RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have these errors: Air Suspension Inactive, DCS Inactive, Trans. failsafe prog. Brake, DSC, ABS lights on.

This happened randomly 2 weeks ago while driving around town and the error messages never went away. The battery was disconnected after this problem to work on some other stuff on the truck, still the errors remained.

All the fuses look OK.
I did not try anything else.

Any advise?
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Steering Angle Sensor reset did clear the faults. However, same faults came back after 5 miles of city driving. My steering is a bit off center. Being slight off in alignment, would it cause this?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
I had the same thing.....followed by a small heart attack (bad joke). A single fault caused all of the faults to pop up simultaneously. It was a leak in one of the front ride height bags. Replaced them with Arnott units under extended warranty.

If one of the bags is partially under or over inflated, it will cause your steering issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just took some readings on wheel speed. As you can see, they are not reading the same. The higher speed matches the approximate travel speed. I am guessing this is a speed sensor? Or abs sensor? Are they the same thing?

I read these parameters under transmission; there was no parameter to read the rear wheels. So I am guessing it's not the abs sensors?...not sure yet.

https://youtu.be/VOHEywtMNSg

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd check the battery voltage, you should have 12.6volts with the engine off and 14.4volts with the engine on...

Speed sensors are a red herring, your car only uses the rear drivers ABS sensor to measure speed.... although the other sensors can read speed they are not used by the car, if the low battery voltage doesn't fix your car then you need a proper code read with a better tool to get to the bottom of it.....

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
I'd check the battery voltage, you should have 12.6volts with the engine off and 14.4volts with the engine on...

Speed sensors are a red herring, your car only uses the rear drivers ABS sensor to measure speed.... although the other sensors can read speed they are not used by the car
I disagree. They are used in plausibility testing vs the steering angle sensor position. If the wheel is straight, and all the tires are traveling the same speed, the signal is verified as plausible. If the wheel is offset 30 degrees, but the sensors STILL report consistent speeds, an error is detected. This is why if you need an alignment, driving with the wheel off will cause the aforementioned lights to illuminate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disagree. They are used in plausibility testing vs the steering angle sensor position. If the wheel is straight, and all the tires are traveling the same speed, the signal is verified as plausible. If the wheel is offset 30 degrees, but the sensors STILL report consistent speeds, an error is detected. This is why if you need an alignment, driving with the wheel off will cause the aforementioned lights to illuminate.
I just got the alignment done, using the proper alignment machine, Hunter Hawkeye. I also go the 20" wheels balanced using the Hunter 9700.

It did not solve the problem. I did notice after driving the car for a bit, if I shut it down and restart it after a few minutes, these errors are gone.

I am planning on replacing the brake light switch tomorrow; current one seems to be working OK when I randomly checked it's operation.

I am really not sure why the discrepancy in speed between front left and front right. It is basically 50% in difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts