjustments 'Left wheel in / Right wheel out' respectively until the same amount of thread was showing on each side... jumped in car... drove down the road... onto motorway... 15miles later and ALL WARNING LIGHTS have disappeared & have not returned. All that remains is to remove steering wheel again and re-centre again (I'll do it in the morning). Before anyone splashes out any new parts for their RR I strongly suggest your think about recent work to the front end... "has the tracking been touched recently by anyone?" If so - this may be the cause of all these alarming warning lights / error codes and so on... I recognise what an idiot I was for tampering with the steering wheel alignment as part of setting the tracking... but I also congratulate myself for working out what an idiot I've been and rectifying my errors :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sh4dow, Spot on I had an identical problem, and luckily an ex Land Rover Mechanic now works with us, and explained just what you wrote. He made the adjustments, not only is my steering wheel straight, I also dont get these error codes firing off after driving for a few minutes.Half the battle is trying to understand what all these sensors in this vehicle actually do and look at, that way it gives some clues to the problems and solutions.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
The ability to view data from the steering angle sensor is invaluable. Saved my ass when I got my L322.

In the end, ended up having repaired every part of the EAS from struts and airlines to the steering angle sensor and the compressor. Glad I didn't give up and go coils. It really is a great system when it works.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
First with INPA, then with All-comms. All-comms shows the orientation of the sensor, and tracks it's movement via a graph so you can check for deadspots and verify full range in both directions. Mine showed it was off center approximately 60 degrees causing EAS faults.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It is interesting how this info is important to solve the issues. We had the rear hatch open overnite due to a large box we were transporting the next day. While unprotected it was under a roof overhang but it was a humid night. We drove off and the soon discovered issue was no cruise control. Then the dash said hdc inactive and air suspension inactive withe the triangle, question mark i think and abs lite on. Also the horn would not work. when we arrived at the farm my friend followed us to the changeover location for the box and advised that the brake lights were also on full time. Disconnected brake lite switch-no change-went to site and suggestion was 5A fuse #9 in glove compartment-btw very well identified on the cover panel. It was burned thru. I changed it and after driving off in short order all errors disappeared and all seems good again. Massive relief. We had lost a headlite the day before and i had changed the front fender side marker lights for clear ones a few days earlier so this had me wondering. Not sure why fuse blew but there seems to be a lot on it for 5amps. There is one referral to moisture causing this fuse to blow. I hope there is no other issue. So an fyi if anyone else has this happen. This

1 - 20 of 46 Posts