RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any members with a knowledge of the air suspension on a 2011 RR Vogue D, care to share a bit with me.
I know that there are tons of info scattered over the net, but I seem to be missing some of the basics.
My main problem is the dreaded yellow "Suspension Fault" about 30 mins of driving, and I get code C1130 Air spring supply

When this happens vehicle seems to drive normally, but I have a few concerns.
1/ I pulled the relay, result no loss of air overnight. Think this might be a mistake as I should have pulled the fuse? my research found out the compressor is not used and systems only lower overnight? so I will be testing again this time with the fuse removed.
2/ drilled hole in compressor exhaust port, this seemed to free up the compressor a bit...could be wishful thinking
3/ My compressor seems to run quite a lot, a bit more than I would have thought the system was designed for. is it normal for the struts to expel air while normal driving to keep the vehicle level.
4/ are there any part location fault check diagrams (I found one for the Disco but none for the 2011 Vogue).
5/ does the air from the compressor, go to this component in this order:-
A/ reservoir
B/ distribution valve
C/struts
D/ Whats the normal line pressure
6/ How can I identify what brand of compressor to order rings.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

stan
`

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
280 Posts
The EAS compressor’s ten years old, as are the airbags on the “four corners”.

You likely have a combination of issues which may account for your 30 min warning light.

If your car’s suspension airbags have been leaking (or if you or a previous owner regularly used the access button to lower the car often when parking) your EAS compressor’s been working overtime.

Not such a problem when new but more so after ten years of use.

So, next time you can leave the car on level ground for 36-48 hrs exit the car at regular height and disconnect the battery (under the hood/bonnet) by detaching the -ve connector using a 10mm wrench/spanner.

The reason for disconnecting the battery is to ensure that the EAS doesn’t electronically self-compensate during this following “test”.

Measure and record the height from the ground to the top center of the front bumper (under the grill).

Then, measure and record the height from the ground to a reference point on both rear wheel arches.

Leave the car for at least 36 hours then go back and measure those corresponding heights and check to see if there’s any difference/change after that time.

If there is, (ie your car is now lower than previously recorded at one of the measurement reference points) you have a “mechanical” leak in one or more airbag. If not - that’s good (buy a lottery ticket).

Assuming no drop/leak (unlikely but possible) remove your spare wheel cover so you can more easily hear the compressor - better yet, remove the spare wheel and the four 8mm bolts holding the upper half of the compressor’s insulated cover and then reconnect the -ve battery terminal. Don’t forget to tighten it!

With your phone on hand, start your car AND hit the stopwatch timer on your phone so that you can record the length of time the EAS compressor runs until it cuts out. Go to the rear of the car, and open the upper and lower tailgate. MAKE SURE to close your driver’s door after you exit or the EAS will not work correctly (common error).

With the car running, you should hear your EAS compressor run for around 2-3 minutes in order to fill the EAS system and top off the air reservoir.

Record the length of time the compressor runs before cutting out.

Once you’ve accomplished these steps please report back with your results.

Rob

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
531 Posts

You likely have a combination of issues which may account for your 30 min warning light.

If your car’s suspension airbags have been leaking (or if you or a previous owner regularly used the access button to lower the car often when parking) your EAS compressor’s been working overtime.

So, next time you can leave the car on level ground for 36-48 hrs exit the car at regular height and disconnect the battery (under the hood/bonnet) by detaching the -ve connector using a 10mm wrench/spanner.

The reason for disconnecting the battery is to ensure that the EAS doesn’t electronically self-compensate during this following “test”.

Measure and record the height from the ground to the top center of the front bumper (under the grill).

Then, measure and record the height from the ground to a reference point on both rear wheel arches.

Leave the car for at least 36 hours then go back and measure those corresponding heights and check to see if there’s any difference/change after that time.

If there is, (ie your car is now lower than previously recorded at one of the measurement reference points) you have a “mechanical” leak in one or more airbag. If not - that’s good (buy a lottery ticket).

Assuming no drop/leak (unlikely but possible) remove your spare wheel cover so you can more easily hear the compressor - better yet, remove the spare wheel and the four 8mm bolts holding the upper half of the compressor’s insulated cover and then reconnect the -ve battery terminal. Don’t forget to tighten it!

With your phone on hand, start your car AND hit the stopwatch timer on your phone so that you can record the length of time the EAS compressor runs until it cuts out. Go to the rear of the car, and open the upper and lower tailgate. MAKE SURE to close your driver’s door after you exit or the EAS will not work correctly (common error).

With the car running, you should hear your EAS compressor run for around 2-3 minutes in order to fill the EAS system and top off the air reservoir.

Rob
Woaawww Rob, great explanation. If leonardo da vinci has a air leak he would’ve write this post. Perfect

If Op has a 2006-2009 rover with hitachi I would suggest little bit maintenance on compressor. Little Rebuilding compressor with Oem repair kit and drying the dryer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Rob
Hi Rob,
Bad weather been holding things up, thanks for your advice,

Here's some more information
my plan..
check compressor timing as suggested.
overhaul compressor,
check timing for comparison.
then height test.

Yesterday, sitting at the lights, dash said "off-road selected" return to normal after obstacle cleared for a few seconds.

yesterday I got a RED suspension alert.
pulled over and I could hear regular puff of air form the compressor.....puff......puff.....puff until all the air exhausted.
switched ignition off/on fault cleared, compressor started, selected rise, suspension returned to normal height.

So I wondering would a faulty ide adjuster trigger a yellow or red warning

Thanks so far Stan

Note I am duplicating this reply message to other members who are offering advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woaawww Rob, great explanation. If leonardo da vinci has a air leak he would’ve write this post. Perfect

If Op has a 2006-2009 rover with hitachi I would suggest little bit maintenance on compressor. Little Rebuilding compressor with Oem repair kit and drying the dryer.

Thanks I am going to time test and then fit new ring in the compressor
rgards

stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts