RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 RR HSE with about 47K miles on it. I also have a GM warranty which is supposed to be quite comprehensive--at least that was what was advertised. I live in NY state but am currently in Miami FL and have been having some issues.

About 9 months or so ago, I had a cracked windshield and it was being replaced by a 3rd party thru my insurance. They must have left a light on or something else, but the car had to be jump started later (didn't drive it for a few days to let the glass seal). After that point, I began receiving warnings of "air suspension inactive". The car had no issues. I was in VA a couple months later, and we happened to get a full servicing of the car there. We were told that the air suspension would likely not be covered under warranty as it was considered "wear and tear." They were going to look further into it, but by that time we had left town and the car was issue free.

Now in FL, the light continues to come on (and some points it is off--50/50) and the car's vertical height keeps shifting. At times it rises in the front and almost starts bouncing like a car that has hydraulics in it. I lower the height and it sometimes goes down, other times it doesn't. I feel that it could be dangerous and have lost confidence in driving it.

I called a dealer here and they were unaware of the GM warranty and suggested that fixing it would be very expensive. Obviously, I will research more into my policy from where it was purchased, but does anybody know if this is something that would be typically covered in an extended warranty? Or is it "wear and tear"?

Secondly, what is going on with this car? Is it dangerous?

I'm admittedly not mechanically-inclined so I would appreciate any advice on how to to go forward. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It might just be a problem with a sensor. I had intermittant EAS inactive errors over a few months and chose to ignore them as the car was otherwise ok, but eventually they were permanently on and other warning lights started to come on. a new Steering Angle Sensor fix all these complaints.
I never had erratic height adjustment on the move, but when entering/leaving the Rover it would raise and lower itself unexpectedly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help. I scheduled a service with the dealer for Monday. Does anybody know if air suspension issues are covered by decent extended warranties? Or should I expect to pay out of pocket?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Unless you're in the habit of napping under the vehicle, there is almost nothing imaginable that could be dangerous on your EAS. :roll: There are all sorts of safetys built in. It does sound like a poss sensor problem - although there are quite a few poss causes. You'll need to get the fault codes read. Make sure you have an experienced tech - fault codes are not always the end-all solution. If your warranty is actually quite comprehensive, it should cover nearly everything in the EAS except for possibly the airbags which could be considered a wear item. But then you would have a leak - and that doesn't seem to be your prob.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Stevemfr said:
Unless you're in the habit of napping under the vehicle, there is almost nothing imaginable that could be dangerous on your EAS. :roll: There are all sorts of safetys built in. It does sound like a poss sensor problem - although there are quite a few poss causes. You'll need to get the fault codes read. Make sure you have an experienced tech - fault codes are not always the end-all solution. If your warranty is actually quite comprehensive, it should cover nearly everything in the EAS except for possibly the airbags which could be considered a wear item. But then you would have a leak - and that doesn't seem to be your prob.
that sounds like a stuck valve or bad height sensor, but going to full height unexpectedly could be catistrophic at speed, I don't know if the warranty will cover it, but get it fixed quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I'm out of town and I took it to one of the local Land Rover dealerships. They diagnosed the following: faulty sensor for the suspension, as well as a coolant temp and O2 sensor fault which resulted in a SES light right before I brought it in. They also told me my rear brakes--pads and rotors as well as sensors needed to be replaced. I also had an oil change done. I took them at their word and had them do the brakes and also had the oil done as it had been about 10 months and I had a long drive ahead of me. The other things including the suspension were to be covered by warranty.

I picked up the car and as soon as I turned it on, it started rising and then turned it off and it lowered again. I drove about 0.1 miles an the "inactive air susp" light again came on. I turned right around to the dealer. The service tech who had been working on it, had left--and I was to leave the car overnight again so they can fix it.

In addition, they drove the car 60 miles since I left it there. I told this to the service advisor and he said--30 for precheck, and 30 for post. I told him that this did not make any sense to me. He seemed like a nice guy thru my conversation and not sure if he was covering up for somebody else. He was quite apologetic about the suspension issue still being present and now the car is there for further repair.

I would really like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt as they are an official dealership but I'm now fearing a few things:

1) Did they ever fix the suspension? After 60 miles of "test" driving, the fault should have reappeared--it did instantly when I took the keys.

2) If they did fix the sensor, did they do a proper check for other issues?

3) I have lost faith in them, so is it possible that they also did not change the brakes and oil?

4) Is there any valid explanation for 60 miles of test driving? It really feels like a joy ride. Who is responsible/accountable for this? What would you do next?

I feel like I'm in a bind. I have a long road trip ahead of me, and I need to get it fixed as I am out of town. I got the brakes done on good faith as well. My wife is the primary driver and with 2 little kids, it is tough to get a large enough loaner, xfer the car seats, etc--so when there is a service opportunity, we just opted to get done whatever was necessary.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
shupack said:
that sounds like a stuck valve or bad height sensor, but going to full height unexpectedly could be catistrophic at speed, I don't know if the warranty will cover it, but get it fixed quickly.
That would be 2 stuck valves - inlet and corner. Have you actually ever heard of this happening? On a P38? On a MKIII? From a reliable source? It seems very unlikely.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I've seen leaky valves, just needs to be the corner, when it opens the inlet for another corner it'll rise unexpectedly.

The p38 will do this sometimes if the compressor relay sticks (just remembered this one from another thread, p38 doing the same thing.....) because the ECU won't know the comp is running, when it tries to lower it'll rise instead because of the way the dryer circuit works. The MkIII is similar mechanically, not sure of the electronics setup but it could have a similar result.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Hi Ozone - that does sound a bit suspect. :think: 60 miles is a lot for test drive. As far as your concern on the brakes being done, ask to see the replaced parts if you smell a rat. The oil you should be able to check yourself. Other than the unusual 60 miles put on your truck, I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. Did they top up your fuel for you?

Mike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I went back in last Friday after they told me the job was completed. The service advisor I have been dealing with has been very courteous and apologetic about the issues. I picked up the truck, and about 5 miles driving onto the highway, I again got the inactive air suspension alert and the truck started to rise on highway speed--at least 50mph. I turned right around back to the dealership.

The SA told me to stick around until they figured out what was going on. I had been reading another thread and told him to check the battery and connections. After 1.5 hours, he came back to me and told me they could not figure out what was going on. They were having no error codes. He then told me to stick around a bit more. After about 4 hours since I got there (and I was willing to wait) they determined the ECU was at fault.

I spoke to him today and the warranty is approving it and it should be arriving tomorrow. I really hope that this is the problem. I am leaving town on Wednesday and have to take the vehicle back home. I'm not sure if I mentioned this in the thread earlier, but the problem began when I had to jump start the car (air suspension alert but no symptoms) last year.

They did test drive it another 25+ miles again but they added more than a 1/4 tank of gas. I believe after I raised concerns about the excessive mileage. At this point, the mileage is a moot point. I just want my car to be fixed and free of the headache...I have a long drive ahead of me and running out of time.

I spoke to a service tech and he said he detected no leaks or issues (other than the sensor they replaced). He seemed confident it would be the ECU. The SA says he's never seen a problem like this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update: Just got a call that the ECU is on back order and they won't have it for over a week. I have about 700+ miles of driving coming up and have no option but to take this car. I've read that keep the trunk latch open will deactivate the air suspension. Will this prevent the rising/lowering and allow me to drive at highway speeds?

I need to get back and then will try to get the issue taken care of at my local LR dealer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What happens if you just unplug the EAS ECU (under the left side of the dash)? Pulling the fuse under the hood may work too but I don't know if that would have other effects.

Assuming there is no leak you should maintain normal ride height and you won't have the worry about the ECU getting funny ideas. I haven't tried myself, but I think the vehicle would still be fully operational otherwise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will there be any ill effects of pulling it under the dash if there is a leak? How do I find this plug? I'm hoping the trunk latch thing works as it would be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
ozone said:
Will there be any ill effects of pulling it under the dash if there is a leak? How do I find this plug? I'm hoping the trunk latch thing works as it would be the easiest solution.
If there is a leak and you pull the plug on the ECU, then it won't keep re-inflating the bladder(s) to keep you at normal height. If there is no leak, then it should just stay at normal height for weeks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can, delay the trip and get it fixed. It would be hard for me to drive 700+ miles knowing that there is something wrong with my car. I had the suspension faults on my dash before about 3 weeks ago too and LR Cerritos changed two sensors (I believe one of them controlled the rear height?) and the faults never came back. I thought computer can detect all fault codes and they can trace the defect without having to guess for bad parts. Isn't this the reason why we take our vehicles to the dealers?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
petery said:
the defect without having to guess for bad parts. Isn't this the reason why we take our vehicles to the dealers?
yes, but the codes are only as good as the programming, detective work is almost always needed to get to the root of the problem. The p38 is notorious for misleading fault codes, the LM is better, but not perfect...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I would give some follow-up on this case. After spending over an agonizing week at a dealer in Florida, I had to leave. I took it to a dealer in Virginia, and they were able to fix it quickly. No ECU or anything else needed. They just reprogrammed the sensors and there were no more error codes or problems. I was charged a small fee $100 something which I was glad to pay and the problem was solved. The vehicle has been driving fine for well over a month and I have renewed confidence in it.

I think the dealer in Florida had no clue--the guys in Virginia were able to fix it immediately over a weekend. Very professional, very competent. Thanks to all on the forum for your advice and help last month. I've been meaning to post this for awhile but it totally slipped my mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts