RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the extreme cold temps in the NE my 2004 RR HSE is giving me an inactive self leveling suspension message, is there any relationship to the cold?? I know that there are tons of stuff regarding this issue but can someone shed some light please?
Thanks

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Cold weather has always impacted EAS. Bladders get hard and lose flexibility opening up cracks. ORings and fittings shrink and lose the ability to seal air lines... Chances are you may have few very minor leaks that have been exposed and your compressor is working a bit more to keep the tank topped off. With night time temps in single digits up there it's really not too surprising.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
My '03 HSE is giving me the same problem this past week in Ontario, 200 miles north of you. No problems at all last week, this week at 0F and below AIR SUSP INACTIVE and HDC INACTIVE messages every time I start. When I turn the ignition off after a highway drive the truck lifts up to the normal ride height from highway height.

The first thing to do is recalibrate the steering angle sensor. Start the truck and immediately turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left and back to centre. The EAS will not adjust the suspension height in a turn when the outside air springs compress, it has to have a signal from the steering angle sensor to tell it the truck is travelling in a straight line. This has worked for me at around 0F but stopped working at -10F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYArMz-rdgE

How old is your battery? When the engine and battery are cold you're hit with a double whammy, the engine is much harder to turn over and the battery can not generate as much amperage. As a result the voltage drops during cranking to a point that is too low for the EAS computer and it takes itself offline.

Try a battery blanket to keep the battery warm, park the car in a heated garage or replace the battery. Or wait for spring.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The first winter (2014) I had my 2004 HSE was very cold and I had the same problem. I replaced the battery and it never happened again.

My fuel pump also went that winter. It was no fun replacing it outside in 10*F temps. I didn't want to do it in the heated garage for fear of burning down the house. For me, I was a goner either way, but for the wife and kids, I did it outside. :razz:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but since it's got cold here, UK, I get a "ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS FAULT" shortly after starting, and the suspension gets really stiff. If I stop, switch off and restart the fault clears, but sometimes comes on again if moving slowly over bumps. Can't hear any air leaking, over a pit.

Any ideas

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
I had my suspension lift whilst driving the other day, but just the once. It has been -7 Celsius around the house, around 20 Fahrenheit. We don't get it much colder here, so fingers crossed! Is there any additive one can add to the system to help the seals?

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Nothing should ever be added to any EAS system. It's just the nature of the beast unfortunately. Things just shrink when it get really cold.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go again, 5 degrees F airf suspension becomes inactive, this must be a design flaw, not everybody has a heated garage, this is absolutely ridiculous and really annoying!! Is there a permanent solution to this issue outside of spending $50K in a heated garage? Change to conventional suspension I guess...Is there a secret to by pass the computer that throes out the code?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
610 Posts
I have 4 months of real winter. Day times -20 night -30C

if you have a good eas system your only one enemy is pressure
if you have dry climate you will see less problems
second big problem is water in system.
If you have a old dryer in turtle your compressor couldn’t work properly
if the dryer is wet enough its just freezing and closes the system than you hear “jin jin” suspenaion fault, 50km max, normal height only codes

land rovers has a very simple repair kit for hitachi compressor
very easy job. Problema with dryer is very harsh. Dryer doesn’t sell separately anymore. Welcome to capitalism. If you need a new dryer you have buy a new compressor. Brilliant

i am doing this job every 2 years. Just cooking the interior of dryer in a microwave oven solves many issues.
Dont forget to clean eas exhaust muffler and replace the eas fuse

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Water is definately an enemy of the EAS in the winter, I've seen some reservoir tanks with a half gallon of nasty stinking gross water sitting in them. Not only is it bad for the air in the system it will rot your tank out, and freeze up in the lines, valve blocks and fittings. Don't know why the tanks don't have some kind of drain valve on them (OK maybe someone will open the drain and get crushed by the collapsing suspension as air pressure drops) to get the water out, but the older ones 2002 to probably 2008's or so should probably drop the tank and drain anything inside it, as they are pushing 10 to 16 years of use by now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Water is definately an enemy of the EAS in the winter, I've seen some reservoir tanks with a half gallon of nasty stinking gross water sitting in them. Not only is it bad for the air in the system it will rot your tank out, and freeze up in the lines, valve blocks and fittings. Don't know why the tanks don't have some kind of drain valve on them (OK maybe someone will open the drain and get crushed by the collapsing suspension as air pressure drops) to get the water out, but the older ones 2002 to probably 2008's or so should probably drop the tank and drain anything inside it, as they are pushing 10 to 16 years of use by now.
Thank you for the suggestion, but not to sound stupid, but I would like to know where is the location of thus reservoir tank so it can be removed and drain of any water inside of it. At this point I am so frustrated with this that I am seriously considering changing the suspension to conventional no air suspension and avoid this nuisance. I love this car but there are some issues that are really annoying and they will happen when you most need the car.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Its up under the passenger side doors, under the sill its a round cylinder about 4" in diameter and 40" or so long (unless you have the early 2007 and before version in which case its a shorter and taller tank). They are held in by 4 10mm bolts, plus an air line. Not a tough job to get out (assuming the bolts come loose), probably 20 minutes unless you have side steps, then you have to remove those first. You have to bleed out the air pressure so make sure the truck is well supported before attempting this job. Theres a few pictures in the side step thread from November 2018.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts